Doesn't Sound The Same

tcollins
tcollins Posts: 3
edited June 2002 in Troubleshooting
6 months ago, I purchased an all new Home Theatre System with 55" Mit. letterbox. The audio system is Onkyo TX DS787, 2-Polk RT800i, 1-CS245, 2-F/X300i and PSW350. My movies ie; PEARL HARBOR sounds great with the effects, even the music. The problem I'm having is with my CD when playing big band sounds......it doesn't seem to have the nice mellow sounds I use to have and on some parts, not enough Bass at times. My old system was 30 years old consisted of 2-Sansui 80W speaker cabinets with 1-11/2 tweeter, 1-6" mid-range and 1-12" Woofer. I could go anywhere outside the room with the old system and still get consistant Base sound. With the new system I loose the base unless I turn the volume up to 80dB. My room is 18 ft' X 22'. I have been thinking about going to I1000, but then I would loose a midrange speaker. I love my theatre surround sound and don't want to loose the mid range. I have my bass turned up to 12 and my treble to 4-8. It still doesn't sound as mellow or balanced...........Any Suggestions? P.S. I also got a temporary BLUE LINE go across the top of my projection T.V. during one DRONING part of the movie when the ARIZONA was going over, then it was ok.. Any help? PSW TOO CLOSE TO T.V.?
Post edited by tcollins on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    Allright,
    you need bass.Lets start the setup over.
    turn the bass and treble controls to flat.
    Set the mains in large
    set the center to small
    set the rears to small
    if you have an adjustable crossover in your receiver, set it to 60 or 80 hz to start.
    I would like to know what receiver you own.This will allow me to help you further.
    Use a pressure meter to set system up.The system you own should provide plenty of low extention, we can dial in the sub to tune it to your room.We can also get it to work with 2 channel stereo.
    Post back exactly what you own and placement of the speakers and I can help you dial it all in.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tcollins
    edited June 2002
    MANTIS..The audio video receiver is an Onkyo TX DS787 with THX capability, 2-Polk RT800i, 1-CS245, 2-F/X300i and PSW350. The mains are 13' from were the sweet spot is, the 245 is 12', the PSW is 14' and the 2 F/X300's are 6' from the sweetspot. tcollins
    P.S. I do own a pressure meter........THANKS!
  • tcollins
    edited June 2002
    Say Mantis...I thought I would inform you that I'm going to want to put this into a wall cabinet along with my wife's stuff (antiques,etc) how else did you think I got this new system. I read where someone else in the forum has a PSW350 and you did not recommend putting it in the cabinet. My room size is 18' x 22' as I mentioned before and I wanted to let you know that the wall unit will be along the 18' end. I also mentioned in the 1st post that I had approx 1/4" Blue thin line go straight across the top part of the Big Screen during the sinking of the ARIZONA in Pearl Harbor. It just went across the screen and that was it. I don't want to mess up the projection thing. Where else can I put the PSW? Can I put it under the Grand Piano on the opposite end of the room or will I get the strings a strumming? HA! I'm running out of corners....No More Corners. FYI, I did blow out my flood lights on the other end of the room above the fireplace the same night I watched the BLUE Streak go across the T.V.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    As far as the tv,
    I would get someone ISF certified in your area to look at it.It could be just out of convergence or a crt might need fixing.
    The sub you own now I see why you don't have enough bass, that sub is slightly to small for the size room you have.I would go for a psw450 or 650, then your lows will come to life.
    I never with success but a sub into a cabnet.I have tried on so many different Installs and at home at one time,This just doesn't work well.Subs are ment to be free standing.
    I can however turn you on to a inwall sub.Sonance makes great ones as well as Alantic Technology.They require you ripping out an Intire cell but they don't take up any floor space.
    Dan
  • Handyhaver
    Handyhaver Posts: 66
    edited June 2002
    Hey Mantis,

I would like to hear your opinion this post when you get time.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4040

What part of PA you in??? Did I read in one of your post your in

Bryn Mawr??
    You can check out any time you like..,
    but you can never leave...........
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    I'm in Bucks county Pa, not far from Phila about 15 min or so.
    I read the post on the psw650.
    I don't normally set subs up this way, then again I really always ran as LFE out was always the first choice.In line level.
    The ReL sub can be set up speaker and line level at the same exact time.The Polk sub I'm not sure can handle 2 signals, theres only one crossover point so you couldn't fine tune both signals comming in.
    The Rel on the other hand can set 2 different setups for each input.There you can play music and run theater without keep changing your setup.
    You speakers should be set to small all the way around,check to see the spec's where they fall off in the hz .the Denon hass an adjustable crossover, you can select 80,100,150 If I remember correctly.
    The sub will work fine this way,run the sub in line level tothe LFE in and set the crossover in the receiver to closest point of the main speakers.
    We could talk further on placement to get the most out of that sub.
    Post back with your results,hope this helped.
    Dan