ls90 and cs350 review

Options
ohskigod
ohskigod Posts: 6,501
edited April 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I got a chance to put the LS90 and CS350 i bought from Crivera through some paces. I used to have RTA 12B's as mains and a pair of Monitor 5's as the center.
First off, after i hooked up the "new" speaks, i noticed it definitly looked better (the cabinets on my older speakers were beat up and showed their age). this actually made the wife a little happy. Also, the CS 350, as big as it is, is significantly smaller than a pair of monitor 5's, again, a plus in the wifey column.
As for sound, I worked in some multichannel music first with DVD audio. Definitly sounded different than my old soundstage. little bit More midrangey. definitly something i could get used to, since the music leaps out a little more, kinda in you face. overall, not as much an improvement, just different. Still good though!
Now for Movies, things got interesting. It seems having a perfectly timbre matched front soundstage is much more important than i thought. I though the Peerless tweet of the RTA's and the SL2000's of the monitors were "close enough" but the performance of the LS90 and CS 350 amazed me for movie viewing. Seemless, crystal clear, big @ss soundstage, these were the speakers i rememberred listening to at Crivera's house. I became much more happy with my purchase. Pick a volume, any volume, and the LS and CS barely break a sweat. My amps barely get warm, much less hot when driven hard. The movie experience as a whole increased dramatically with the "new" speaks.
I havent even played with placement and what not yet. Played with the crossover settings a little, but kept them the same as what i had my old setup at 60hx for center and main, 80 hz for surrounds.

Thanx again Carlos for a sweet transaction, I am very happy with my purchase. and you definitly are going to miss these speakers :D
Living Room 2 Channel -
Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
Post edited by ohskigod on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2005
    Options
    What are you using for power? That's a cool speaker, have fun with it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ohskigod
    edited February 2005
    Options
    2 bridged Rotel RB 960's )one for each LS90 and one bridged amp section of a Rotel RB976 going to the center (so about 150 watts to each) could allways use more but i figure that'll do for now, at least until the budget heals :rolleyes:
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • greg099
    greg099 Posts: 19
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Do you think that the CS-350 Center would be a good timbre match for a pair of Monitor 10B fronts?
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Glad you're enjoying the new rig. I've got the same setup, but I switched out the 350 for the 400. The 400 goes a little lower so it won front and center in the HT. At the last Texas shootout I hooked the 90's up to a Sunfire amp and it rocked with no problems. I've only run into distortion one time on the 90's and that was on a Chemical Brothers woofer destroying track that I've yet to hear a speaker handle well.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Lou - You will shite yourself when you get some big power on those....they really open up quite nicely.

I almost picked up a pair of B&W's that would timbre match perfectly with your DM1400's...but the guy must have started smoking crack before I came over.

I came, I saw, I went....anyone know how to put that in Latin?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2005
    Options
    i've had the ls90 and cs350 combo for close to 2 months now, and they are still soundin good. great for the movies, which is what the theater does mostly, but it performs well with the DVD audio as well, concerts and whatnot. I'll be keeping this for a while. more power might be in the cards down the road, but the theater is performing so well, i have no urge for upgrades at the moment.

I know they can handle power. My wife inadvertently left the volume on 0 db (looooong story), so here i come putting in a DVD (Peter Gabriel to be precise). pressed play, put the music on, and the volume was insane. scared the friggin bejesus out of me. way louder than i would ever listen, but the 90's and 350 didnt break up a bit. no distortion. (it did blow the adire audio decorative dustcap of my Shiva though) WOW was i mad at the wifey!!!!!! but all is well.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I came, I saw, I went....anyone know how to put that in Latin?
    Sure.....Vini Vidi See Ya
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by wallstreet
    Glad you're enjoying the new rig. I've got the same setup, but I switched out the 350 for the 400. The 400 goes a little lower so it won front and center in the HT.

i figured the 350 would be better to to exact timbre matching. does the 400i sound a little off. its not a timbre match if i'm not mistaken. did you notice the difference when you switched?
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• criverajr
    criverajr Posts: 1,675
    edited April 2005
    Options
    OHSKIGOD,

ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!!!!

CRJ:D
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ohskigod
    i figured the 350 would be better to to exact timbre matching. does the 400i sound a little off. its not a timbre match if i'm not mistaken. did you notice the difference when you switched?
    I believe both centers use the same tweeter... SL6001... at any rate they both use tri-lams (as does the CS400), so timbre-wise there shouldn't be much diiferent.

I ran a 350 up front until I landed my first 400. Like the look of the 350 better, but the 400 sounded "fuller" to me and it pushed the 350 to the rear...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • wallstreet
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ohskigod

They match surprisingly well. The tweeters are the same but the remaining drivers are slightly different. But the 350 drivers are smaller than the 90's, so there was a slight difference already there. The big plus for me was the voices were fuller sounding with the extended bass in the 400. When comparing with white noise, the match is spot on. The 350 is a much better looking speaker though. The 400 is just a big ugly box. The wife complained severely about it, but after awhile, she sounded just like Charlie Brown's teacher. Come to think of it, I haven't run the 350 with the B&K 307 receiver. Might be time for another comparison. Just for fun, I'll even throw in the CSi3. I also need to double check whether I have the 400 or 400i.
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I also need to double check whether I have the 400 or 400i.

please do. I'm kind of curious. i was under the impression that the 400 and 400i had different tweeters from the 350, where the LS90 has the same tweet as the 350.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I think what you're talking about is the "shiny" tri-lam, in the older speakers (LS90, CS350LS) versus the "dull-looking" tri-lam in the later speakers (CS400, 400i, RTxxi). I can't comment on whether or not they sound much different.
  • wallstreet
    edited April 2005
    Options
    As it turns out, I have the 400i center in my main HT. Here's a shot of the tweeter.
  • wallstreet
    edited April 2005
    Options
    And the 400i tweeter is definitely different than the CS350 tweeter.
  • wallstreet
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The 350 is a mighty fine center that blends seamlessly with the 90's. It was Polk's best center at the time the 90's were available. The 400i certainly will dig a little deeper than the 350 while still providing a seamless soundstage (IMO). A true audiophile, which I am not, may fall off the couch at my opinion of timbre matching. But the bottom line is it works for me. When I get some free time in the HT, I'll run my centers through a workout again to see if I can change my mind.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Walter,
    May just be the PQ, but I'm not seeing the telltale blue MW's the 400i had...

Tweeters seem to dominate the whole tone matching thing. I believe the 400 and 400i's tweetes are the same.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • wallstreet
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Look on the right driver. The blue's there. It just washed out in the left driver.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The 400 driver is not the same as the 400i driver, I believe it was slightly rebuilt.

The 350 uses a different driver as well...

The CS400 and CS400i are completely different, diff. xovers, drivers, and cabs
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Look on the right driver. The blue's there. It just washed out in the left driver.
    Yup, too lazy to scroll over... (large photo posting ****...)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• wallstreet
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Yup, too lazy to scroll over... (large photo posting ****...)

Geesh. And to think I already cropped 60% of the photo before posting. What do you want, a Sid pic?
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Why would I want a picture of Sid? :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited April 2005
    Options
    A 'Sid Pic' is cropped 50% before posting :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.