Best place to buy a 550 or 650 Polk subby

kanicker
kanicker Posts: 86
edited May 2002 in Speakers
I strive to avoid retail. Any advice or experience buying these subwoofers?
Post edited by kanicker on

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited May 2002
    Guy in Oregon (I think it was) is closing his store and has some real good deals on Polk's on Audiogon right know. I think the 650 was $325.00? It is a floor model, but it's worth a phone call!
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • gplracer
    gplracer Posts: 36
    edited May 2002
    I love my polk speakers but try svs it is so much better their subs are so much better. There is no comparison. www.svsubwoofers.com
  • kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited May 2002
    What does anyone else say about these SVS subwoofers? Could this guy be from the company? (no offense) Any suggestions on models?
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2002
    Take a look at HSU subs. They are fast garnering an apparently well deserved reputation for being fast, musical, loud, and VERY deep playing subs.

The independent reviews don't lie. I don't own one, nor do I work for the company, but other people in this forum can substantiate my statements. I think Juice21 owns two VTF-2's.

The new VTF-3 for about $800 is supposed to be an absolutely incredible bargain for the performance it offers, staying flat into the subsonic range and kicking out obscene dB levels.

BTW, I think Polk subs are just fine. They play tight and clean and are musical and fast with minimal overhang and go pretty deep. They serve double duty for HT and music pretty darn well - at least to my ears. IMHO, they compete well against any sub in their respective price range. The PSW650 (Polk's current sub flagship) can be had for about $550 on-line through E-bay and many other sites. Readers seem to like it, but it seems somewhat trouble prone, with many posters stating theirs had been in for service more than once.

The problem is Polk (since the untimely demise of the PSW1200) does not really have a killer sub in the line-up that will compete with the other $1000-$1500 subs on the market.

Spec
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • gplracer
    edited May 2002
    I love my SVS and no I do not work for them :) I hear the HSU are really good too! Here is a link for any doubters:

Sub Review

I have two SVS CS+ 20-39 subs and a samson 1000 watt amplifier. I hear the new pci line is good and they come with a built in amplifier but I have not heard one.
  • BESKI64
    BESKI64 Posts: 28
    edited May 2002
    I have only had my new SVS 25-31PCi Sub for one week, but I am starting to like it more each time I hear it. (I had a real hard time picking between the SVS and HSU Subs) I exchanged my PSW350 (with Circuit City's trade-up program) for some 35i's to stack on top of my 800i mains at the advice of "Juice21".

My living room is large at 14X28 with a ceiling that hits 22 feet at it's peek, and last night Phantom Menace-Pod Races shook the room/house. I have always heard about bass you can feel.....last night I finally did. At $549 + $20 shipping you get 45 days to try it at home....if you don't like it, send it back.

Beski
    (Just my Opinion.....No, I don't work for SVS either!!)

Mains: RT800i + RT35i
    Center: CS400i
    Rear: F/X 500i
    Sub: SVS 25-31PCi
    Receiver: Sony STR-DE-945
  • gplracer
    edited May 2002
    BESKI64 try Jurassic Park 3 in DTS mode. Chapter 5-8 where the two giant dinos fight. :-)