rxv800 or htr5560?

MxStYlEpOlKmAn
MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
edited June 2002 in Electronics
people that own or heard these yamaha receiver tell me which ones you like...
rxv800 or htr5560
Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
I promised myself
No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
Damn you all! - ATC
Post edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn on

Comments

• dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited June 2002
    i have a vx-v1200 and love it :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    The htr series of Yamaha is a stripped down version of it's rxv counterpart.The rxv line is the way to go if your into Yamaha.What you save by buying the htr line you loose by not buying the rxv line.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited June 2002
    The htr series of Yamaha is a stripped down version of it's rxv counterpart.The rxv line is the way to go if your into Yamaha.What you save by buying the htr line you loose by not buying the rxv line.

I dunno! The RX-V800 is the EXACT SAME RECEIVER as the HTR-5280! The same! No difference! Same thing! Exactly the same! Test it if you must, but the exact same receiver!

KING WANNABE
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Tell you what,
    you go talk to a Yamaha rep as I did and find out for yourself.
    Answer me this, if it's the same exact receiver why do they have different model numbers??Do you know why??I do.
    Dan
  • nascarmann
    edited June 2002
    Same thing! I know you dont like to be wrong, but you are!

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gAVR00010RX-V800

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gAVR00010HTR-5280

Same receiver! THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE NUMBER ON THE FRONT!

KING WANNABE
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2002
    Answer me this, if it's the same exact receiver why do they have different model numbers??Do you know why??I do.
    I know why Denon does it (marketing issues). They have two model numbers for the EXACT same reciever. One is for the "mass" market and the other is for the audio shops. They report the power differently on the mass market lines to match the way their competition lists power ratings. They even share the same manual. (ie 1802/882 operating manual). Does Yamaha do this for the same reason?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • stef_000us
    stef_000us Posts: 29
    edited June 2002
    Found this on the yamaha site:

What Is The Difference Between The RX-V Line And The HTR Line?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/faqs/av_receivers/faq00.htm
  • nascarmann
    edited June 2002
    Like I said! The RX-V800 and the HTR-5280 are the same thing!

KING WANNABE
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    nascarmann,
    I don't mind being wrong,its a good way to learn.
    But I will fill you in on the other side.I talked to Yamaha rep when I worked for Tweeter,He told be that the htr line has a cheaper power supply and amps.The caps are cheaper as well.The rxv line gets the premium amps/caps/power supplies.That was words right out of his mouth.There are other small differences but I don't remember them all right now, if you really want to know I could find his bussiness card and give him a call for you.
    The hrt line is made for Sears, best buy and stores like that, the rxv line is made for higher end audio stores, the better product.
    Dan
  • nascarmann
    edited June 2002
    Don't know why he would tell you that becuz it is wrong! I have had both of these apart and can tell you they are the exact same thing! Pull them apart and "test" for yourself!:D

KING WANNABE
  • stef_000us
    edited June 2002
    Hi Mantis,

I am hearing what you are saying. I am really curious in this thread since I own a htr-5560. This model been the highest of the htr line, it feel like most of the difference is marketing positionning (agree that there might be some hidden difference to lower the manufacting cost also but I think they mainly cut their profit margin on this one to compete in the mass market).

Something puzzeling if you have time to check on Yamaha Web site. Compare the spec of the htr-5550 and the htr-5560. Beside some external features, there seems to be a more serious difference between these two models. The dynamic power ratio in 8/4 ohms is better in the htr-5560 line that is in the htr-5550 line. Even comparing with some rx-v model, they are listing a lot more features on the web for these that they are for the HTR-5560. However... the 5560 seems to have most of the feature (but not spell as lenghtly on the web describtion). Interesting also that the HTR line seems to be available only in North America.

I dunno. But the high-end of the htr line (htr-5560) seems to be mainly a marketing decision to compete in the mass market.

If you have a chance to look at the specs, please let me know your thoughts.

Stef
  • stef_000us
    edited June 2002
    If you want to make the comparaison to the extreme, compare the HTR-5560 to the RX-V3200.

Is the RX-3200 a better receiver? Of course it is... But let's talk about value also and check the price. RX-V3200 MSRP is $1699. HTR-5560 MSRP is $499. That's $1200 more or 3.4 times the price.

