Mantis

Stocks_sd
Stocks_sd Posts: 28
edited June 2002 in Speakers
Now you've got me thinking now about my rt800i's.

I bought them last November and haven't really been happy with them from day one. I had rt35i's up front before that and the imaging and clarity were amazing. I loved em. But of course I "had to go bigger and better."

Now I'm trying to make some decisions. Tonight I'm buying a pair of rt35i's that I was going to use for rear surrounds along with my 35's for side surrounds. Which, I still might. But now I'm thinking about puting them up front and either buying a pair of rt25i's for the rear or another cs245i to add to the one I already have. That's another thread though. (literally)

:)
Just talking,
Randy
Post edited by Stocks_sd on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited May 2002
    RT35I's RRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEE
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    im with mxstyiepolkman............. rt-35 rulesssssssssss
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited May 2002
    I got
    35's for Mains
    25's for surrounds
    cs245i for center
    works great...although i wish i bought the rt55i for mains, the 35i for front surrounds, and the rt25i for back surrounds...but if i would of done that...the way my shelves are arranged the 55i and the 35 i would be on top of each other...LOL! so, im glad i did what i did!

I have a VERY small room 11 x 11

PS: not to be rude or nething but its mXsTyLePoLkMaN lol....
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    stocks-sd,
    ever consider the rt55i's as mains??they are impressive.Thert35i's I don't think have the detail the rt55i's do.The rt35i's are very nice I own them and love them.But the rt55i's have a cunning that the rt35i's do not.

Have you considered Dipolar speakers for rears???
    But using the rt35i's all the way around except for the center wouls sound right.No tonal change.I bet that would make a really good SACD/DVD AUDIO system **** well.

Post back what you do.
    So your not happy with the rt800's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Stocks_sd
    Stocks_sd Posts: 28
    edited May 2002
    I thought about getting rt55i's for mains but was kind of worried that they might sound similar to the rt800i's with the dual 6 1/2 inch drivers.

Also, I am thinking of DVD AUDIO next and thought that I would be better off with the rt35i's for the front as well as rear. I haven't really read up on dvd-a though. Is the format 5 channel or 6? Would I need 35i's for rear surround as well?

Randy
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    Yes,
    keep it all the same and you will get great sound all around.This is the way to go.
    Dan
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2002
    Stocks-sd,

Why do you think the RT35i's are superior to the RT800i's?

I have the RT800i's and I think they are absolutely fabulous.

I've heard the RT35i's... they sound alright... but, they aren't nearly in the same class as the RT800i's. Personally, I think the RT800i is one of Polk's finest sounding speakers. It is just like the RT55i except with more bass and no need for sanus stands.
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited May 2002
    Mantis Dont you also own the RT1000's ?

In the RT line what is you order of Preference?

I like the RT55i the best. my order is 55,35,800,600. These are the only ones I have had in my home to test. Never tried the powered towers. Now if they had a passive tower.....I give it a audition.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    yeah, he's got 'em biwired too.

I personally, like the RT35i. While I haven't done extensive testing, I find them to have a little better detail then the RT55i.

My fave though is the RT7

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited May 2002
    I just picked up a pair of open box rt35i's from Crutchfield - be here tomorrow. I am going to stack them on top of my rt1000's in which I have mated with rt25i's right now. Kick A$$ looking stack!!!! And sounds killer!!! :D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    i dident get the 1000 caues what type of bass can you get out of a 6 1/2 driver i have a sub and if i want bass in my mains i would add a sub next to them i just dident see the performance in the 1000 much more than the 800
  • mantis
    edited May 2002
    thanks TroyD,
    for answering for me,what a guy.

Weavercr,
    As TroyD told you,I own the rt1000p's.I bought them slightly after they came out( I was in the run to buy the rt16's but they were all gone,I couldn't find them nowhere.).
    In the rt line i will give you my order of preference.
    1)rt3000p's
    2)rt2000i's
    3)rt1000i's
    4)rt55i's
    5)rt35i's
    No center or rears in my list.Just stereo playback.I don't include the rt800's as I personally don't care for this speaker.I have posted many times why but for your benifit I will post once more.
    I just feel they are a sloppy speaker.Boomy in the lows and bright on the top.Mid range is also muddy.(Please no rt800 commity,I'm not going to get into it again).I feel the rt55i's do a better job, tighter bass more controlled mid's and high's,overall one of my most favorite speakers.I'm real tired of the powered towers.They are a **** to get sounding good.The mids and high's are nice and tight, but the sub is a pain in my ****.It took me awhile to figure out the best way to place them and wire them(go ahead TroyD, fire away).Line level to the sub worked well with the Yamaha I once owned(rxc992)but when I upgraded to the Pioneer Elite vsx26tx, then later the Denon avr3801,This didn't sound right anymore, the line level out of the Denon was low and didn't seem to keep up with the speaker level, thats why I choose to bi wire a powered tower, I know it doesn't make sence to some who haven't experienced it first hand, but It made a big improvement In my current setup.(If you must know I used Straightwire Chorus series to run line level to the sub's)

By the way, the rt600 and rt800's are passive towers,I'm not sure exactly what you ment my that.
    Dan
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited June 2002
    Like a 10 or 12 inch passive radiator installed. I have found that polks towers 800,600 to be boomy. I fell that a sealed box with passive radiator will fix this boomy characteristic and lower the base extension a little.

What I would like to see is a tower from them with perhaps a 10 pr 12 inch woofer. A full range speaker that is not powered. That's what I meant by passive.
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    Polk is comming out with a replacement for the rt200i's, they are from what I heard will be passive,This seems like the right Direction for Polk.
    I might like the Powered towers better then the passive of current modles but I'm not a fan of the sub.I'm waiting for this model to hit the stores so I can get my demo on!!
    Dan