Grado Headphones

Wesmo
Wesmo Posts: 74
edited May 2002 in Speakers
Does anyone know where I can get a pair of grado headphones. I've heard great things about them and would love to own a pair for late night listening when my 600i's are just too loud, but I'm not sure where the best place to buy them is. I'd rather get them from a store, but I'd order them online if that's the only choice. thanks
wes
Post edited by Wesmo on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    Also check out Sennheiser. Grado and Sennheiser seem to be the two top phones. Some would also include Stax. If you have a Tweeter store near by you can check out the Sennheisers. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-580's (out of production now), and they kick serious butt.

Aaron
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    i got beyerdynamic dt 990 and they are sweet headphones, had them for over 10 yrs. now and they still work perfect
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited May 2002
    something not often discussed is comfort

the grado's are notorious for not being able to last on the head for very long

definitely go with some Sennheiser HD-600's -- you can often find them new for less than $300 at www.jrmusicworld.com

j&r carries all the sennheiser phones and as a matter of fact, still sell the HD-580 for less than $200.

if you don't want to go over $100, then by all means get the grado's -- I would get them here:

http://www.hifi.com
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2002
    I got some Senn' HD570s for X-mas. They're pretty sweet. I wish I would've gotten the 600s, but Santa didn't think I was that good. You can get these at any BestBuy for around $125.

At this price you can also get AKG K240s. Real nice and comfortable. Check out most studio pictures. AKG. I think Sears carries them.

You can also try for a used pair of STAX. This would be my first choice. Of courrse it doesn't mean I'm right. One thing about the STAX is that they need to be hooked up to an amp. There goes portability.

I have heard many good things about Grado, but haven't heard them or know which to suggest.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • CrazyHead
    CrazyHead Posts: 63
    edited May 2002
    I can't believe this...

Sennheisers compared to Grado? There is no comparison! Grado's destroy the Sennheisers in all possible comparisons! It is NO contest!

Before I owned a pair of Grado's, I bought into the Sennheiser myth myself. Fortuntely, I was enlightened. Grado makes the best cans on earth.