two RT35i used for center channel

msanders71
msanders71 Posts: 3
edited June 2002 in Speakers
I have a 245i as my center channel speaker right now. But you know it just doesn't have the juice. And looking at the other center channel's that Polk makes, I'm not sure it really makes economic sense. So I thought it would be great to use two RT35i speakers wired together in series. Does anybody see any possible problems with this?
Post edited by msanders71 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2002
    Sounds like a great ideal. I just picked up a pair of 35's for $260 better than the price cs400 $400 (which I think is still a good value). The most important thing now is to make SURE that your amp can handle a 4ohm load or do like I did with my main stack and wire in parellel. My reciever even stays cooler this way. Have Fun!!!
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited June 2002
    Wiring 2 Rt35i speakers in series doubles the impedance (16 ohms), while wiring in parallel cuts the impedance in half (4 ohms)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    what else are you running in your rig? The 245 is a pretty good center.......

There is a CS350LS on audiogon.com for 200 bones. That would be something to consider...

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2002
    Wiring 2 Rt35i speakers in series doubles the impedance (16 ohms), while wiring in parallel cuts the impedance in half
    Thanks, I sort of explained that backwards. You are correct.;)
  • msanders71
    edited June 2002
    My thanks to everyone who replied so quickly. Here is my setup now:

Sony reciever STRv-333ES 110W x 5 channel 4 0r 8 Ohm
    RT35i Front L/R
    245i center
    FX 300i Rear L/R
    16x12x14 foot room

I like the 245i. But it just doesn't have the presence that I want. How do you wire your speakers for parallel operation? And If I do go with parallel, what impedence should I set me reciever to? Because the other 8 Ohm speakers will also be getting a 4 Ohm load.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    I dunno....I'm not saying don't do it, but that's a pretty well matched system.

If you are convinced that's what you want to do....check this out, it lays it out pretty well.

http://www.lalena.com/audio/faq/wiring/

Troy
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited June 2002
    I allways thaught that this would mess up the imaging. I guess if they are placed right it should sound good. (Better then a center speaker.)
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited June 2002
    hey dude, if you're unhappy with the CS245, spend some bucks, get a better one, sell the cs245. Use 2 RT35s for the center channel? do you really want to get a double vision with your perfect vision? lighten up pal...get real...sounds good and must look right too...give it a serious thoughts. After all I think Troy is absolutely right...
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2002
    sounds good and must look right too
    I believe many people on this site will tell you ___ sounding right has nothing to do with looking right.:confused:
  • msanders71
    edited June 2002
    I don't think it will look bad in any way. I don't know where you guys put your center speakers? But the looks of it are the least of my wories. I know that the Polk configurator says it's a good match. And I'm not complaining about Polk. Polk is the ****. But this center isn't even as good as one RT35i, let alone two. I'm picking up a pair for $150. So I don't really see a down side to this. Before I get flammed for this, make sure you actually have compared the two. Or at least used a 245 center. It's everything one would expect from Polk. But it is not a good match for 35i's. My many thanks again to everyone who clued me in about parallel wiring.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    I don't think anyone is going to flame you for trying it, by all means, handle up if it works for you.

My major concern would be with the impedence...

Let us know how it works out for you.

Troy
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2002
    thanks again to everyone who clued me in about parallel wiring.
    That would have beem ME!!!! That is the way I found the best for my stack. And I think that two 35's will look pretty cool lying down tweeter to tweeter. Let us know how it works out and by the way $150 is smoking deal to us more. I just paid $260 for mine and I though that was cheap - from a authorized dealer. :cool:
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited June 2002
    I like Troy's idea, if you can get the CS350LS for 200 bucks, that's the best way to go, I'm sure you can also get the CS400i for about the same or a little bit more, your system probably will sound better with the CS400 since it has the same drivers as the RT35i...why spend anymore money and then to wire two speakers together? but it's your decision to make...that's my 02. cents...
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited June 2002
    The 245i will sound better than the 400i when matched with RT35i's for mains. The 400i will make it impossible to hear your 35i's, I know, I've tried it, at least running everything flat, that is.

If you're going to run a 400i, you'd better be running 55i's or 800i's for mains, unless you're confident in your ability to tweak.