Ebay Auction Reference Page

Options
polksda
polksda Posts: 716
edited February 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I've been compiling sporadic Ebay auction results for vintage Polk speakers over the past few months and have put together a page with the results. It's not complete, but provides a good representative sample. I intend to add to it on an ongoing basis.

However, it's more than simply a list, as I've archived the actual auction pages in PDF format and made them available for viewing (after all, a picture is worth a thousand words, right? :)).

To protect people's privacy, I have redacted any identifying information about the buyer and the seller in each auction.

The biggest difficulty I've had is that in many cases, the seller has mis-identified the exact model of Polk speakers, so placing each auction in the correct category is difficult. In many cases, I don't know the exact difference between certain models. If anyone would care to outline the definitive visible differences between the following models, I would be grateful (I'd like to make a "How to tell the models apart" page for the site):
  1. RTA12 vs. RTA12B vs. RTA 12C
  2. Monitor 7 vs. 7A vs. 7B vs. 7C
  3. Monitor 10 vs. 10A vs. 10B vs. 10 Series 2
  4. SDA 2A vs. SDA 2B
  5. SDA 1 vs. SDA 1A (I believe both have horizontally-oriented tweeters)
  6. SDA 1B vs. SDA 1C (both have vertically-oriented tweeters?)

If this information is in the SDA Compendium, I apologize for asking. My copy is en route and I should have it this week.

The page isn't meant to be a definitive reference, but rather a way to assist people in determining either what they have or how much the speakers might (and I emphasize *might*) be worth.

If anyone sees auctions that are clearly in the wrong model category, please let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions as to how to make the page (or the site in general) more useful, feel free to critique.

Thanks in advance, and here's the URL:

http://www.polksda.com/ebay.shtml
Post edited by polksda on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Wow, really cool of you to go through the process of doing that...looks good.
  • Tide
    Tide Posts: 154
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Nice job. I've been doing something similar for my own use on the SDAs and SRSs, so I'll definately look at yours periodically to see what going prices are.

Also, as you stated, it's a great reference to see the age and model (a,b,c etc.) differences.
    SDA 2s; HSU STF-2; Yamaha RX-V1
    SDA-CRSs; Polk PSW-303; Rotel RB-960BX; Rotel RSP-960AX;
    LSi 7s; Infinity PS8; Rotel RB-980BX; Rotel RSP-980
    Mirage Nanosat 5.1; Yamaha RX-V2300
    Monitor 5s, 5 jrs, & 4s
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Thanks for hosting such a link!

I'm sure that those in the know will help with any ID needed. It will really help all those searching for that next great deal on their favorite model!

Very thoughtful, and appreciated!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Cool link and thanks for putting that together.

Definitely a "bookmark for favorites" in my browser.

Paul
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Very cool. Excellent contribution.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2005
    Options
    The SDA information will be covered in the Compendium.

The Monitor and RTA series are all mixed up to be exact but this is my understanding.
    Basically the first line, RTA & Monitor models had the Peerless(e.g. Mon7/10), begat the SL1000(Mon7A/10A/RTA12/RTA12B), begat the SL2000(e.g. Mon10B/RTA12C), begat the SL2500(e.g. Mon10 SII).

Keep in mind that I had a pair of RTA12C's which had an SL1000 installed, and matched schematics, not common....these lines vary quite a bit. These lines were built from what was in the bin or shelf at that time. I have seen multiple variations of the same speaker.

Basically, look for the Peerless. The others should be replaced with the new Polk replacement upon receipt of said speaker.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • waylyn5945
    waylyn5945 Posts: 18
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Excellent polksda,

You went through a hell of a lot of work. I put your link in my favorites. Thanks:-)
    Wayno
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2005
    Options
    ....to keep this excellant thread handy.

-Luc
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Excellent. Great job! Goes in my favorites too.