Monitor 10

Options
2»

Comments

• sbilderb
    sbilderb Posts: 8
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Sorry I didn't get the memo stating that you were the spokesman representing the opinions of all the other readers.

It is not arrogance on my part but ignorance on yours, a poor attempt at unsubstantiated character defamation to gain an upper hand in an argument instead of intelligently covering the points is question should be reserved for junior high students. You big poopy head!
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Nevermind... hopeless case.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I felt compelled to post something here... and it's simply that I'm walking away.

This thread has wasted enough of everyone's time. (since it got derailed, that is)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2005
    Options
    FYI

Anytime you ship speakers, put a shorting wire across the +/- terminals. This reduces cone movement in transit, an old trick taught to me years ago.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nadams
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    FYI

Anytime you ship speakers, put a shorting wire across the +/- terminals. This reduces cone movement in transit, an old trick taught to me years ago.

Right, it cancels out the voltages generated by the bouncing drivers, thereby causing the voice coil to resist movement in the magnetic field. DUH! :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by sbilderb
    >. . .you have done the latter. It may sound better to you, but there are those of
    > us to whom it makes no sense for various reasons.

May I kindly say that if it makes no sense to you, maybe you should hold your judgment until it does. If you try to prove your point based on self-imposed ignorance you'll never win or learn. I not a kid in the basement just tossing stuff together, there are years of design and testing to support each project. If you have evidence to any error on my part I'll gladly address it.

Over the years I have set my Polk’s up on a one-on-one comparison to the many of B&W line, Magniplainers, JBL and EV studio line and many more. Once the passive crossovers are bypassed, it is amazing how smooth the mids are - up to 120 db at three feet, and the low starts rolling off about 10 db per octave at 75 hertz (not so good if you like techno). FYI: not one of my components can be bought at Best Buy or Circuit City, which also can make a big difference.

Man, how did I miss THIS particular pantload?

I'm assuming that his job doesn't have an aggresive drug screening program.

Keep practicing cochise, it' s the only way to make it to Carnegie Hall.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2005
    Options
    "Magniplainers"

This guy knows his ****!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Hey, not ONE of his components can be bought at CC or BB

BDT
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    "Magniplainers"

This guy knows his ****!

That's the plain version of the Magneplanar line...LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,189
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    That's the plain version of the Magneplanar line...LOL

This thread is almost as amusing as when George went off on Phuz.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • marly421
    marly421 Posts: 73
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Sorry I didn't get the memo stating that you were the spokesman representing the opinions of all the other readers
    Sbilderb, thank you for the good stuff, we are listening. Most are real help in here but there are five members that feel they are running this forum (and more) and three of them are mouthing off on this tread.

They always have bad attitudes and similar intention. I take no heed in a thing they say and you shouldn’t either.

For myself I simply picture them standing in front of their computer, putting a Michael Jackson move on their Johnson with one hand and doing a deep nose probe with the other. After that…nothing matters in what they say. Welcome to forum BTW
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by marly421
    there are five members that feel they are running this forum (and more) and three of them are mouthing off on this tread.

yeah guys. shape up or ship out! :p

this forum is for everyone who loves Polk Audio speakers. that's what brings us together. Beyond just what Polk offers... a great deal on some really good speakers. Polk gives us this forum where we can trade info, learn, help, and become good friends some of us.

Sometimes riffs come up.. and get out of hand. but for the most part... everyone in here is pretty cool. If you're not cool... then with communicating with other people about the many topics covered here.. then.. you may not feel welcome. You get out of this forum what you put into it. Participate in a discussion and you'll not only learn something new.. you'll meet some good quality people as well.

Bottom line.. most people in here are just playing with you. Don't take anything personally, or take offense to it. Often times it's just a simple misunderstanding.

peace
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • PolkFreak
    PolkFreak Posts: 91
    edited March 2005
    Options
    FYI, Polk didn't make the 10B in 1976. It was the 10 then 10A.
    Sbilderb, I think you are suffering from some type of social isolation. You thought Doro, TroyD, or other members commenting on your posts were threatened and claimed to know more than everyone. It is impossible for you to understand and measure the scope of who these people are and the amount of knowledge that they have accumulated over their lifetime by a few posts on this forum. To claim you know more than them when you don't know them is completely irrational as are your suggestions. You basically changed the whole composition of the way the speakers were intended to sound. Doro pointed out the flaws of what you were saying plain and simple. It is completely natural for you to defend your sinking ship as your claims don't hold definitive water. I don't think you realize that you are swimming at this moment because Doro just sank your battleship! I think your speaker mod suggestions are in line with mine. I rewired my SDA 2A's with heavier wire and pulled out some of the polyfill and made an exaggerated claim that my speakers sounded better. I also replaced my original MW6510 drivers with the MW6503 driver because the MW6503 drivers were the ones from Polks TOP SDA SRS speaker. The MW6510 and MW6503 drivers at different times went in cabinets of the exact same size and were always matched with the same SL2000 tweeters. Now the crossovers probably aren't matching for the MW6503 to blend with the tweeter in that SIZE cabinet that they are in. The crossovers are set to blend with MW6510, but I emailed polk and found out that the difference between the MW6510 driver and the 6503 driver is very small. Ken said they have different motor strength and the MW6503 goes 2Hz lower than the MW6510. It is apparent to me that the motor strength of the MW6503 driver is higher than the MW6510. Anyway, motor strength and the FR were the two things that needed to be the closest for my 2A's to sound right. Even though the difference is so small the bass sounds much deeper to ME. My friend who is very subjective also noticed the bass improvement. I can have the bass set to zero like it should be and have more bass than the MW6510. I could distort the bass to +8 or +10 with MW6510 and still not hear the amount of bass I hear with the 6503. The difference SEEMS to be night and day. I like the midrange better too. Which brings me to my polyfill adjustment in which I cut out some of the polyfill and rolled it up in a block shape to have the upper cabinet evenly filled just above the drivers. I also put a square piece at the base of the cabinet. The rest of the cabinet is empty so there is none behind the drivers and so on. Before that the cabinet was filled wall to wall with polyfill. The drivers were blocked off from the passive radiator. I was wondering how the passive radiator could absorb the sound from the drivers with being completely blocked off from them with the polyfill? The PR is still relieving the cabinet pressure from the drivers otherwise it wouldn't be moving. The polyfill IMO muffled the midrange. It was like I had a pillow over the drivers. My Monitor 7C's and 5 JR++ came with the polyfill just above the drivers and none behind or below the rest of the cabinet was empty. This isn't what gave me the idea though. I just wanted the sound to be forced down to the PR of my SDA's.

