DCM speakers

Options
Aqs612scag
Aqs612scag Posts: 102
edited February 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hello
To anyone whose had any experience with DCM KX-12 speakers in the past, can you provide any specs on it. I tried their website but they dont archive their stuff.
Thanks
Post edited by Aqs612scag on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2005
    Options
    They appear to be your typical hard-rock speakers. Searching Google for the model # reveals some reviews, but no specs.

If it helps, I'm using a DCM powered sub in my 2.1 setup, and it holds its own. Disassembly revealed a 10" sub and a large torodial-powered amp.

The system it came from was one of those where you just have a single speaker unit that sits on top of the TV and has three "distinct" channels coming from the one box. Ditched that and just use the sub now.

Seems like they make some cheaper entry-level stuff.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2005
    Options
    DCM is an old, respected name in the audio industry. Get yourself a pair of old DCM Time Windows or Time Frames, then tell me they make entry level stuff.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • nadams
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Alright... my bad
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2005
    Options
    The old stuff must have been good.. But they used to sell cheap speakers at circuit city, dunno if its the same company.. But they were junk... But again no reflection on the old stuff, but currently(2004) it's nothing high end..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Just like a lot of other once proud companies........

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • George Grand
    edited February 2005
    Options
    AR
    KLH
    ADVENT
    DCM?

Maybe it was my mistake. If you guys are saying the current offerings from DCM are junkish, I have to accept it. It has been a VERY long time since I went into a legit hi-fi store looking at NEW speakers that might outperform The Amazings. 1991 to be precise.

My neighbor Dean had the Time Frame 600's or something like that when I moved to this house in 1987. They were NOT entry level, or junkish that's for sure.

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I sell DCM's where I work. They are pretty much entry level. We sell a lot of their $399 sub-sat package. It doesn't exactly redefine the audio industry but sounds pretty good for the money. We don't carry them, but they do make a $1000 pair of floorstanders that look nice, the Time Frame Evolution 200.

http://www.dcmspeakers.com/products/cabinet/tfe200.htm
  • nadams
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Here's a link to a gallery I put up with pics of my DCM system. Make sure to read the captions on the pics to understand what yer looking at :)

http://www.king-nerd.com/dood/images/minigal/index.php?list=temp/dcm

I like the sub. I know it's not the best, but it's good enough to reinforce my 5jr's in this small room.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Yeah, DCM has gone the way of KLH, Advent, AR etc etc....

Agreed on the Time Window, Time Frames. Funny thing is, the ones that I've seen have gone CHEAP.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2005
    Options
    The new DCM stuff is right up there with the new CV stuff. That should tell you all you need to know.

The KX series (early 90's) as posted here, isn't bad at all. Granted, it's not the time-aligned, Seas woofer, Phillips dome tweeter stuff of the frame/window era - but still decent for what it is.

Very efficient, sounds MUCH better on tubes than SS. Solid bottom end. I want to say those KX12's come in at around 96db, and are solid to 30Hz. I had a KX series sub for a LONG time in the HT rig. 10" woof / 195w amp in a slot-loaded bandpass enclosure - great sub for the money.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • George Grand
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Just got back from a used audio shop around here, and they have a nice pair of Time Windows. Tough to tell about surround deterioration with that grille clothe/sock business.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I have been listening to my original series DCM Timewindows a lot lately. This is because my low-power Bottlehead Paramours are on sabbatical (finally adding the C4S driver mods, one amp at a time):-) Meanwhile, I slipped my EICO HF-81 into the living room system. I thought it'd be fun to try the Timewindows with this amp. The combination is really seductive!

The Timewindows (at least the originals) have two TL-loaded 6-1/2" woofers with rubber surrounds (Philips I suspect) and a pair of Philips soft-dome tweeters.

Mine were $10 at a charity fleamarket a couple of years ago.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited February 2005
    Options
    george, the surrounds on time windows are rubber not foam. i know rubber can still detoriate but not as fast as foam.
  • George Grand
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Airplay, I found that out with a pair of Paradigm 7s' that I picked up at a yardie this summer. Two tiny cracks in one butyl surround. I put a little rubber cement into the seams of the cracks, and then a light coat over the face. Looks like it's going to work. They're nice speakers, but they're not Time Windows.

Nice score for a $10 bill Mark!

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I also sell DCM at my work (temporarily, we're dropping them). For what they are and their price range, I think they're damn nice speakers. The DCM26's retail about $400/pr and I'd take them over a set of Monitor 50's or even 60's. For under $400 for a set of towers, I dunno if they really have much competition. Now the FT10-FT12's... JUNK!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Yeah, the FT's are a joke. You work at NFM, don't ya?
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    Yeah, the FT's are a joke. You work at NFM, don't ya?
    ;)
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.