AMR 150's

Options
photofabe
photofabe Posts: 1
edited August 2001 in Technical/Setup
Any reviews from owners of the AMR 150's?
What do you like or dislike about them?
Also,why 4.1 channel and not 5.1 for PC speakers?Does 5.1 not work?
thanks in advance for the responses.
fabe c.
Post edited by photofabe on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I'll bet it's 4.1 because you sit in the near-field, and the center channel when blended into the left and right fronts, can't help but appear to come from the screen. Saves you a few bucks on center channel costs. But you shouldn't sit so close cause you'll go blind. Or am I mixing that up with something else that you can do that makes you blind? Anyhow that's my guess, and if it's a bad one I'll take door # 3 instead.

Don't know anything about AMR 150's.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2001
    Options
    That's an interesting thought, George. The reason that Polk went with a 4.1 setup is because that's what most of the PC surround sound is (thanks largely to the Sound Blaster Live sound cards). The 4.1 setup seems to be the choice of games (for now), likely do to the EAX effects of the Sound Blaster Live. Technically it's just 4.0, not 4.1 (there is no subwoofer channel). They (Polk, Klipsch, etc.) just call them 4.1 systems, because they give you a subwoofer with the satellites, and it makes it sound like DD 5.1. At any rate, I wonder if Sound Blaster chose a 4-channel surround setup for the reason that George cited?

Aaron