Replacement tweets...are they sweet?

Options
BobMcG
BobMcG Posts: 1,585
edited April 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I don't know. I just felt like rhyming. The 2.3's 2000s are out and new ones are in but no time to listen yet. Perhaps tonight not sure.
This morning I'm off to another officers meeting at Fort Ticonderoga. Last weekend we planned the Grand Encampment of the French & Indian War held in the end of June and today we will be planing the Revolutionary War Encampment held in mid September. If you vacation in the Lake George area and apperciate history check out one of the many local reenactment events.
Post edited by BobMcG on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited April 2005
    Options
    That's a beautiful part of the American landscape! I flew in to Albany many, many years ago and took a rental car north to Lake George for a business meeting. Being a native of the midwest, and fairly provincial at the time, I had no idea there was anything like that left on the east cost. During a one day break in my meeting schedule, I drove on up to Ticonderoga mentally reliving my American history studies. It's a trip I hope to take again some day with my wife and children.

Oh, and enjoy your new sweet tweets!
  • BobMcG
    edited April 2005
    Options
    BMDP, Glad you liked the area and I hope you get to come back and visit with your family. If you did and had the time my door is open to you.

The Adirondack Park in which I live is 6.5 million acres of natural beauty. History is everywhere. About 50 mins to north of me is the Crown Point State Park (yup, a park inside the park) where two 18th century forts once stood and where battle reenactments are held. Only 30 mins north you can be in Ticonderoga where you can visit Ft. Carillon (French) or Ticonderoga (British), Mt. Defiance, and Mt. Hope. All 18th century military strongholds, with Mt. Independence right across the lake (Champlain) from Ft-Ti. Battles are held at Ft-Ti and Mt-I. Just 15 mins south is Fort William Henry (Last of the Mohicans), Fort George, Lake George Battlefield, and Bloody Pond. Sites of massive 18th century warfare action too. Carlton's Raid and the 250th anniversary of the Battle of Lake George will be held there this year. Another 20 mins southeast from there is Roger's Island in Fort Edward (also Last of the Mohicans) where there are spring and fall events held each year. These are just the local sites I frequent. My group will be all over NY state and other nearby states this year. Busy but fun.

BTW: Dr Snow is only about 25 miles south of me. Making snow right at West Mtn? Or Gore Mtn?

Turned on the stereo that has the 2.3s on it to get it warmed up for later...
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I've replaced the SL2000s in a pair of SDA CRS+, as well as in a pair of monitor 10s. The benefits aren't what I would term subtle. However, the RD 0194-1s, themselves, ARE in fact subtle, delicate even, certainly by comparison. Enjoy.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • BobMcG
    edited April 2005
    Options
    First impressions are: Replacements are a bit smoother sounding. Pianos sound more natural. Female vocals are "less in your face". Highs are a bit clearer. Not bad.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited April 2005
    Options
    same results i had with swapping the tweeter in my SDA 2B. great overall improvement, while i respect different opinions on what sounds good, i still cant see how their are any SL2000 holdouts.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • BobMcG
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The more I listen the more I like the new tweets. Even, flat response , not even a hint of edginess. Makes all vocals clearer. Not exclusive to but really impressed with increased piano note clarity. All this aside though, I still don't know if I like them that much so I guess I'll have to do more listening... ;)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Bob - I'm happy that you're enjoying them, they get a little bit better as time goes by, but it may simply be just placebo effect. I don't care, as I like them 100%.

I think it's a great re-interpretation of that tweeter series and worth the effort for experimentation.

Party on!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BobMcG
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Yup, I thank you guys for doing the homework and testing on and endorsing of these. It may be my ears breaking in or the tweets breaking in or a combination of the two, but the longer I listen the more enjoyable I find them. Hummm, I think I'll get a pair for the CRS+s on my upstairs stereo too.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited April 2005
    Options
    What is the cost to polk members for the tweeter upgrade? I would need 4 of them.

Trying to decide if it is worth resurrecting a rough pair of SDA 1b's (moving my 7's to the rear) or just purchase a set of LSi 15's.

I brought up my 1b's after not listening to them for years and was dissapointed to find that while the imaging was everything I remember, the sound was just not as good as my LSi7's with the SVS. The level of detail was just not there.

