Center Speaker Match for Monitor 10B?

Options
greg099
greg099 Posts: 19
edited April 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I'm trying to find an older center speaker that matches my Monitor 10Bs. The Polk FAQ lists the CS5i as a match, but I'm hoping to find an older model that I can buy used.

I originally asked this in the speaker forum, but it is probably better suited to the vintage area.

TIA,

Greg
Post edited by greg099 on

Comments

• greg099
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Will a CS-350 work?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Polk can only recommend the best match in their current line... thus the CS5i...

If you have the 10B's with the SL2000 tweeter.... yes, the CS350-LS will work and another candidate would be as would a CS400.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • greg099
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the info. How do I find out which tweeter I have on the 10Bs? I bought them in 1988 at an Army PX in Korea.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Pop it... post a pic... or just describe it.

Is its dome black or silvery?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • greg099
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The tweeter dome is silvery and the serial number on back is 10-160019 if that helps.

So what is the BEST match? Sounds like the CS400i is the best rated center, but is it the best timbre match with my 10Bs, or does it really matter?

Also, I've seen 245 and 245i, which I read means blue versus black, but again, which is closer in timbre to the Monitor 10B?

Thanks again for lending your expertise here.

Greg
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how close are the 10's going to be to your TV? Polk CS sells bucking magnets to (sort of) make them video shielded. They are $5.60 each for the 6.5" driver (Club Polk price) and $4.80 for the tweeter (Club Polk price).

Cheers
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • greg099
    edited April 2005
    Options
    They have been sitting about 18 inches on either side, and I haven't noticed any problems. I'll take a closer look when I get home now, of course!

Thanks,

Greg
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Should be safe at 18"...

You've got the SL2000 tweeter... Latter 10B's used 'em.

CS350LS or CS400... Also the CS400i should work. All used tri-lams.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli