Unexpected tweeter upgrade

Options
candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited April 2005 in Vintage Speakers
A funny thing happened yesterday. After putting my sl2000's back in because I can't seem to adjust to the RD0194-1's, I decided to space my 2b's further apart but didn't have enough speaker wire. Then to save time and mileage I tried to find some longer speaker wire here in the burbs. First disaster was home depot where their $.54 ft. 12 gauge wire made my system sound very disappointing. Radio Shack had very similar stuff. Reluctantly I try the local car stereo shop and their $1.20 ft. 12 gauge seemed closer to what I'm used to using.

I hook it up and what a surprise, the sound of my sl2000's have changed noticeably. As much I liked them before, I have to admit they could be a little loud and overbearing at times. With the new wires, to me they seem right in the middle of how they sounded before the speaker wire change and what I've been hearing from the rd0194's. For my taste, it seems about perfect.

Maybe if I had some professional speaker cables, the rd0194's would sound to my liking. I was just surprised that a speaker wire downgrade if that's what it was could affect my tweeters like this. Pleasantly surprised.
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Options
    HF loss in the lower grade wire would not be all that surprising.

Regardless, I'm glad you're enjoying the 2b's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Hi,
    I would be interested in the silk tweeters if you dont want them. I have a pair of sda-2b and have been wanting to try the silk replacements. LMK Thanks, Jeff
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server