Packing polk midwoofers for transit......have?????

Options
hotwheelman
hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
edited April 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hey guys,

I am working on getting some 4a's ready to ship to spawndn72 and could use some feedback on shipping the midwoofers, I am planning on shipping them in a seperate box to protect them from the illfated syndrome they sometimes suffer when shipped in the speaker enclosure.

Should I butt them together with something between them and what do you think would be the best way to wrap the magnet structure to absorb the shock of transit? I have bubblewrap and an assortment of hard foam pieces that I can use plus some other packing materials that may work as well.

Any comments will be appreciated as I want them to make it there in one piece.

Thanks,
Mike
"Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
"Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
Post edited by hotwheelman on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2005
    Options
    4a's are fairly light, just double box them.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hotwheelman
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    4a's are fairly light, just double box them.

Thanks for pointing that out, I guess that I am just being a bit over anxious about them making the trip without the dreaded lock issue. I have enough to make the inside pretty darn shock absorbent so I guess I will pack the living sh** out of them and see what happens.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Actually, of all the old Polks I've bought and had shipped to me, the only frozen drivers have been in Mon 4's... Bought 2 pair, and each showed with one frozen MW...

Only thing that makes sense is that they're so light that they get tossed around.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited April 2005
    Options
    better safe than sorry. Just cut out a cardboard cutout of the speaker and use the wire ties or the old school trash bag ties to hold over the cone and box good with bubblewrap and peanuts

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Shorting the terminals with a piece of wire/solder will reduce cone movement.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Nope.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Shorting the terminals wont do a damn thing. Besides, it's not the cone moving that causes the damage, it's the magnet connected to the pole piece that can move, because the epoxy holding it on can deteriorate over time.

If you're worried about it, take them both out, and zip-tie or bolt them face to face and send them separately.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hotwheelman
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

If you're worried about it, take them both out, and zip-tie or bolt them face to face and send them separately.

Cheers,
    Russ

Yeah I think I have decided to just go ahead and do it like that to be on the safe side. After I get that done they are ready to roll.
    Thanks for the comments bros.

Peace out,
    Mike