I wouldn't be surprise that the profit margin on the HTR-5560 is in the range of $50 and the RX-V3200 in the range of $800. But again, this is total speculation on my part.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited June 2002
    lol...LOL! i want to know which one is better but i think i will end of getting the 800...i've bought a cheap line from sony before and ill never make that mistake again...i dont like sony either...sony could use their products as toilet paper for all i care...LOL!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • nascarmann
    edited June 2002
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn,

I own the RX-V800 and think for the money it is a great receiver. Having said that, if you can find a deal on a HTR-5280 buy it! It is as I have stated the exact same receiver as the 800! And an amp and you can become a wannabe!:lol:

KING WANNABE
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    I dunno....seemed like that FAQ from the Yammie website was pretty convincing that the only differences were cosmetic. Having said that, Denon does the same thing with the line they sell at Sears. It is the exact same thing, different name. I am actually surprised Yamaha was that frank about them being the same, admitting that the only differences are cosmetic. If you call Denon and ask they will tell you but I don't think it's in print anywhere.

The reason they do it so it would appear that a place like Tweeter doesn't carry the same piece of gear as Sears. Yammie does the same thing. For the mass market version, the rating at 1000hz is higher so it makes it look better on paper.

Funny stuff, brohams, funny stuff.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    'Do you know why??I do.'

Mantis, we listen, we wait, but we may not believe you....

Cheers,
    Laughing Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    It would seem that the Yammie rep that Mantis spoke to and the folks who put stuff on the website need to get thier stories straight.......

I doubt that we will ever hear the reconciliation though....

BDT
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    I read the post on the Yamaha website.It's funny the rep told me different.He said the HTR lines were made for store like what carry them,he also said the rxv line was a better line and had better parts in them.I don't have anthing to do with that, just what I was told from the factory direct rep.
    I would like to speak to him about this, I don't care to receive false info,I really don't care to pass it on.
    I will find out the truth for you guys if you want to know.I can find out tomarrow.I will call his ****.
    But I will tell you guys who own or want to own Yamaha...they make really good receivers.They are one of the most dynamic receivers on the market.HTR or RXV your getting a good receiver.
    Sorry I didn't post back sooner,I didn't realise this post continued.
    Dan
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited June 2002
    The moral of the story: reps don't know everything. I do (whoops, the keyboard just got away from me there). :)

Aaron
  • dlew308
    edited June 2002
    The guy at GoodGuys told me the rx-v line was better, perhaps because they sell them. They also sell the htr one w/ speakers combo so I asked him the difference between the two. I can't recall what he said. Where I bought my 1200, he also told me the rx-v line was better, they sold both htr & rx-v....the mystery lingers on.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    A sales rep LIE?

Who would have ever thought that would ever happen. :rolleyes:

BDT
  • stef_000us
    edited June 2002
    Going back to the original subject, anyone has thoughts about the HTR-5560 per se?

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/Features/?gAVR00010HTR-5560

Seems to me that for $499 this receiver bring an exceptionnal value in price/quality. I got the feeling that I would need to spend a *lot* more money when I am going to upgrade this to make a real significant difference in the sound.

Any thoughts around that?

Thanks,

Stef
  • dlew308
    edited June 2002
    You should be able to get it for ~$400-450
  • nascarmann
    edited June 2002
    I really like Yamaha stuff. Take the plung!

KING DRUNK
  • dlew308
    edited June 2002
    Ditto. I have a rx-v496 & rx-v1200 :)
  • jpepster
    jpepster Posts: 12
    edited June 2002
    went to good guys today here in los angeles. they have the rxv430 high current receiver for $299.00.
    Anyways the salesguy said it was high current. I'm interested in a great receiver for abot 300-350
    Confused. I do not want sony.
  • dlew308
    edited June 2002
    Ask to listen to it. My first yamaha was from GG.
    I asked em for a demo unit just to save a few $.
    He went back and later came back with one.
    How much was the rx-v530 or 630?
  • jpepster
    jpepster Posts: 12
    edited June 2002
    Good Guys do not have alot of the receivers hooked up to listen to it. The rx 530 is 399.00
    I will go to frys this weekend and see what they have.
  • dlew308
    edited June 2002
    Try listening at Ken Cranes.