Plain out fiberglass

kwade89
kwade89 Posts: 77
edited January 2005 in Custom Fabrication
Excatly how hard is fiberglassing? i am thinkin bout molding a box and i have an idea of how to do it but i dont know how to do it all is it expensive? any suggestions?
Kaleb Wade

-00' Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab 1500

-Polk/MOMO-
MM6
MMc650
MM2124<2
-Phoenix Gold-
PG 100.4x
PG 100.2x
-Sony-
Explod HU F7005x
Explod 10Cd 757mx

Post edited by kwade89 on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2004
    From what I have SEEN, I never did it, but anyway it looks pretty easy. Two main things from the look of it are, getting your design right and it takes time to harden and what not.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2004
    its not terribly hard. the worst thing is is keeping out the air bubbles. someone told me about a fiberglass roller that helps but i havent looked into it yet. the best thing is, if theres a lot of bumps or something, dont do it with one big piece of matting. cut it up and use several smaller pieces. its kind of pricey. the big can of resin is $25, matting is $5 for a 3'x3' section. i highly recommend a respirator...and its ESSENTIAL when working inside a vehicle...thats $25. brushes are $5 for a pack. probably want some acetone so you can use the brushes over...i forget how much that was. it adds up really quick. if youre not doing something like a floor or wall, youll need fleece as well...but thats cheap.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • kwade89
    edited December 2004
    how do you remove the door panels on a 2000 chevy silverado ext. cab???? and web site that will help?
    Kaleb Wade

-Polk/MOMO-
    MM6
    MMc650
    MM2124<2
    -Phoenix Gold-
    PG 100.4x
    PG 100.2x
    -Sony-
    Explod HU F7005x
    Explod 10Cd 757mx

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited January 2005
    there should be a handfull of screws... probably one right at the door handle (could be located so as to not be visible untill you pull the handle out to open the door) should be one up by where the side mirror is as well... they typically also put them by the handle/cup (whichever yours has) on the armrest of the door as well... other than that it'll either be held on with 'pins' (little plastic things that pop into and out of the door panel) or it might be held in with brackets that slide into slots in the inner door skin... feel around for it and if it doesn't come off when you pull on it try lifting it straight up... Door panels are pretty easy but if you realy need the help pick up the hanes manual for it at AutoZone...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • kwade89
    edited January 2005
    Gracies Muy Mucho< Spanish 2 & thats bout it...
    Kaleb Wade

-Polk/MOMO-
    MM6
    MMc650
    MM2124<2
    -Phoenix Gold-
    PG 100.4x
    PG 100.2x
    -Sony-
    Explod HU F7005x
    Explod 10Cd 757mx