All of this is an example of individual perception.
    We all are looking at the same things and have to learn and remember them. That is the basics of learning like your a-b-c's
    are all of the building blocks of words that we use to form English
    weather it be good or bad. The extent of your vocabulary is the
    extent of your communication level and how much you understand as a whole. Their is a specific way of looking at things and everyone looks at them different due to their upbringing and environment as well as genetics. All things aside from the real facts are a matter of opinion. Some people form irrational opinions around their lack of facts. People can fear something because they don't understand it. That is why they say , "fear is not an option" because fear destroys all options. If you were driving a car and heading toward something and all you had to do was go left or right and instead chose fear as your option and in a state of panic made no decision to go left or right you would crash the car. Lets hear it for fear the option killer!!! The Option less option! So my lack of understanding and inability to see the facts of how my speaker is working has formed my silly opinion. I told Doro to replace his polyfill in his SDA's with underwear and socks. His mistake was putting DIRTY underwear and socks in his SDA's and it made his sound muddy. I told him he should do that laundry and it would clean up his sound. :D Just a little bit of an inside joke!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,189
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Polkfreak,
    You must have some time on your hands. Go watch some basketball and drink a green beer or something.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Excellent post Polkfreak, regardless of my involvement it is a breath of fresh air to read.

EDIT: I appreciate your kind comments, but I'm just a Polk junkie, and still learn a couple things about Polk from time to time.

P.S. - I found that one clean sock and one dirty sock is actually key to the success of that idea ;)

Cheers!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by marly421
    Sbilderb, thank you for the good stuff, we are listening. Most are real help in here but there are five members that feel they are running this forum (and more) and three of them are mouthing off on this tread.

They always have bad attitudes and similar intention. I take no heed in a thing they say and you shouldn’t either.

For myself I simply picture them standing in front of their computer, putting a Michael Jackson move on their Johnson with one hand and doing a deep nose probe with the other. After that…nothing matters in what they say. Welcome to forum BTW

Awwwwwwww....my feelings are hurt.

<<......she's just a girl who thinks that I am the one....but the kid is not my son...>>

BDT
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I found marly421's post interesting. I went back and looked at his 30 prior posts to see what got his panties in a wad...and guess what....in over half of those he is getting good, friendly advice from the likes of Doro, F1, Tour and I believe even Russman chimed in with some help on a post. I assume these members are part of the "GANG OF FIVE" he is referring to. I noticed he used the word "thanks" quite often...but I couldn't really find where he has offered any help to anyone else...just an observation.....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited March 2005
    Options
    sbilderb, you've listened to almost every speaker made, eh? Now, that is some funny stuff! Any chance you wear a mask and a cape too? :rolleyes:

I'm taking back any help I offered to you marly, so there. Nah, nanah, nanah, nah.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2005
    Options
    It's funny how those that hate, don't participate.

If I am in that "Five", fantastic, because I actually care about this forum. I respect the individuals that visit this forum, provided they not visit to simply sell something...as that's just lame.

Marly, please continue with your rhetoric, as it's nothing new. You folks have come and gone...with nary a helpful tidbit to share....just negative comments about the forum and its members.

We care about this forum, do you?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by sbilderb
    Sorry I didn't get the memo stating that you were the spokesman representing the opinions of all the other readers.

It is not arrogance on my part but ignorance on yours, a poor attempt at unsubstantiated character defamation to gain an upper hand in an argument instead of intelligently covering the points is question should be reserved for junior high students. You big poopy head!

Memorandum

Date: March 18, 2005

To: sbilderb

Subject: Spokesperson

Tour2ma is spokesperson.

Have a nice day.

RT1
  • nadams
    edited March 2005
    Options
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! :D
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • PolkFreak
    PolkFreak Posts: 91
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Dorokusai, thank you for the comment! I'd also like to say congratulations on making marly421's list of the FANTASTIC 5 buttholes.;) I wouldn't mind having a virtual green beer with the people who made it on the list. :D

Had to edit to replace the "a" word with the "B" word :D
    It looks "clean" now. Also ment to say , "the people who made it on the list". Not, "made the list".