what size amp should i get for my ht

Options
goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
edited August 2001 in Technical/Setup
i have the onkyo 787 and wnat to ad power amps to all my speakers what brand and how much power do you recomend?

front 800i
center 400i
rear 500f/x i (4)
sub ct120
Post edited by goingganzo on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited August 2001
    Options
    whatever size and brand that you want to its your ears your ht and your house.

scott
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Since you want to get an amp for all your speakers, your best bet for the money is a 5-channel amp. At the other end of the spectrum is using monoblocks for all five channels. For a solution somewhere in between you could get a 2-channel amp for the RT800's and a 3-channel amp for the center and surrounds.

If you use your system for mostly surround sound, I'd probably just get a 5-channel amp. If you do a fair amount of stereo listening, I'd probably get a nice 2-channel amp for the RT800's and then 3-channel amp or monoblocks for your other three channels (possibly an amp of lesser quality). I've listened to my RT800's with 425W through them, and they sound pretty good. I'd probably look for an amp with around 200W realistically.

Aaron
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Aaron is correct on some points, but not all. Give him a break, it's tough to think clearly with a pair of girls gym shorts on your head.

He is CORRECTAMUNDO about 200wpc being an entry level type number. Double or triple that number if you can financially swing it. You'll thank me in the long run.

A FIVE CHANNEL AMP? And what are we going to use when one channel goes **** up, and all the other channels have to go back to the shop with it? A two channel amp, and a three channel amp (or 2 two channel amps and one monoblock, or any way you can get to five without having all the amps in the same box) is a more sane approach.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Aaron
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by George Grand
    Aaron is correct on some points, but not all. Give him a break, it's tough to think clearly with a pair of girls gym shorts on your head.
    No see, that's the problem. I don't have any girls' gym shorts anywhere in site!
    He is CORRECTAMUNDO about 200wpc being an entry level type number. Double or triple that number if you can financially swing it. You'll thank me in the long run.
    I don't think I'd go over 400W for the RT800's. They're only rated to 250W, I believe. I've been very careful with sending 425W through my RT55's and RT800's.
    A FIVE CHANNEL AMP? And what are we going to use when one channel goes **** up, and all the other channels have to go back to the shop with it? A two channel amp, and a three channel amp (or 2 two channel amps and one monoblock, or any way you can get to five without having all the amps in the same box) is a more sane approach.
    Most of the recent, high-quality 5-channel amps are completely modular in that you can remove each amplifier seperately so you shouldn't have to send the whole thing to the shop, just that particular channel amplifier. Anyway, I won't argue that 2/3-channel or monoblocks in the way to go, but it isn't the most economical.

Aaron
  • George Grand
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Modular, shmodular. I drove my 200-250wpc rated RTA11t's with 375wpc amps for 3 yrs. no problems. You have to take the bull by the horns. (the amps were rated at 8 ohms, the Polks were 6 ohms, so the numbers get a little higher. REALLY taking EL TORO by the horns).

• goingganzo
    edited August 2001
    Options
    actuley i have 4 rear chanels aka 7.1 and all i use my stero for is home theater i usaly listen to music in my car or on my pc. i am thinking of getting a onkyo 404 for each chanel and bridge them out
  • Crank It Up
    Crank It Up Posts: 6
    edited August 2001
    Options
    ... how about some recommended manufacturers and models of amps in the 200-400 wpc range?

I've looked at a few of the newer receivers out there, but they are far short of the power levels recommended here. Up 'til now, I'd stayed away from separates because I thought the only way to go there would get expensive, but it seems to be the best approach in my case.
  • Aaron
    edited August 2001
    Options
    2-channel amps:
    - Musical Fidelity A300CR (> 200W)
    - Bryston 4B ST (250W)

5-channel amps:
    - Sunfire Cinema Grand (200W)
    - Cinema Grand Signature (405W)
    - Bryston 9B ST (120W)
    - Musical Fidelity HT600 (112W)

Aaron
  • goingganzo
    edited August 2001
    Options
    do you have a web page or price on the 405 wpc 5 channel amp?
  • Aaron
    edited August 2001
    Options
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2001
    Options
    For original post: You want to add power amps for all your speakers to the 787? I'm lost on this one. I have that reciever and its awesome. It already has 6 channels of 100watts (clean power). I have the same and larger Polks and I could come pretty close to blowing them now. Sure buy the Carver sunfires and preamps that will rock for about 5k. If the 787 is just temporary, how much? :rolleyes:
  • Aaron
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I think I'll let George field this question.

Aaron
  • goingganzo
    edited August 2001
    Options
    i figure i will upgrade the amps and get a pre later but i think if i had a bigger room it would help to my room is 10x12
  • George Grand
    edited August 2001
    Options
    There is NO substitute for massive amounts of power. Unless you're into 5wpc triodes and string quartets.