I think everything was working correctly, now I have to decide if I should upgrade the 1b's (crossover caps and tweeters) or just purchase a new speaker and sell off my SDA's to someone who wants to play with a pair. (Due to rough condition would not get much to put twords an upgrade.)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Dibs!!! If you want to get rid of the SDA's that is. I'm SDA less :(
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I do not like RD0194-1's, Sam I am :) As much as I hate to say it, I do not like them probably because I am not a true audiophile. I prefer in your ear, blowout my eardrums highs. I couldn't wait to put the sl2000's back in and hear that magical sound I've become use to from my sda 2b's.

IMO the new tweeters made my sda's sound like all the other off the shelf speakers that are now on the market which may have more precise highs because of technological improvements or maybe the new generation of tweeters are just cheaper to produce. But then I used to buy the $19.99 liquid cooled tweeters from radio shack so I think it's just a matter of preference, i.e. I'm not bashing the RD0194-1's.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Did you let them burn in for at least 50 hours before changing back?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2005
    Options
    No. Is the sound going to change alot?
  • F1nut
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I'm not sure they will change to your liking, but yes they will change.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ardvark1
    ardvark1 Posts: 30
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I installed the replacement tweeters (replaced SL1000's) and they sounded smoother, with a more natural sound, but they did indeed sound flat by comparison. I had to keep smacking my hand when it would creep toward the treble dial.
    I stuck it out, kept away from the treble dial and after about 50 hours or so I ended up with a great set of tweeters.
    They kept improving overall during the break in period.
    A superior product; smooth natural, NO edginess, and that flat sound has vanished.

IMO to truly experience your SDA speakers at their full potential is to upgrade the cross overs. My speakers are 1983 1st gen SDA-2's. With Darqueknight's SRS upgrade post and compendium, and Bluemdpicker's moral support, I was able to perform these upgrades myself. I can't thank these guys enough for their input.

The end result has to be heard to be believed, a huge increase in bass response, definition, and improved soundstage.
    I am going through all of my cd's and hearing notes/effects for the first time.

Sorry to go off topic, stick with the new tweeters if you can, give them a chance, you will be glad you did.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ardvark1
    IMO to truly experience your SDA speakers at their full potential is to upgrade the cross overs.
    Hi Bill!

How about posting your crossover upgrade pics and a narrative? The SDAs with quality Xover components are a classic example of "those who don't know don't know they don't know."

Mike
  • ardvark1
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Working on it, will post tonight. Been busy as hell, how have you been?

Bill
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I don't think that's exactly true, but it is certainly an opinion, and you're enjoying the benefits.....that's all that matters.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ardvark1
    Working on it, will post tonight. Been busy as hell, how have you been?
    Busy is a good thing. Hope things are going well with the business! I'm staying busy melting solder.

I also hope you got some good pics of your finished handywork. You did a fantastic job with parts layout on those tiny PC boards as well as enlarging the tweeter mounts in the cabinets. It's great to hear the replacement tweeters (aka Mission Impossible to some) are sounding so good with your vintage SDAs.
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Ardvark - I completely forgot about about your tweeter issue, until the aformentioned post, excellent indeed...forgive the tone.

I remember you responding to me via email about the tweeters, but never heard anything back...? I presume that you figured it out, so rock on....you are an SDA pimp 100%, no going back now.
  • ardvark1
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks Doro!
    It was a labor of love.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Bob,
    It would be very interesting if sometime in the future you re-loaded your old tweets. I find that when I upgrade something I hear only a little difference but then when I go back to the old stuff it is night and day. Pretty weird I guess. Hope you keep enjoying the new ones!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing and it is kinda weird how that works. Once I tried putting the old tweeters back in and couldn't make it through one song......ugh.

President of Club Polk

• BobMcG
    edited April 2005
    Options
    That would be an interesting test at that. I do know the more hours I put on the new ones the more I enjoy them.

Hummm.... I do have to wonder though about the old ones if they were to sit idle for a prolonged period of time, say six months at least just for the sake of the disscusion. If they were to go without the flow of current through them over a long period of time would I be at least partially re-burning/breaking them back in again for a time after the initial re-installment???
  • F1nut
    edited April 2005
    Options
    That's a good point Bob and I believe it to be true, of course that invalidates my little test......oh well, too late now as I sold them all.

President of Club Polk