Model 5 Tweets

Options
canadianicon25
canadianicon25 Posts: 200
edited March 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I have an old pair of model 5 polks with shotty sounding tweets. Can anyone suggest a replacement for them? I don't care if they are manufactured by Polk (it would be nice though...) or if they are made by someone else.

Thanks
Irish
Post edited by canadianicon25 on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Call up Polk, mention that you are a Club Polk member, and they should be able to set you up with some replacement tweeters. I'm assuming that you're talking about the Monitor 5 speakers. If so, they could be anything from the SL1000 to the SL2500. Polk should be able to help you figure it out. You can reach them at 1-800-377-7655
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • canadianicon25
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I don't think they are Monitor 5. I have the original pamphlet for them and they say Model 5. Any suggestions?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Pull the tweeter out and see what the number is on the back.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• canadianicon25
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I'll give that a go. I was looking through some other posts and perhaps the fist reply was correct. My speakers look very similar to the monitor 5 speakers shown in other posts. I have the 1" done tweeter a mid-range and a passive 8" radiator.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Yeah, Polk's labeling wasn't the best in those days. Report back with the tweeter number, so we can get you pointed in the right direction.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• canadianicon25
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Hey everyone,

sorry for taking so long on this thread. here is what i found.

The tweeters has these numbers on the back:

Left:
    Tweeter:75142380
    Back of speaker: 5 117069

Right:
    Tweeter:55142280
    Back of speaker:5 1177059

I also noticed that the "polkaudio" name is attached to the bottom of the grill, not on the cabinet
  • F1nut
    edited March 2005
    Options
    The tweeter should have a number starting with SL or RD. Polk did make a M5 speaker, but the tweeters in those are SL5006.

President of Club Polk

• canadianicon25
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I don't see such lettering. Only the number (75142380). I unbolted the magnet part and there is a 2 printed on the upper side of it. On the same face as the white, fuzzy textured half-sphere. Any ideas?
  • F1nut
    edited March 2005
    Options
    The only idea I've got right now is to contact Ken Swauger at Polk Customer Service. I don't think you have the original tweeters or they are not Polk speakers. Got a picture?

President of Club Polk

• canadianicon25
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I sent an email to Polk tech. service. Hopefully they can help. The only other thing a found was printed on the x-over:

CK 8-11-80 5

Thats it. Thanks for all your help
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    Options
    F1nut- My original SL1000 tweeter that I pulled out of my Monitor 5jr's was not marked with an "SL" number. As you can see in the first post of my other thread- http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25377 , The warranty replacement driver was marked SL1000, but the original driver just had the serial number, a big "M5" stamp, and somebody had handwritten "Jr" on it (the date stamp is there, as well).
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • F1nut
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Ah, good info and point.

President of Club Polk