Replacement RT12 Jumper Plates Needed

jrutz
jrutz Posts: 5
edited May 2002 in Troubleshooting
I was recently in a move, and the movers I hired lost my external jumper plates on one of my RT12s. Because I can't biwire them to my AVR1000, how can I go about getting replacement plates for these speakers?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
rutzj@yahoo.com
Post edited by jrutz on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    2 things

1. Why can you not bi-wire to your avr1000?

2. Make your own 12awg jumpers out of speaker wire.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jrutz
    edited April 2002
    1. Well, I was under the impression I would need two positives and two negatives for each speaker on the AVR1000 to biwire the speakers. If I can use two wires per positive and negative, then I could do that, but not preferred.

2. Then whats 12awg? Can I just use my monster cable speakerwire to act as a bridge between the two positives and negatives? Will this result in any loss in performance?

I would much rather just get replacement jumpers from Polk, and then use a workaround if my first choice is not available.

Thanks,

Jeremy
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    12awg (awg=guage) wire.

Actually, the factory jumpers on most speakers are fairly cheesy, and a home made speaker wire 'jumper' is a step up in performance, and signal transfer.

As far as bi-wiring, you do not want to use a 2nd set of outputs, that's what we would call 'ghetto bi-amping'. You can insert both pairs of wires, into the one pair of outputs, that is the correct way to bi-wire (assuming you are not using a pre-made bi-wire cable, which has 2 pairs of wire at the speaker end, and 1 at the amp end).

Cheers,
    Russ

Nontheless, I'm sure Polk Customer service will hook you up with a pair for next to nothing, give them a call. Then you can test for yourself.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jrutz
    edited May 2002
    One more question...

I just bought my 12awg wire for the jumper. Do I use both the (+) and (-) wires of the 12awg for each jumper? Or only the (+) 12awg wire for the positive connections on the speaker, and the (-) wire for the negative connections on the speaker?

Thanks for your help,

Jeremy
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    One wire, per post. Pos to pos, neg to neg. (the latter statement in your post is correct, although the other would work too, but present more difficulty connecting)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • jrutz
    edited May 2002
    Great, thanks! End of thread...:D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2002
    End, Hell no brotha...

Tell us what you think, how's the rig sound????

Cheers,
    Russ
  • jrutz
    edited May 2002
    I'll let you know early next week...when I get to my new place. The movers just dumped the stuff into storage this week.

NYC here I come!

Thanks for your help,

Jeremy