HELP! on SDA interconnect

Options
DR. SNOW
DR. SNOW Posts: 26
edited April 2005 in Vintage Speakers
SDA Lovers I need your help??

I bought a pair of SDA-CRS+ a month or so back as some of you are aware. I was fooling around today and found that I only get continuity on the pin to pin of the interconnect. I tested with to different meters and am sure of this. There is no continuity what so ever blade to blade. Thinking I had a bad cable I carfully cut back the sheathing that covers the 2 wire inside. I tested continuity directly to both the wires and to the blades at both ends, nothing still. I then tested continuity to the pin and both the black and white wire. BINGO, ther is continuity to the pin on both the black and white wire. Can this be right??? I am baffled as I have done a search on these interconnects hear and everyon says continuity pinto pin and blade to blade. Did polk only need one wire between both speakers??? Or is my cable miswired. Maybe I am miswired??? NO, I am sure I am miswired. Anxiously awaiting your responses.
Post edited by DR. SNOW on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The pins are the only audio connection. The blade is put there to stabilize the pin and keep if from falling out. It should have been a collar type design like an RCA to keep the confusion down.

Sorry you cut your cable open.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • DR. SNOW
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the reply I was doing some more seaching and found somewhat of an explanation. Fortunatley my cable is not damaged. Some ( a ver sall section) of the sheathing is pulled back, but the cable itself is not cut in half or anything to that extent.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I am baffled as I have done a search on these interconnects hear and everyon says continuity pinto pin and blade to blade."

That is wrong, only the pin/pin has continuity.

Dude, why were you fu*king around with something that wasn't broke in the first place? Leave the damn cable alone!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    He's a New Yorker.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • DR. SNOW
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Not **** aorund here. The imaging of the speakers is very good but not as good as I remember. So am just checking things out. I have done every test possible including DCR test from polk. I am offended by the New York comment this is a typical stereotype I am further away from a major city than you guys. WE are laid back country folk up here. Them city types is more than 3 hours away. I am in the real upstate. In the beautiful foothills of the Adirondacks. No damage was done to the cable, I am a technician on fully automated snowmaking systems so I guess it is also in my nature to invetigate everything. But I really do appreciate the forum and all of the information available here. I did also find Ken from polks explanation of the cable design, only after I posted this so I am sorry if I was to anxious in doing what I did.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The imaging issue you seem to be having can be affected by a number of things. Placement and room acoustics being one, source another and power. So, in order to help, please provide all that info and we'll take it from there.

Don't be offended by Doro's comment, it's just his sarcastic wit. :)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DR. SNOW
    edited April 2005
    Options
    No offense taken really, I just gotta give it back ;) The room is very live and thet could be part of the problem. It is 15 by 18 feet with 8 foot high ceilings and hardwood floors. The speakers ar on 25 inch stands and are 5 feet apart. I have experimented with them anywhere from 5 -10" from the wall. The receiver I have is a Denon DRA 325 rated 40 watts per channel. It is now nearly 17 years old. I plan to replace this soon with a Denon 3805. The big 30 is coming and I have told my wife that is all I want. Any suggestions are appreciated
  • F1nut
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Ok, now we're talking. I have found 6' apart to be the minimum to get the imaging working properly and try to have a minimum of 3' from any side wall. Your distance from the back wall is in the right range, 5" to 10". I have a "live" room, but it doesn't really affect the imaging, so I'm pretty sure that's not part of your problem.

Without question your power is part of the problem, a bigger part than you realize. Instead of another receiver, spend the money on separates. Used gear is a great way to get more for less. You can find good deals here in the Flea Market and Audiogon is a great place to shop too.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Shouldn't impact SDA imaging much, but with the rear firing PR, I'd get a little further away from the rear wall.

Room openings also play a role. At one time my left SRS imaged wider, in another set up my right did. The "narrower" side seemed to coincide with side that had an opening relatively close by...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2005
    Options
    At West Mnt. or at Gore?
  • DR. SNOW
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I sell and service the guns. West Mountain has 20 of our guns as of 3 years ago. And I must say it was about time. Having worked ther for a few years I understand there business and constraints. Gore is state owned as is Whiteface these areas are difficult as the lowest bidder get the contract. We are is the snowmaking business not the slopmaking business. And we market our equpment as a better than your average product, thus if want a chevy by one if you want a BMW come to us. I was excited to get West onboard as I grew up ther, but they have a long way to go to really make better snow. YOu can't really go in and tell em how to do there job, as much as you would like to. I make as many suggestions as I can BUT.... My territory covers the entire east but I travel out west several times a year to take care of Alta, Keystone and Loveland which currently hav automation. I have yet to get a fully auto in the east but ski ares out here are a little slower when it comes to snowmaking technologies believe it or not. It is really a generational thing . As the older guys move on and the younger guys like me come in automation will follow.
  • DR. SNOW
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Here is a photo of an Automatic on a tower in Austria
  • DR. SNOW
    edited April 2005
    Options
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    That's man gear if I ever saw it....cool. I have the strange desire to put my face in the front of that thing.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.