Catfish tries to eat Basketball

Options
avelanchefan
avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
edited March 25 in Clubhouse Archives
This was a pretty interesting story from The Sunday Wichita Eagle Newspaper a couple of weeks ago.

A resident in the area saw a ball bouncing around strangely in a nearby pond and went to investigate.

It turned out to be a flathead catfish who had obviously tried to swallow a child's basketball which became stuck in its mouth!!

The fish was totally exhausted from trying to dive, but unable to because the ball would always bring him back up to the surface.

The resident tried numerous timesto get the ball out, but was unsuccessful.

He finally had his wife cut the ball in order to deflate it and release the hungry catfish.

You wouldn't believe it if you didn't see the attached photos...
Sean
XboxLive--->avelanchefan
PSN---->Floppa
http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• avelanchefan
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Pic 2
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • avelanchefan
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Pic 3
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • avelanchefan
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Pic 4
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • avelanchefan
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Last Pic
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I would have jumped on the back of that thing and rode it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I remember those pics from last year. pretty cool!

Pass the tartar sauce!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Origins: Yes, these photographs are real, taken at Sandalwood Lake in Kansas on 28 May 2004. An account of the circumstances under which the pictures were taken appeared in the Wichita Eagle on 30 May 2004:
    From Panama to the Great Lakes, Bill Driver's done pretty well fishing over the past 50 years.

Now he's wondering if he'd have done even better with a different kind of bait. "I never considered using a kid's basketball," Driver said. "Maybe I should have."

Friday afternoon, Driver was standing on the deck of his house near 119th Street West and Central when he saw an eight-inch ball floating in Sandalwood Lake.

Noticing the ball wasn't floating normally, Driver wandered to his dock for a closer look. A catfish had its mouth stuck around the ball.

Driver hollered for his wife, Pam, to get a camera while he unrigged the sail from his nine-foot boat, wading into the lake and corralling the fish toward shore with the sail as a seine.

Several times, the flathead tried to dive, only to have the ball buoy it back to the surface.

The fish appeared to be exhausted and offered little resistance once in the shallows.

Things may have gone easier had the fish the strength to struggle.

"I just couldn't pull that ball out of its mouth," Driver said. "I was lifting up out of the water as best I could by the ball. I finally sent my wife to the house to get a knife."

Driver carefully deflated the ball. Estimated at 50 pounds, the fish swam toward the deepest part of the lake.

Driver has no plans of targeting the fish in the near future.

Instead, he'll probably continue to fish for the bass and panfish that swim within the one-acre lake.

"I guess I might try fishing with a golf ball," Driver said. "Smaller fish, smaller bait."
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The movie "Big Fish" comes to mind.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Bring out the gimp.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2005
    Options
    beer battered catfishy anyone? knock that thing over the head and fry em up.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited April 2005
    Options
    That is just funny...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    beer battered catfishy anyone? knock that thing over the head and fry em up.
    god no. Flathead Catfish (or Mudcat as some call it) is some of the nastiest fish you could ever eat. Catfish in general is kinda nasty IMO but when you have a fish that has been sitting and wallowing in the bottom of a river/lake for 10+ years, eating and breathing mud... the meat tends to get rather nasty. I'll pass.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited April 2005
    Options
    My parents have catfish that size- someone was draining a lake near them, they saw the fish flopping around in the mud, got a trashcan full of water & moved them to their pond...

I **** you not- they feed 'em daily & the catfish will come to the bank when they bang on the can of fish food- apparently catfish will keep on growing as long as there's food available and these are about as big around as your leg.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Toxis
    edited April 2005
    Options
    that's awesome!

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Polkapops
    Polkapops Posts: 267
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Must be we get the farm raised cats up here - Like DB said, batter 'em and fry 'em up - pretty good eatin' up in this neck-o-the-woods.......
    HT & Music System:
    Receiver - Denon AVR-3805
    DVD/SACD Player - Denon DVD-2900
    Outlaw 770 amp
    Polk LSi 15's up front
    Polk LSiC center
    Polk LSi F/X surrounds
    SVS 16-46 PC+ Subwoofer
    Sony Wega KDF-50WE655
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I remember seeing something on TV when I was little about volkswagon size catfish that lived at the base of damns. They would eat everything that came along. It was on "That's incredible" or some show like that.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • Toxis
    edited April 2005
    Options
    yeah when there's damns that are 100's of feet deep, you'll find STRANGE things down there. A buddy had a picture of a fish that was unnamed that he caught like that. I swear it looked like it was 1000 years old.

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I think I touched myself to Cathy Lee Crosby at some point in my life....oh hell that was probably last week.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Wow, that's amazing. I didn't know Catfish got that big. I do like 'em salt & peppered. :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Polk-a-pops
    Must be we get the farm raised cats up here - Like DB said, batter 'em and fry 'em up - pretty good eatin' up in this neck-o-the-woods.......
    ...with a side of possum-slaw... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD