1.2TL bridge, driver and post

Options
babakke
babakke Posts: 2
edited February 2005 in Vintage Speakers
My 1.2s are broken after years of storage. Now I want to fix them, and since I live in Europe, and don't speak your language that well I don't know the words for the parts I need.

The upper connection on the back of one speaker is broken. The gold connector is split so I need a new one. Is this what they call the "Gold black post" in the parts list?

The bridge wire from the bottom black connector to the top one seems to be missing. Is there a name for that wire? Can it be purchased?

In the parts list 4xMW 6503 and 4xMW 6511 are listed, which are which in the speaker? I think they all look the same?

I hope you take the time to help me out. A broken 1.2TL is a sad thing.

Roof
Roof
Post edited by babakke on

Comments

• jcmccorm
    jcmccorm Posts: 103
    edited February 2005
    Options
    First off, I never would have guessed that that English wasn't your first language. You typed better English than a lot of Americans :)

I think the post is listed as "SRS Gold Black Post", with part number RE0301-1.

The bridge wires (I can't think of a better way to describe them than the way you did) don't seem to be listed in the parts list but it seems like they would be easy to make with some heavy gauge speaker wire and some wire spades.

Alternatively, I'd imagine that a hi-fi repair shop could make them if you didn't want to yourself.

Thanks for the picture too, that helps a lot.

Cary
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Contact kswauger@polkaudio.com for a set of replacement binding post(s).

It seems as though they have been replaced once already, beings those aren't the typical SDA binding posts that show up.

They are really easy to replace. The internal wires use crimped connectors, and they are secured to the binding post with a simple nut....remove nut, remove broken binding post, replace. I would say it's a 15 minute job.

I replace all my Polk binding posts with either the type available from Polk, or Vampire Wire, depending on how motivated I am that day. The latter type requires a little modification, and a larger crimp terminal or soldering iron.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • babakke
    babakke Posts: 2
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply guys!

I do believe they are the original posts. At least they have been there since I first bought them in '92. Can I buy just one post or do I need to buy both? I'm still interested in the original bridge wire if anyone knows where to find them.
    Does anyone know the difference between the MW 6503 and MW 6511?

Roof
    Roof
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2005
    Options
    If they were bought in 92' then they are probably stock. You only need one, but it never hurts to have an extra one.

I doubt that you'll find stock one's available anywhere, unless a member wants to sell you a pair of used jumpers. You should replace them with some high quality wires anyways.

There are a couple threads on that subject, do a search. they look and are said to perform much better.

The drivers are different in their construction, albeit minor.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Roof,

Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned, replacing the stock jumpers with better wire is a recommended tweak. To determine which driver you need, simply remove the bad one, look on the back label for the MWxxxx and contact Polk for a new one. The MW6503 is the stereo driver and the MW6511 is the SDA driver, they have different "Q's."
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I have a spare pair of those binding posts that I just found while looking for something else....if you want them, they are free. Drop me a line if you want them.

"Q" is one result/factor of a drivers' construction, in other words yes, they are different as stated previously. If you need specific driver parameters, email Polk.