Tube tester Possibly for sale please read

faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited May 2005 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Ok now i know we all hate interest checks and this really isnt one.. But i'm torn, i want the money for something but want to have a tube tester... SO ... I have a sencore MU-140 tube tester that i got easter weekend from an old tech i knew when i lived in north florida.. Its the big model with all the tests, life test, blah blah blah... I paid alot for it because he really needed the money for health issues he had so i helped him out. But he no longer used any of his test equipment due to age and being out of the biz.. anyways... i recently found a mighty mite sencore tester that is small and portable and works fine for signal tubes and what i need it for... So im torn to sell this or keep it// hence the "check for interest" So i guess it is but ive been here a long time and think i deserve to use one now and then, :)
Its in great shape, come with a downloaded manual thats printed on computer paper, the original tube book glued in the tester and another updated book that comes out of the tester. I can post pics tomorrow if anyone is really interested.. It tests and seems to work fine although its old and would be sold as-is working...
I would like t o get back out of it what i paid $150.00 not counting the 2 hour drive to pick it up in lake county florida LOL.. for that price i will ship it fed ex ground insured .... look up ended auctions or yahoo it and see what it looks like until i post a picture..

show any interest here in the thread, like i said i want someone to have it that will take care of it and use it and im only selling due to needing the money... Thanks for looking

Ok finally got some pics, I wiped the dust off before i took the pictures and my camera showed each and every wipe mark not seen by the naked eye :D .. It looks clean and not all marked up like the pictures..
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• faster100
    edited May 2005
    any interest what so ever? price a concern? pics..
    all you tubies on here heres your chance to show "interest" :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited May 2005
    Hi Cliff,

What tests does it perform on power tubes (EL34, KT88, 6550, etc) that would allow you to match them? From the picture you posted, it seems it's a "Good/Bad" analog meter reading versus a numerical scaling meter.

Will it do mutal conductance testing on twin triodes?

I'd like to have a tester, but in reality and for my simple gear, the tube either works or it doesn't. In other words, my gear becomes the "Good/Bad" meter.

Mike
  • stereo55
    stereo55 Posts: 418
    edited May 2005
    Nice tester .

Heck of alot nicer (more up to date) unit than the one I have from the 60'-70's genre . Wish I had the extra coin for this .

But heres a *bump* non-the-less for a nice unit . ;)
    SDA-2B's ~ Pair SDA-CRS's ~ ,*** Main listening: Maggies MG1 ~ Polk SDA 2B's ~ Monitor 10's , 3-pairs (2 pairs moded into SDA's w/SDA-2B/CRS cross-overs) , * DCM TF600's * Mission M71/M72 *** Main brdrm FRT: RTiA-5's /Presence RTi-4 / LSI-704 Cntr / Rear FXI3's ~~~ Assorted Main listening rm : , 2- Heathkit W-5M /tube mono blocks (Parasound P/HP-850)* * 2- Altec Lansing 1590b's/mono blocks (Yamaha C-45) * CM Labs 35D * Dynaco ST-70 ~ Occasionally ~* Yamaha CR-820/A-760 ,* Sansui AU-317/AU-217 * Carver 900 rec *2-Dynaco ST 120* 1 Hafler DH-220* Marantz 1040 ... more
  • faster100
    edited May 2005
    Mike,

this does have a good /bad type meter... But it does a life test which increases voltage to the tube and gives a "real life use" type test ... from what i understand... it does mutual conductance, shorts and leaks.... read this here about this .http://www.tone-lizard.com/Sencore.htm

.. its supposed to be sencores top tester back when it was made..

this has like 32 tube sockets for just about all tubes... The book lists settings for each triode for signal tubes... also the manual has a formula for figureing the test results in microhms or what ever it is LOL, like 47000 blah blah... when you see those test scores on tubes on e-bay....

from that website :::

The advertisement above is for their top-of-the-line transconductance tester dubbed the 'Continental'. It is actually the only transconductance tester Sencore manufactured. The Continental has a small mystery that confuses me (which is not a hard thing to do, actually). There is a Continental MU140 and a Continental MU150. There appears to be only very slight case styling alterations between the MU140 and the MU150, but other than that, you can check out the two 'versions' yourself

any other questions just ask, i may have not answered all your questions... that website talks alot about this tester...

