Is this RTA 15TL?

Options
fredv
fredv Posts: 923
edited July 2005 in Vintage Speakers
These looks like RTA 15TL:
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/ele/82275300.html

Is this a fair price? How this compares to the SDA SRS 2.3? I am interested in adding these to my Polk collection.

Thanks,

-fredv-
Post edited by fredv on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Yep, that's them at a good price. Compare? Not in the same ball park, nor the same state.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• fredv
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Thank you, Jesse.
    This pair is no where near those you restored last year, and they are black. Overall condition is good except one of the driver's rubber surround is broken. For the rest, 2-3 hours of detail work should being it back to very good look. Since I don't see these locally too often, I decided to give them a good home. Next step, try repairing the surround, if fail, call Polk CS for a new MW6503 ;)

-fredv-
  • F1nut
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Fred,

You got a good deal, enjoy!

IMO, don't even waste your time trying to fix it. Call Polk, tell them you're a Club member to get the discount price.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Congrats Fred.

As a temporary fix I have used a hot glue gun to repair surrounds. The dried glue will stop the air puffing and can be easily peeled off. mw6503's were used in some Monitor 10's - you might already have one laying around.

Play around with the toe-in. The most dramatic effect I have experienced with the RTA 15TL is their soundstage DEPTH. Mine are set 8 inches away from the wall, about 3 feet from the side walls, and toed-in where I like them.
  • fredv
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tips.
    I listened to them for a couple hours and compared them to the 2.3. The SL3000's are smoother than the SL2000's. I really like it. I wonder the SL2000 silk dome replacement will sound anything like the SL3000!! Now, I think I will have to follow you to stock up some SL3000 just in case :p

-fredv-
  • F1nut
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Fred,

Dump the SL3000's, get the RD0198-1's. You can thank me later.

President of Club Polk

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and buy the RD0198-1 replacements. I bought some used SL-3000's for sentimental reasons fully knowing that their life expectancy is limited.

From what I have read, the silk replacements sound more natural and less "metallic".
  • fredv
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Steve, Jesse,

Advise well taken, I will order the SL3000 replacements and a new MW6503 tomorrow. I seem to remember that the new tweeters would need some break-in period like 60 hours, is that right?

Thanks,

-fredv-