what do yall think of wilson audio?

Options
MxStYlEpOlKmAn
MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
edited June 2002 in Speakers
I've never heard them...but i've seen them and i've heard their the 'Best'
Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
I promised myself
No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
Damn you all! - ATC
Post edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited May 2002
    Options
    The Best......Maybe to some.
    Wilson are some anal, tempermental speakers.You can't just mate them with any wire,amp source,pre amp.These speakers are the pickyest I have ever installed.Set up is a ****,like the watt puppies,one of the very best speakers in the world,you have to tilt, measure the watt to get the exact height and depth of the tweeter.Placement can make or break these speakers.The whole line is like that.
    I can tell you from experience with Wilson.....If set up right with the right amps and room placement, they can be deadly,if you go outside there world,they suck.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    Options
    about 7 or 8 yrs ago i listen to the frist watt puppes they sound awesome to me, they where set up with conrad johnson mono blocks amps, conrad johnson pre amp. i dont know how good the new one are, mybe all the tweeking from the original made them sound worse, sometimes tweeking dose that mybe with the right power supply like conrad johnson. will make them sing.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Jan H
    Jan H Posts: 7
    edited May 2002
    Options
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Options
    One of our big clients own Conrad Johnson tube mono blocks, I forget the model number but they are some huge amps.He owns about 15 different pairs of amps and all kinds of wire and speaker setups.The Conrad Johnson mated really well with the Martin Logan Monolith's.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Options
    On Wilson......

I have not found a dealer anywhere NEAR me to get a demo, but seeing that they use Focal drivers, I wonder if you could not get the same sound, or get pretty close at least with some less-expensive Jm Lab speakers (makers of Focal). I'd love to compare the two....

I can't imagine the physical nightmare having to mess with placement on the big Wilsons, doesn't the Grand Slamm come in at 700-something pounds each?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Options
    you couldn't even imagine how hard it is to set them up.The grand slam's have industrial casters on them,if they weren't there you would have a real problem setting them up.
    All Wison audio speakers are a Mother f***** to get right.
    Jm lab makes some great sounding speakers, not even in the same world as Wilson audio.Wilson also uses Dynaudio Driver's and tweeters.They change from speaker to speaker year to year.
    Russman,
    where are you from?We have all Wilson's speakers.You want to hear a sub?????you should hear there's........man breath taking.....simply put.
    Dan