what receiver do i get?

jpepster
jpepster Posts: 12
edited May 2002 in Speakers
Have r40's for mains and center is 175i. No rears yet. Looking for a yamaha receiver (i think)
Any suggestions. I'm using an older sony that i don't like.
Thanks
Post edited by jpepster on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited May 2002
    Simple, the one that you think sounds the best. :)

IMO Yamaha would be a good choice. Many people on this board also use Denon and Onkyo, and a few use Harman Kardon.

Find one with the features that you want, and give it a listen to. You can't really go wrong with any of the above mentioned receivers. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
  • dllarkin
    dllarkin Posts: 33
    edited May 2002
    Don't know what your budget is, but don't rule out separates either.

I am a bit schitzophrenic, as I have an Onkyo 676 receiver (which I love) that drives my center and surrounds for HT purposes, and I use the front pre-outs to provide signal to my Adcom GFA-555 amp which I use for the mains in the HT, and for 2-ch stereo.

Turns out that this was a relatively inexpensive way of having the 'best of both worlds' effect as far as all-in-one capability of a receiver for HT and quality of separates for 2-ch stereo music goes. (Although I'm sure some would argue that since I use the receiver as a pre/pro that I'm not really using separates for 2-ch...)

Point is, this is the configuration that works well for me based on what kinds of things I use my gear for and how often.

You need to do some of that kind of assessment before you shell out a bunch of coin for something that you're not really interested in - or not enough coin for something that you find to be vital.

And don't limit your possibilites. There are an infinate number of ways to hook up a rig to sound phenomenal doing just what you want it to do.

</soapbox off> :D

Good Luck. Put some time and research into this - you'll be happy that you did!

David
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited May 2002
    I think Yamaha is a great choice...I have gone from JVC to Sony (very briefly) to Onkyo to Yamaha, all in the last 6 months...I think Yamaha has a really nice warm sound and gives a lot of bang for the buck. I think now is also a good time to buy; since they have a new line that has come out in the last month you can find some good deals out there on the old ones (the main difference on the new line is they have added a Prologic II decoder to replace the old Prologic and the $500 model now gives you 6.1 surround).
    I picked up an HTR5460 at Sears last month that was $499 at the beginning of the year for $199 (open box deal, missing the manual, which I downloaded free online at Yamaha.com).
    Good luck!
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • gplracer
    gplracer Posts: 36
    edited May 2002
    Have you looked at Onkyo and Denon? I have the Onkyo 595 and I am real happy. The new model is the tx-600. The Denon 1802 is also a good choice. If you do not mind buying online take a look at Outlaw. I hang out at Home Theater Forum I hear a lot about these models but not much about Yamaha. Of course that does not mean that they are not good.

Good Luck!
  • aaburto99
    aaburto99 Posts: 17
    edited May 2002
    Also consider Marantz. The SR-5200 is only about $450US, and features Prologic II and 6 channel surround. I'm very happy with it.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2002
    Take a look at the Pioneer Elite VSX-36 or -37TX . 7.1 channel and THX Ultra Certified.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited May 2002
    the outlaw 1050.
    online only,u can't hear it until it's in your home,but once it's there - you'll never get rid of it...(u might add an ext. amp. but it really isn't needed) --- IMO
    6.1 capability,etc.etc. check the reviews online-"best bang for the buck" and a couple of awards - don't like?! - send it back w/in 30 days--u pay the return
    post on that 1 - the best cust.svc ever!
    I do not work for them!, just a very satisfied cust.
    for 499.00 U.S. $ plus ship (overnite dhl 55.00 i recall-or 35.00 ups ground) -- it will blow away others in the 800.00 to 1000.00
    $ range--again all MY opinion-do not let watts fool u!
    CHEERS! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited May 2002
    I think Polk sounds best with HK. Heard the AVR510 (now the 520) on the RTi600's, and it was great.