Home-Run Ideas

rskarvan
rskarvan Posts: 2,374
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Every once in a while, a manufacturer hits a real home run in the marketplace.
First, there was the new VW Beetle. Then, there was the PT Cruiser.
Both of these very successful vehicles are retro-based designs with modern components.
Another example is the Kawasaki ZRX M/C…. yet another retro design with modern components.

What I am suggesting is very simple - and deserves to be produced.
Lets take a few Classic Polk Speaker designs from days-long-passed and build
them into new speakers with modern day components (kevlar drivers, 40Khz Tweeters, etc).

Perhaps, Polk could test this market by introducing just two speakers.
I would suggest the SRS 1.2 and the CRS+ designs.
Both of these speakers are highly unique and carry quite a bit of nostalgia value.
The SRS 1.2 could be like the Dodge Viper - designed to draw the crowd into the retailer.
Then, the consumer would go home with a set of "CRS+Retro's" (or, maybe a Monitor 10 Retro)
and be pleased.

This time though, Polk can take the 15 to 20 years of experience and build them way
better than the way they were before. But, rather than making them look space-age glossy….
Polk should stick to the visual styling que's from the past. Real Oak veneer. Lots of
Pretty wood showing. Cartoon'ish logo with the big heart. And, absolutely no AC power cords.

This wouldn't be a step backwards. But, rather, this would be a step to diversify the audio market.
Some people actually liked the big monuments in their living room.
Think about it… big screen TV's took off. Big speakers deserve the same opportunity.

I'm really not much of a retro guy. Generally, I really like modern designs.
But, that's not to say that I don't appreciate some true classics from the past.
Of course, this entire line should incorporate SDA technology.
This time, the drivers will be angled slightly; thus, improving the SDA effect.
And, maybe a switch can be included to turn on or off the SDA feature based upon
customer preference or whim (similar to bipole/dipole switches).

Think about it.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited September 2001
    I completely agree! Sounds like a great idea.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited September 2001
    Ron,
    While you make quite an argument, and eloquently as well, there are not enough of us. I hope I'm wrong. Over 26,000 registered users. How many of US are there?

Your argument has great merit right now. It will have greater merit, and much more impact, after the pendulum swings and Jose 6-pack, and most of the yuppie/New Age crowd falls out of love with Bose type sub/sat systems.

You have NO IDEA how bad I hope I'm wrong.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited September 2001
    Ron:

I agree with this. Realize though, that there is a group of us in here that for quite some time now have been beating on Polk's doors to bring back the monster SDA's of old.

In Polk's defense though and as George stated, there may not be enough of us out there to warrant Polk spending the cash to develop a new line of speakers that may very well fail. When I say fail, I mean fail in sales and appeal to the girly cube loving people of today, not fail in terms of quality. Polk has the technology and smarts to make an unbelievable line of new SDA's.

The SDA line of old was discontinued because people either did not have the room to set them up properly or large speaker hating nick nack loving wives refused to allow their hubbies to buy them because they do not go with the decor of the home (although they really are beautiful looking speakers and compliment any home). Girly cubes and slimline towers were/are the compromise. Polk ain't the only speaker company that had to change their ways. Atleast Polk kept the quality of sound, whereas others failed miserably (aka...Infinity, Acoustic Research, etc...).

It was mentioned a little while back that some interest in reintroducing the SDA's was going around inside of Polk. Nothing else was mentioned recently about this. Not sure if Polk can give us any insite. Some things have to be kept secret. Polk is a great company and knows how to take care of it's customers. They won't let us down!

John
    No excuses!
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited September 2001
    All I can do is make sure that the people in the building who need to know this stuff from you guys see this thread.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2001
    Hey guys - I'm not the only one that thinks this way. Below are quotes about the Monitor 10 from audioreview. Lots of people want retro speakers.
    Here is proof of the market demand.

I got these as my first pair of speakers in 1985, and they have been my main speakers ever
    since. I still enjoy listening to them. I've replaced my other stereo equipment, but not my trusty
    Polk 10Bs!

If you find a used pair in good condition, snap them up! Congrats to Polk for a classic
    Speaker

Monitor 10s are really fun to watch when driven hard because the woofers look like they are
    going to pop out, but they never do. An awesome speaker that will last for decades. Truly a
    classic.

These is great sounding speakers for the money. They are very revealing with a full, deep
    soundstage for the music. Too bad Polk doesn't make such quality soundings speakers
    anymore today! I am amazed at how they compare to many current speakers at even twice
    the original Polk price. A classic speaker design!

This was one of the speakers that earned Polk Audio
    much respect in the affordable segment of high end speakers.

A wonderful speaker, and it does my heart good
    to see I'm not the only one still enjoying what may well be the cleanest, best imaging
    speaker ever made in the price range. Matthew Polk, please go back to the future.

it's hard to beleive these speakers still sound as good as they do even
    compared to today's models. i just wish polk still made a speaker just like this with updated
    drivers.

The local dealer said these were classics which were better than the current Polks. My ears
    agreed. I also felt the newer speakers were aimed at households where space and decor
    were more important than the presence of large speakers. I still believe this is true and if
    space and supply allow, anyone might do well to buy a set of these used. I wish Polk had
    focused on this with later speakers.

I have also spoken to several audophiles who believe
    that Polk products were much better sounding and better built back in the 80's, since Polk
    'had something to prove', and was trying to gain respect and recognition in the cutthroat and
    ruthless audiophile world.

In retrospect, I'm really glad I drove 50 miles to Beverly Hills Stereo
    to pick these up... back when Polk was just starting to gain their reputation. I had no idea I
    was buying such a classic speaker!

I too have owned my Polk Monitor 10B's for about 10 years and I am still falling in love with them.

I will never part with my Polks and agree with most of the folk who say that the modern Polks don't compare...they don't.

Wow - Have to agree with other reviewers; I'm surprised to see reviews still around for these
    speakers. I bought a new pair of these back in '92 and loved them. After one year I traded
    them in on a pair of used SRS 3.1 TLs that I still have today. Polk needs to get back to the
    monitor style speakers of old.

Just replaced mine after 18 years. Could never bring myself to replace them until now.
    These were the speakers that put Polk Audio on the map.

Wow, I wouldn't expect to see a review of these here, since Polk hasn't made them for many
    years. I've had my Monitor 10Bs for about ten years, and they were two years old when I bought them.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2001
    Let me just say that I would love to see Polk come out with a new SDA line ( I would love to have a pair of CRS's) ....

I would concur with John, I also have my doubts if such a speaker would sell and in the final analysis that is the decisive factor. The majority of the speaker market, right, wrong or indifferent is aimed in a different direction: HT rather than 2ch music. And in the end you have to build what sells. I think the introduction of the LSi line is a step in the right (albeit not SDA) direction.

I am also going to disagree to a certain extent about the monitors being superior to the RT line. I have a friend that has an older set of Monitor 7's (b, I think) and they are great speakers but I will put my RT7's up against them in terms of sound quality....just my opinion.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut