replacement tweeter for monitor 7b

Options
SFguy
SFguy Posts: 3
edited March 2005 in Vintage Speakers
hey, this is my first posting here, but it's also the first time I've had to deal with this problem: after a happy 25 years the tweeter on one of my 7b's has died, and I am having difficulty finding a replacement. customer service at Polk unhelpfully suggested purchasing a pair of new SL2000s, which makes no sense to me at all.

any suggestions on tracking down a replacement peerless, or a pair of something that will match the existing sound profile for the speakers?

all suggestions greatly appreciated!
Post edited by SFguy on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited March 2005
    Options
    The only way you're going to find another Peerless is to buy another pair of 7B's or shop ePay as those tweeters do come up once in awhile. Actually, the helpful folks at Polk made a very good suggestion as the replacement tweeters (RD0194-1) have excellent sound quality and will match the existing sound profile perfectly. You will have to modify the opening ever so slightly, but it's not a big deal and you'll have your speakers back in no time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    Options
    If you're going to go with the replacement, get two and do both speakers.

Why do you say that Polk's suggestion was unhelpful???
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • SFguy
    edited March 2005
    Options
    thanks for the info. I guess I'm confused though: the polk folks list the RD0101-D as the replacement for the 7b, and the RD0103-C as the SL2000(t), but I'm not finding the SL2000/RD0194-1 anywhere on the site. hence my unhelpful comment above.

am I missing something here?
  • F1nut
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Yeah, forget what's on the parts list, it's kinda outta date. You want the RD0194-1.

Be sure to mention that you're a Club member to get a discounted price.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SFguy
    edited March 2005
    Options
    thanks much! I was thinking that either I was going brain-dead or getting a very unexpected runaround from customer service.

the RD0194-1 it is then.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2005
    Options
    You're welcome.

It's always best to call customer service at any company from my experiences and Polk's is second to none.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2005
    Options
    SFg,

I'm curious to hear what you think of the RD0194-1 vs the original Peerless.

Please post your thoughts after you've had some time with the replacements.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by SFguy
    ... but I'm not finding the SL2000/RD0194-1 anywhere on the site. hence my unhelpful comment above.

search the forum using the model numbers (the search button at the top of the page). you'll get plenty of hits.

)