L 9.5" or could be 10.5"

take a guess....
Post edited by Polk65 on

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited March 2005
    SDA CRS(+)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2005
    Brilliant as usual DarqueKnight ;)
    I wanted to leave a hint, but saying there was a rear PR would have given it away.

I thought I would share my experience of finding these. A few days before, I had spent an afternoon walking through pawn shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army and saw no speakers worth paying for.

Last Saturday around 11:45pm I saw a local ad that had been posted at 10:30pm. I thought about it for almost 20 seconds before calling.

He answered the phone from his taxi and said I was the second caller. I asked when could I see them and he said his taxi shift ended at 4am. How about 9am or 10am I asked, and he said sure.

So there I was at midnight *WIDE AWAKE*

I went to bed, and tossed all night. It was worse than a night before catching a plane.

At 7am I stumbled out of bed, showered, grabbed some food and hit the road. It was a good morning, I drove the 90 miles setting the pace most of the way in the fast lane with no sign of cops.

I took the exit and a few turns here and there, 4 lanes became 2, then to a single divided road... then I saw horses. Lots of them. Signs reading 'hay for sale' and 'you pick your fruit' etc... This did not look good. I pulled out the map, found I had drove way past the turn off street and had to go back.

When I got there, he said he had nothing to hook them up to. I said no problem and went back to my car for a small receiver and cables.

While we hooked them up I was glad to see no signs of armor all. They sounded and looked good to me so I bought them for $180 including stands and interconnect :)
    He mentioned there were 9 calls that morning but he was a man of his word (lucky me).

Problems are:
    * some peeling of the veneer on the back.
    * the speakers were attached to their stands with double-sided super sticky tape.

Eventually I plan to put new veneer on them, but for now I am happily getting my SDA on again.

I spent the last few days cleaning the sticky tape off, and 'airing' the cabinets - they stink of cigarette smoke.

The outer drivers are 6511's and inner are 6510's. All are stamped CRS (May 16,17,18 1988) and are not marked as warranty replacements.

Some advice for those searching for gear... act quickly or you will loose out. Not everyone acts as nicely as most Club Polk members do. Finally, bring some test gear with you.

Here's a few pics:
    p1.jpg 54.4K
  • Polk65
    edited March 2005
    Thanks to all the forum members that share their time and knowledge :)
    p2.jpg 101.2K
  • Polk65
    edited March 2005
    Here's the final photo for now. These actually look worse than it really is. The pictures were taken at angles to the speakers and the rear MDF seems to stick out but this is not the case.

The next picture I take will look kind of funky. I'll take a shot of these next to my RTA12's with their covers off :P
    p3.jpg 76.7K
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited March 2005
    Cool.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited March 2005
    Good deal!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2005
    Take a black Sharpie to it.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2005
    although not mint.. they sure don't look to bad to me.

nice score there.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    Wow... that exactly the kind of deal I'm looking for... Good for you!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2005
    Those are easily worth a hundred more than you paid. Especially with the stands.
    Congrats!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D