LSi Series, Cherry vs. Ebony

cookaa
cookaa Posts: 49
edited May 2002 in Speakers
Anyone who has seen these models in real life have any input. The pictures on the internet look very different, On the polk page the black looks like black, and the cherry very bright, but on the soundstage review, the color looks dark brown, I don't know if that is the cherry or the black. I am at least 200 miles from the nearest dealer and don't want to make the trip to look at color, I am already set on the speakers.
Post edited by cookaa on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2002
    The cherry LSi9s I listened to were more like the cherry on the Polk site. The Soundstage picture does not look anything like what I saw. It may just be a bad picture. If you have seen any of the rt series in cherry they are very similar in color to the LSis.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • todd c
    todd c Posts: 5
    edited May 2002
    I have the LSi9s in black and was able to compare both black and cherry side by side. They are not really "black" as the web sites may appear but more of an dark walnut or other wood look. I originally wanted cherry but the "black" finish was tasteful and allowed the speakers to blend in with the rest of my system on an appearance basis.
  • cookaa
    edited May 2002
    Todd,
    Do the blacks look more like the link to the picture below, than the web site?

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3807

I have no way of seeing them in real life, and I was under the impression that the blacks were more black than this picture depicts?

Please let me know.
  • todd c
    todd c Posts: 5
    edited May 2002
    Cookaa

The ebony is a little bit darker than the picture depicts. I found the ebony an attractive look...much better than I thought. If the cherry look is too light for you, then I think you will be happy with the ebony look.
  • cookaa
    edited May 2002
    So would you say they are more like the polk web site "ebony" pictures, or the picture from the link above. The link above makes them look very brown, and I am not sure if they are more towards black, or towards this brown color. I am not to pleased that Polk depicts this black on their web site in a different way than it actually looks, and I have know way to see them in real life, no LSi dealer within 200 miles of Oregon.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited May 2002
    I went back to demo the LSi9s last week and this time they had a Ebony pair. It looked exactly like the color on Polk's website. I don't know where Soundstage got the picture that they are using and that has caused the questions but I have seen both the Cherry and the Ebony and the soundstage picture does not look like either one. They look like the website photos. If you are that concerned ask Micah or somone else at Polk to email you a picture of an actual speaker. I'm sure they have a speaker and a digital camera around.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cookaa
    edited May 2002
    Shack,
    Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure I was getting what I wanted, since its costing a pretty penny. The soundstage picture just confused me, I'm not sure where they got it, but a lot of people have had questions about what color it was supposed to be.
    Thanks for the Clarification
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited May 2002
    Hey cookaa, do you like the walnut color in the link ? It looks pretty good. I'd prefer it over the black (if I can only see a real photo of it) !
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • cookaa
    edited May 2002
    I am not a fan of the walnut. I like the black better. I emailed the soundstage review people, and he said he was not sure what the picture was showing, he is going to contact polk for more info on that strange color.
  • Jan H
    Jan H Posts: 7
    edited May 2002
    I purchased the LSi25's in cherry beecause my girlfriend (an accomplished wood worker), wanted to be able to stain the wood a color that resembles our bookcases (a dark cherry finish). The black color would not have been high on the WAF.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    Jan H, you got a wife in the 'WAF' and a girlfriend???:D

welcome to the forum, player...;)
  • Jan H
    Jan H Posts: 7
    edited May 2002
    Okay, I gaffed! Henceforth the term is GAF!