SPL meter - sound investment?

2»

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited June 2002
    Naaaa......Id rather argue with you over anything then kiss you

Well, I tried? Think it fun though? If not I will stop!:rolleyes:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    TroyD,
    are you referring to me???I'm not quite sure what you mean my your post.
    That was a joke as well nasscarmann I'm a straight man with 2 kids
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2002
    Man, You guys are sooooo ****!!!!!!!!:lol:
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    not to beat a dead horse but the whole tonal shift thing....

In theory I get that each amp has it's own sound BUT, wouldn't that be the case with the amp in your powered tower as well? It certainly isn't the same as the amp in your receiver. How about the amp in the powered sub?

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    Alright,
    The amp built in to the powered tower I assume is matched to sound as close to the rest of the speakers as possible.I'm not sure on that but thats the best I can do on that.The mid to high's in the theater system are all running from 80hz and above,except the powered towers which cut off at 90 hz,this is where you can hear the biggest difference in tonal shifting.When you change one of the amps driving any of the speakers, you get a slightly different sound quality.When your watching movies,you want to watch the movie and not be distracted by the system.Its like changing one of the speakers and putting a different brand in place of one.It just sounds different.I call this tonal shift,as the tone from one to the next changes enough to sound different.
    Give this a try and see what you come up with.
    Back to the powered tower thing,your question is right on the money.Powered tower's are not for me anymore as I had problems getting them to sound right or good in my system.I wish back then Polk made a passive version of the rt1000 series,I like the tightness of the mid bass and high's in a sealed cabnet.The sub has been the problem all along.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.