Bozak b302-a

Options
ohskigod
ohskigod Posts: 6,501
edited April 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I left for vacation 04/22/05 with a drive down to the Atlanta area to visit my aunt and uncle. I havent been their in a dosg's age, literally since i was a kid. When i get there and say our hellos, i notice what seems like 2 end tables, but look like speakers. upon closer inspection, i see that they are made by Bozak. (from the paperwork i saw later, they are b302-a in Mediterranean cabinets).
I've certainly heard the name, but never heard the speakers itself.
My uncle used to drive them with a Kenwood integrated which fried years ago, he never listend to them since.
I couldnt stand for this attrocity of letting these gems go unused, so i pilferred my cousins pioneer integrated (nothing special) and Pioneer CD player. Hooked them up and let em sing.
I was quite impressed, seemed all the drivers were working fine. Smooth sound, definitly more laid back than i am used to, but a great sound altogether. Listenned to them for quite a while. I wouldnt replace my 1B's for them, but i would love to own a pair none the less.
Living Room 2 Channel -
Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
Post edited by ohskigod on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Bozak is a great old audio name. Made speakers back in the '50's and was still doing it in the 90's. In the 60's (when your Uncle's model came out) "hiding" speakers by disguising them as furniture was common.

While your Uncle's were modestly priced, Bozak made some very expensive speakers, e.g., their "Concert Grand" series, in the old days... $4k even $5000 a pair. To put it in perspective, back in the 60's for that kind of coin you could drive about any car off a lot that you wanted to...

Glad you came across them and enjoyed...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2005
    Options
    my uncle still has the original paperwork, as well as the price sheets. the ones he had were 333.00 a piece plus tax. even that must have been a nut to pay in 1968 boy! Although, since these things still hold alot of water now, its a testament to their quality. I guess you still got what you paid for.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Bozak rocks. Cool.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Classic OLD school manufacturer....Lou's getting hardcore on us guys :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2005
    Options
    i'm just glad i got something enjoyable to listen to while i am currently 897 miles from my house. at least i'm not going into stereo withdrawal! :p
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I've got a stash of Bozak crossovers, 12" woofs, and 2" tweets....if you need anything, let me know.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2005
    Options
    thanx, i'll keep that in mind. might take them apart and inspect the drivers closely to make sure all looks good up close, if anything looks dicey, i'll certainly be talkin to ya. thanx
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I got my first pair of B-302A Century's in 1988. I walk in this guys house and he's using them as STANDS for a pair of BIC formula 4's. When I commented that they were nice Bozaks he didn't even know what I was talking about. I had to explain to him. Then he tells me that the Bozaks were in the house when he bought it off an exotic dancer called The Blonde Bomber or something like that. I walked out with those that day. That pair was manufactured in April 68.

One of the guys in the squadron has got a real nut for Bozak, so I gave him those, and then found him another pair of B-302's that were in absolutely gorgeous condition. One in each corner of the room for surround sound. I also sold him a pair of E-300's which was basically a B-302 without the midrange. I don't know what he did with those, but another pair that I found for him are in his daughters bedroom.

B-310 tempo's are really nice if you can find a pair. I had some of those for awhile too.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2005
    Options
    "I got my first pair of B-302A Century's in 1988. I walk in this guys house and he's using them as STANDS for a pair of BIC formula 4's"

sounds like a rescue or mission of mercy. Glad they went to a good home :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Eff the Bozaks... tell us more about "the Blonde Bomber"...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD