edited April 2005
    Options
    Will this help?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Not really, Bob...

Is it saying that some SRS's are AI-1 compatible??? Did not think that arrived until the 1.2tl came on the scene. Please elaborate...

F1,
    Agree that 1000 wpc is overkill, but WTF...

I've read where CA's ribbons are all over the place when driven... Maybe moreso with the earlier models than the Plat's however.

cl35m,
    As he intimated F1's a former ES devotee... not all that long ago (maybe two years???), anyone dissin' ES had to deal with him... ;)

I'm SE, but have in-laws in Katy (in the development by the Academy on the south side of I-10).

Shoot me a phone number via e-mail or PM and we'll look to hook up before month's end.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Good God Man! You mean to tell me that we've been wrong all these years, that you can use the AI-1 with the SRS's even though they use the blade/blade cable??? I looked at my AI-1 instruction sheet and it says the same thing. What's funny to me is I never noticed it before now. :o

Has any one every seen a pin/blade socket on a pair of SRS's? The instructions talk about an adaptor for the early 1C's and 2B's, but nothing about the SRS's or SRS 2's. I know one thing, you can't shove a round pin in a flat slot.

I'll still defend ES gear to those who outright bash Sony ES gear, but there is much better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Tour2, I only put up the chart to help candy35 figure out if his 2Bs could be biamped or not by checking his serial numbers.
    You will notice the chart specifies that "...and all units of SDA-2B require plug adaptors and some internal modification to the crossover to be used with the SDA non-common Ground Amplifier Interface." I wouldn't want to elaborate on Polk's recommendations.
    We know that the 2Bs came earlier with the B/B ICs and the later ones have the P/B ICs yet Polk (on the AI-1 box and in the AI-1 OM) says all units need adaptors. Confusing point. I never biamped either pair of my 2Bs but if I remember right my brother did years ago with a P/B model and an AI-1 and did so with communication with Polk. I'll have to ask him if he had to do any mods to the crossovers.

Could it be that by the time the serial numbers of the SDA-SRSs reaches the "Both Channels #5001 or greater" catagory, they have actually become the SDA-SRS 1.2s? You'll notice the 1.2s and 2.3s are absent from the list. Perhaps when the SDA-SRS 2s hit the #1945 or greater range they are the 2.3s. Biamping of the 1.2s and 2.3s with the AI-1 is basically a given although not listed directly as such.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by BobMcG
    Could it be that by the time the serial numbers of the SDA-SRSs reaches the "Both Channels #5001 or greater" catagory, they have actually become the SDA-SRS 1.2s?
    Actually that did cross my mind as well...

No matter here, however, as my S/N's are both well below 5000...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Many of you have probably already read this, it's a white paper by Bob Carver on the Sunfire amp. For my pea-size brain, it explained how a amp works and why:

http://www.vxm.com/21R.69.html
  • F1nut
    edited April 2005
    Options
    What, it's page 2 and you're still here! ;)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Still page 1 here...

cl35m,
    Thanks for the link... I've read it before, but did not have a copy.

Are you interested in Sunfire?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• candyliquor35m
    edited April 2005
    Options
    F1, oh yeah still here but it's winding down i think. I've taken enough of everyone's time. The last part about the serial #'s was interesting and a little something new for some of you guys.

Tour, I still want to upgrade to the srs's and get 500 - 1000 watts from my amp either from a new purchase such as sunfire or running my carvers mono but that sounds risky and complicated.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Don't blame you...

To run twin bridged Carvers you'd have to go to the SRS 1.2tl's and find/ build the AI-1 SDA IC. The1.2tl's go for a $600 or so premium over the SRS's.

Original Series 1, Sunfire Signatures are still high on ebay, audiogon, etc., but are starting to come down. You might actually save a few bucks going with the original 5-ch Signature Cinema Grand (5 x 400 wpc into 8-ohms; instant bi-amp) vs. the 600 wpc Signature stereo model.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• candyliquor35m
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Is $1475 a fair price for the Signature 600? If I have to bite the bullet I will.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The Audiogon one in TN?

Versus historical, not a bad price, but it has some scars and last one on ebay went under $1300.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5756777443

Really a matter of how patient you are willing to be. You might be able to use above to leverage seller on the obo.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• candyliquor35m
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Yes the one on Audiogon, I didn't look up the zip. It doesn't even have the manual or box. I can be patient especially since I'm hoping to find the srs's close like tx or la which isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
  • BobMcG
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I just talked to my brother. A long time ago he did have his P/B 2Bs biamped with a standard P/B AI-1. No crossover mods were needed. Once again, years ago he used to have his early model B/B 1Cs biamped also. (They're on a stereo amp now.) He contacted Ken Swauger about biamping them. Ken said he would need two things to do it. A custom AI-1 with B/B connectors and an adapter. (No crossover mods.) Ken said what the heck, he'd make him up a custom AI-1 and cable with the adaptor built in. Done deal. Works fine. He's taking a picture of it and emailing it to me.
  • BobMcG
    edited April 2005
    Options
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Interesting... To what are the two spades meant to be connected?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    One to the wall outlet and one for your sack.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Glad I didn't ask about the BB plugs...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    edited April 2005
    Options
    They go to the negative binding posts.

President of Club Polk

• BobMcG
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Doro, close! But what F1 says.:)
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I need to destroy that diagram then....damnit.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BobMcG
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I dunno, I think a diagram like that would be worth posting! :D
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I have actual visuals of the process....but I think it would violate the forum rules.

As a side note, it works, and closes your legs tight as a ****....and the "Get it off, get it off!!!" comment gets shouted alot....damn Polkies don't know how to get initiated anymore.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    LOL...

I figured it was either the neg terminal or the left nut, but really need to look at the real schematic make sense of it...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli