Dayton Vs. Solen caps?

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,935
edited August 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Whats the difference? They both have 5% tolerance and all that - everything looks the same, except the price.

So whats the difference?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2005
    After shopping around it seemed to me it was cheaper to order from partsconnexion than through partsexpress who has the Daytons.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,665
    edited August 2005
    http://ldsg.snippets.org/appdx-ec.php3#CAPS

Scoll down.

Dayton caps are made by Bennic, which are used in B&W crossovers. If you like the sound of B&W's then the you'll like Bennic caps. If, like me, you think B&W's sound like crap you'll buy the Solen's or another brand.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2005
    We conducted a test last October at Parts Express' annual DiY speaker event with the same crossover using Dayton and Kimber Kap capacitors. The Dayton caps actually sounded better to the majority, but the "golden ears" couldn't distinguish between them.

Save your money for something else and get the Daytons.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    I took a 12.0mF cap as a sample for both Dayton and Solen. The Solen is $4.84 and the Dayton is $3.55. We're not talking much money to begin with here, so I can't see not going with the Solen's as a well respected budget cap. I've never read or heard about Kimber making caps. Do you have a link?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Hmmm......interesting. I noticed they don't have a big value selection, only have a 10% tolerance (same as Dayton) and look like rebadged Auricaps including the yellow body with red and black colored leads.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Just found this from Blue Circle Audio.

"The high-end component list includes brands such as Cardas, Quad Eutectic solder, Kimber Kaps, Jena Labs internal wiring, Neutrix Shallco military grade volume controls and selectors switches with silver contacts and stainless shaft. Solen Fast Caps operate in harmony with two 6922 vacuum tubes."

They use both Kimber and Solen........hmmmmm.

President of Club Polk