got some SDA-1b

ohskigod
ohskigod Posts: 6,500
edited April 2005 in Vintage Speakers
finally moved up from the 2b to the 1b. I loved the 2b's but they seemed to struggle just a bit at higher volume in my large basement.

Got these from jdhdiggs, great transaction.

the sound is definitly fuller and richer than the 2b's. I think its more noticible to me because of my listening area issues. The 1b's deliver the great soundstage you would expect, but with more of a sence of effortlessness than the 2b's. I do notice an improved bass responce as well. It sounds smoother overall than the 2b. I wonder if the difference would be that apparent in a smaller/better listening environment?

While my 2b's have the replacement tweet, the 1b's as of yet do not. on the 1b, the sl2000'sbrightness problem is there on some music, but not as apparent as with the the 2b's when they had the sl2000 (pre replacement)

I going to hold off orderring another replacement tweet set until i can hear these as is with the radii tube pre i bought from RuSsMaN.

overall, i'm happy as a clam. Looking forward to hearing how these sound with the tube pre as well, since i have 0 experience with tubes whatsoever.
Living Room 2 Channel -
Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
Post edited by ohskigod on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited April 2005
    Congrats on your "new" speakers! Where's James headed -- to Maggieville?
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2005
    oh yeah,

he's pretty much entrenched in Maggieville.

I was lucky enough to get a listen. Never heard a full planar speaker before. accurate, and clean as crystal. tall too, i think they were a little taller than me (i'm 6' tall).

James also gave me my first Lsi demo with the Lsi7's
    a sweet (and heavy!) little bookshelf it is.

I can see myself branching in that direction if i ever get my fill of SDA.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by ohskigod
    I can see myself branching in that direction if i ever get my fill of SDA.
    Do both if you have the space!

I've had a pair of MG-Is 35 years and haven't yet had a chance to listen to the (I'm sure many) improvements made to the Magnepan line over the years. I rewired the tweeters on both sides last year and they sound good as new. I have another mint (cosmetically) pair that I'm rewiring the planar boards on. Bought them from a fool who purchased them new and put them in a non-climate controlled storage facility for years. The aluminum magnet wire (especially the tweeter sections) don't take excessive heat and moisture well at all.

Enjoy!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2005
    Lou, I rearranged the room and the Mags sound SUBSTANTIALLY better. Think everything rotated 90 degrees clockwise. Much better bass control and imaging. Also, now the SVS is running 40Hz and down for them which opened them up even more.

Measured them last night, 74" tall by 24" wide with the stands.

As for the 1B's, I was planning on replacing the tweeters until I added that tube CDP and that took out the sharpness. Good idea waiting on the tube pre. Also look at buying the Radii amp. At 8W/ channel, it's not a lot of power but you were only using 1 W peaks in that small room at my place so it may work as another "cool" toy. And its small so you can hide it from the wife.

I'll get back into SDA's when the time is right. Right now though, I got bigger fish to fry.

Mike: Come about mid June, I'll have 4 pairs of different maggies to play with so if you ever want to try some of the newer ones, come on up...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited April 2005
    I'd enjoy that very much, James! I can even bring along an ancient set to compare side-by-side. Just say the word.

Mike
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited April 2005
    Oh, BTW Lou -- do you read the results of the Karma threads? ;)
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2005
    Checked the Karma thread....ooooooops....PM sent (Doh!)

James, I'm glad to hear that. I figured those maggies were a little too far apart. Moving everything in your livingroom must have been a blast :D (but worth it).
    now that their closer together, do you still have them toed in a little, or straight firing now?

Funny that Blue said to do both if i have the space. i have space, and was considerring that if i sell my 2b's and another speaker set, i should be just close to even for a pair of those MMG's i hear good things about. (still 550.00 shipped to your door?)
    might have to make that idea a reality soon.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2005
    Tried toed in and flat. Toed in works better.. If you do go with the MMG's, unless you have the same room shape I had when you visited, put them outside the SDA's.

The too far apart was a function of the room and not ideal placement per the manual.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin