Monitor 7's

Options
okiepolkie
okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
edited February 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Someone help me here. I just stepped into the vintage collection with a set of of Montor 7's. I looked up some stuff about Monitor 7's before I bought them, but I'm still not exactly sure which models they are. Just by looking at the tweeter, I'm inclined to think they are the Peerless Tweeters, so they are probably closer to the original 7's.

Also, I've read where a lot of people have had problems in shipping where the drivers for the vintage speakers freeze up. What is the best way to have these packed to avoid this. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for shipping as to pay for replacement drivers.

I was debating buying another set of LSi7's, but I think these will be excellent speakers as well.

Maybe before long, I'll be selling off all of my LSi7's to put vintage speakers in thier place. I hope they pass the WAF.

Tschüss
Zach
Post edited by okiepolkie on

Comments

• okiepolkie
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Any help here on these?
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • okiepolkie
    edited January 2005
    Options
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Have the midbass drivers removed, zip tied together - facing each other, through ALL of the mounting holes.

Those look like the VERY first run of 7's, with the 8" pr.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • okiepolkie
    edited January 2005
    Options
    So did I make a good decision getting these?
    I paid $50, and we are still working out shipping.

Which tweeters did they use?
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I think your 7s have the Peerless tweeters. They look very similar to my Model 7As which sound great.

Check this out:

http://www.polksda.com/pdfs/OriginalMonitorBrochure.pdf
    Graham
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Nice find, let us know how they sound when they get there.

Russ,that's interesting that the first run had an 8 inch passive at the start.
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • okiepolkie
    edited January 2005
    Options
    They are in Glen Burnie, Maryland if anyone else is interested in them besides me. He would probably do local pickup if anyone lives close. I'll just charge the $50 I bought them for.
    With the info given in the auction and Fedex's shipping estimate, I thought they were going to be about $15 to ship. Then he emails me and says they are $45 to ship. He includes $10 for packing materials, but I was hoping to get this done for around $75. I know $20 may seem insignificant to most people, but there are other things I need more than another set of speakers. The WAF has a lot to do with it too.

If there are no takers, I'll get them and probably resell them at some point.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Tide
    Tide Posts: 154
    edited February 2005
    Options
    okie, are these 7s still for sale?
    SDA 2s; HSU STF-2; Yamaha RX-V1
    SDA-CRSs; Polk PSW-303; Rotel RB-960BX; Rotel RSP-960AX;
    LSi 7s; Infinity PS8; Rotel RB-980BX; Rotel RSP-980
    Mirage Nanosat 5.1; Yamaha RX-V2300
    Monitor 5s, 5 jrs, & 4s
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Zach(Okie) was kind enough to get in touch with me, and passed the deal onto me. The seller was actually an AK member, and turned out to be real cool, and a vintage audio nut, JBL specifically.

I picked them up the other day, and have been stripping them for parts as the cabinets were basically shot. One of them was completely compromised as the back panel was almost free from the rest of the cabinet.

Everything but one tweeter was salvaged, including crossovers. The amount of polyfill in these things was insane. They were completely stuffed. I cleaned up the drivers, PR's, bagged the crossovers, and even salvaged all the grill parts.

I am going to build a pair of upgraded crossovers just as a side project since they are fairly simple.

The parts will be on hand to cover any potential replacements for the Polkfest Monitor 7's, currently in the care of TroyD. That pair will now live forever.

Thank you Zach!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tide
    Tide Posts: 154
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Thanks dorokusai, sounds like they've gone to good use.
    SDA 2s; HSU STF-2; Yamaha RX-V1
    SDA-CRSs; Polk PSW-303; Rotel RB-960BX; Rotel RSP-960AX;
    LSi 7s; Infinity PS8; Rotel RB-980BX; Rotel RSP-980
    Mirage Nanosat 5.1; Yamaha RX-V2300
    Monitor 5s, 5 jrs, & 4s
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Good job guys for keeping them in he "family"

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • okiepolkie
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I still owe you something Mark for coming up with a use for them. I hope I didn't just waste your money on them.

Good news is that I've almost sold all of my gear,except for the ever lingering right channel FXi30's, so we are one step closer to a debt free life(at least from credit cards).
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2005
    Options
    You don't owe me anything man, the speakers couldn't have worked out any better.

When you get back into the fray, drop me a line, and I'll get you started on the way back into audio.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • okiepolkie
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Will do, Mark. I'm hoping to be in business by the end of this year if all goes according to budget. I'm not going to buy any audio equipment for myself until then.

If I buy anything off the forum for the next few months, it won't be for myself(meaning someone else has already paid me for it)
    Tschüss
    Zach