This does shorts, gm-emissions, grid leakage,life test and gm test.. dynamic mutual conductance, 30 sockets with 4 empty spots for upgrades also mentioned in the books..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2005
    How much would something like this cost new, nowadays?
  • faster100
    edited May 2005
    ALOT!!! is all i can say... current tube testers are 1000's from what ive read and heard... thats why everone buys vintage i assume..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited May 2005
    Did you get the top hat, tails and walking cane? That might be enough of a deal maker. :D
    mu140_sencore.gif
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2005
    only a $30 discount? man what a dirtbag :p

looks like a 007 brief case to me. engineered by Q i presume?
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2005
    Hey Cliff,
    I'm interested but have a few questions. Did your tech calibrate this unit before selling? Does it test 7199 (you know the ST-70 driver tubes) and 5AR5/GZ34 (ST-70 rectifier tube)? It does EL34 and 6DJ8/6922, right? Is it fool proof? I've never used a tube tester and need to know if a newbie can test for shorts, leaks, etc easily by following the instructions provided with the unit.

Thanks

Maurice
  • organ
    edited May 2005
    Aaaah ****! Was just checking the funds and I'm not sure if it's going to allow. I'll have to get back to you in a few days.

If anybody else wants it before I check back, go ahead and buy.

Maurice
  • faster100
    edited May 2005
    My tech friend didn't calibrate it, he showed me it worked on a couple tubes i brought and it seemed to work.. It does power tubes, el 34's, 7199's , 12ax,au,at7's 6922's, 6dj8's.. put it this way, it has 128 pages of tubes and it does test dual triode tubes.. says checks over 3000 tubes...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited May 2005
    Ok hows this, $125 + shipping fed ex ground... shouldnt be more then 8-12 bucks in the Cont US, canada is extra as fed ex doesnt ship there i dont think... not cheap anyways...Memorial weekend special :)

edit: this has good/ bad on the meter, but also is marked from 0 - 120, o beings a dead tube, 60 being questionable and 100 -120 being new or Nos..

I'm going to post pictures shortly and maybe that will peak some more interest...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited May 2005
    Ok here are some pictures, like i said above.. I wiped it down with a damp sponge to get rid of dust and the super sensitive camera shows every wipe mark... It cant be seen in person.. its clean and looks good considering the age.. Lemme know fella's before it heads to agon or e-bay

Only thing its missing is the metal plate that covers the upgrade socket empty holes... this is a simple fix with a piece of metal or plexi glass or leave as is..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited May 2005
    and
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited May 2005
    and photo copy of original manual, also comes with original tube guide in the tester and an updated one thats loose in pic 2.

$125.00 + ship cont us, canada extra.... let me know today if anyone needs more time to think or need to talk to me further... im even open to the finance deal i offered before, **** i don't care just take it and make good use and let me make some of my money back...

Thanks for looking guys
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited May 2005
    Sorry to but in, but did you mean to say $125 plus shpping? Your last post says $225 plus shipping.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • faster100
    edited May 2005
    your right!! Opps

125 + ship, might get some more interest that way :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • organ
    edited May 2005
    Sorry Faster, I'm gonna have to pass. Too much stuff to pay for this month. Good luck on the sale.

I'm surprised the other tube heads haven't shown interest.

Maurice
  • faster100
    edited May 2005
    No problem maurice, same situation and that's why i'm selling it...
    I'm kinda surprised more people havent shown interest myself.

alot of tube rolling going on lately, If i didnt have a mini tester also this one would be staying here. It's nice to test tubes after you get them off e-bay or find them at the flea market or estate sales to see that they work for resale or just so your not useing your gear for a tester..

anyways, Last call blowing it out $125 shipped final price. tomorrow morning its going to e-bay, Thanks for all the views and the interest from Mike and maurice...

good night :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp