Integra receivers any info!!!

tjschrad
tjschrad Posts: 6
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
The Integra receivers, does anybody know much about them. Will they work well with Polk speakers.
Post edited by tjschrad on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    I know a ton about these receiver's, I put them in almost everyday.And to answer your question will they mate with Polk's???The answer is no.I can't say that for you as you need to hear them for yourself.I personally have a hate for this product line.They sound horrible.Yamaha is a bright line but is clear as well, Integra is extremly bright and muddy.sloppy sound from head to foot.I can answer any of your question's about this line.
    The 6.2 and 8.2 are the best seller's.The 9.1 just sit's and collect's dust as the rotel rsx1065 smokes it,The Pioneer Elite is superior to it, abd B&K avr307 can't even be said in the same breath.For that kind of money, you can do so much better.
    what ever you want to know,I can fill you in.
    here is my e-mail........Dmantis20@aol.com
    I hope you don't love them, because I really don't care for them, and if I offended you, don't tak it personal, they just don't work for me.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    do you feel the same with the onkyo line?
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    I'm sorry to say but yes, I found so many thing's about them i just don't care for.A receiver should sound good in your room with your speaker's and with your source's.I haven't been able to match any Integra receiver's well with any speaker line.the Anthony Gallo's don't sound to bad with integra, but Rotel sound's much better.
    Onkyo and integra is just about the same exact receiver from class to class.
    Dan
  • Integra
    Integra Posts: 14
    edited April 2002
    Mantis: Integras and Onkyos sound horrible; they are extremely bright and muddy; sloppy sound from head to foot...Are you on crack?! The Integra line is a very well built receiver. Denon and Onkyo are probably the two most popular receivers in this forum. I think most people would agree that Onkyo receivers match very well with Polks. I have read two different reviews on the Integra DTR-9.1, one in 'Home Theater Magazine' and the other in 'Stereophile Guide To Home Theater' both of which compared this receiver to seperates. Maybe it's your set up!
  • rayers1
    rayers1 Posts: 2
    edited April 2002
    My Onkyo sounds VERY nice with my Polks.

I've listened to Denon, and while they are certainly fine receivers, the difference in sound quality was virtually undetectable.

Your mileage may vary...
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Integra,
    Thats fine that you like your 9.1...if thats what you own.I have ran just about every speaker around on it,and they all sound horrible.The Rotel rsx1065 kill's it for music platback, the Interga can't even do music.The Pioneer Elite distroy's it without even turning it on.B&K avr 307...oop's wrong league.The Denon 5800.I did a side by side comparison, and the 9.1 sounded like a tin can compared to the 5800.Not even in the same class.
    I install these horrible receiver's and guess what ???It's the first receiver that ever went back due to poor sound quality for music.
    I will give you a good Install Story.
    This guy comes into our store.Wanting a Home theater system and want's to play music on it as well.It's his first Home theater.He listen's to the B&W dm line and pick's out an intire system for his room.He would like to Mate an Integra 6.2 to the package.He buy's a Pioneer Elite Pro620hd,A Sony dvpns900v dVD player,Monster cable wire and Interconnect's,Has Digital cable and VCR.He uses the DVD player hooked up both digital for movies, and analog for music to the cd input.We Installed everything and Programmed his Phillips Pronto to work the system.
    First of all after a couple of hours of break in on the B&W's we ran them hard, we set up the system and was ready to start testing it, tweaking speaker placement,etc.
    I put in Pearl Harbor and ran it in DD.The sound cut in and out.Funny my dick never did that before(I also never ran it on Integra)so we tested the Dvd output's and discovered the processor in the Integra was Bad.Ok we got him a new one.Again this happened,We called Integra,they are having problem's with there Dac's on some movie's.Ok thats killed, but what ever.After all this madness with it, the customer got to sit down and play his own music.We had our own and used it all day Long for break in and set up.He sat down to a Beetle's cd...listened for a moment and stood up.He said I hate the way it sound's something's wrong.So I sat down on the couch tweaked the main's for 2 channel and found the most horrible sound Id ever heard for a receiver in it's price class.I couldn't believe how bad it sounded.He returned the receiver and bought a Rotel.Never has he been so happy.The rotel woke up the entire system that you couldn't believe it was the same speaker's.
    I never had a customer tell me that his receiver sounded like a piece of junk.I wasn't thrilled with that but I was now on a quest to mate the right speaker's with Integra.I have in all my testing that nothing so far mate's well.Everything sound's tingy, muddy and overly bright.I can't listen to Interga for more than a couple of minutes.
    They also do the stupidest thing's.Like multiroom,you have to stop using theater in the main zone in order to power a 2nd zone, you loose the rear channel's.That suck's.
    I personally don't like Integra.It's funny,I was hot after the integra 9.1 after I read about it.I sat in front of it with intent to buy one and never took one home.
    But guess what, thats me, you can like your's all you want, mate it with your Polk's,cool if it float's your boat,keep sailing.
    It will never be apart of my system.
    Dan
    Dan
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited April 2002

Oh, well enough for Integra!!!

Har

:mad:
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited April 2002
    i have had 3 different onkyo receivers with the same polk rt10's and all 3 rcvrs rocked them.....3 different power ratings also...just my $.02
    felt i had too say something i have had a good relationship with onkyo over the past 7 years, i have drooled over the rotel catalog for the past 4 years and have pick out several diff setups i would like to have, but dont have the $$ for
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    i have a onkyo integra 939 and my yamaha rx-v1 kills it.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Yamaha vs Integra.
    The Yamaha is also a bright line,but is much more musical.They tend to be extremly clean in the upper bandwith.That tends to sound bright.Now if you want to talk about theater???Yamaha has one of the best Dynamic range In receiver's today.The rxv1 is mostly the most Dynamic receiver on the market.For Japenese receiver's.
    Dan
    Dan
  • Integra
    Integra Posts: 14
    edited April 2002
    If people want to listen to someone who plugs components in for a living, then that's fine. But my advice would be to listen to what the REAL professionals have to say... www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?74:1
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited April 2002
    If people want to listen to someone who plugs components in for a living, then that's fine.
    smiley_rotflmao.gifsmiley_rotflmao.gif
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    While I would never take one man's word to be the gospel, Dan is very qualified to make such statements. My only experience with Integra was with the 9.1 (I believe) hooked up to some B&W speakers, and I was thoroughly unimpressed.

Aaron
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Thanks Aaron but let me get in here for a minute.
    INTEGRA,
    Are you saying that because I plug in componet's for a living that I'm not qualified to a professional opinion,then what make's your opinion worth anything???????
    Let me fill you in on sone interesting fact's,i will try not to ramble on to far as my list goes on and on.Let me ask you these question's as well.
    1)are you a trained Home Theater/Multiroom audio/Home automation/Programmer/system designer/project mananger?????
    Can you answer yes to any of these???I can...........
    2) Do you have years of experience in the field as a Professional?
    3)Do you have any clue on how to mate product's that work together?
    4) can you spec out a 35 room system with light control,tempeture control,touch pad's, keypad's music everywhere?
    5)How about video all over the house???
    6)do you want me to continue with this and get real nasty?????
    7) Are you factory trained on any product?????
    8)I get trained on what I do ALL THE TIME.
    Don't ever insult my creditablity.I'm more qualified then just about EVERYBODY in here.But that still don't my comment's THE BE ALL END ALL.
    Listen Integra........I DON'T LIKE ONKYO/INTEGRA at all.That doesn't mean you can't or anyone else for that matter.
    As far as reviewer's..guess what man...I met with Moreen Jensen of Home Theater Mag.
    let me fill you in on general rule.They hold back alot from telling exactly how they feel about a product.Some don't and I respect that, but alot will not bash a product even if it SUCK'S.
    They aren't the BE ALL END ALL of what you should like and dislike,are they to you???FINE.
    To some this up.......................FOR EVERYBODY READING THIS.......
    Many people in here have his and her OPINION'S on gear.
    I however just happen to be a professional, that means every work day,I put together system's in many different room's, program all kind's of remote's,Touch screen's and such.Set up all kind's of different gear.People pay me for my Knowledge.Alot of Money.I think my creditablity is as good as anyone elses.
    If you dissagree with what I write, that fine.Take it for what it's worth,don't live and die by it.
    Jus to let you know I will be at Cedia next week TRAINING
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    want more i'm just warming up!!!!!!!!!!
    Dan
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited April 2002
    want more i'm just warming up!!!!!!!!!!

Go man Go!!:D :):D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    I DON'T LIKE ONKYO/INTEGRA at all.
    Dan - Don't be so reserved. Please tell us what you really think! laugh.gif
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    The flame is alway's burning........if you throw a log in it, you might get burned.
    Dan
  • vtec11
    vtec11 Posts: 82
    edited April 2002
    hey,

guys.. whatever happened to the poor guy that started this thread ? he did'nt post anything after the question. i wonder what he did.

hehe
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    If people want to listen to someone who plugs components in for a living, then that's fine. But my advice would be to listen to what the REAL professionals have to say... www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?74:1
    Research!!!!!!!!!!
    This is what I am talking about. A great review of a great reciever.
    It's funny but about 5 years ago I never heard hardly anyone talk about DENON. Now they are raved about. But I agree the DENON line over the last couple years has stepped up alot. That is why I chose the DVD2800 -- built like a tank and rips through almost all software. I have had 3 ONKYO's and they all impressed me. (IMO)
    ****Actually Polk had some plug and go's on the market and they used ONKYO components****** Come on, think about it!!!! Why would they chose Onkyo????? ;)
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    I will agree with you on RESEARCH.
    Thats how you find the right receiver for you.It doesn't matter what I say or any article or what company is using what.
    Let me fill you guy's in on something.....money makes the world go round,it also changes our way of looking at thing's.
    I will also say this......Integra receiver's are built well.
    Think about the money
    Dan
  • joe logston
    edited April 2002
    i have the intagra tx-ds939 receiver, i had it for yrs. i got it wend they frist come out. there is nothing wrong as sound gose , i got a yamaha rx-v1 (gold) and you can really tell the diffrance in sound form the two the yamaha is a lot better, i put the onkyo in my 2nd. system, and it works real good. no conplaints.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• mantis
    edited April 2002
    Joe,
    you got the rxv1 in gold.........SWEET!!!
    tHAT IS YAMAHA'S VERY BEST PEICE TO DATE.The rxz1 will hit the market anyday.It's cheaper as well.It will be discrete and neo 6 and PL2.Nice little upgrade, but I feel Yamaha should of made the rxv1 upgradable, not just controlable.
    Dan
  • joe logston
    edited April 2002
    yes mantis if they only, but i added a aragon 4004 mark2 to the mains, and a poa-2400 denon to the surounds, the set up is awesome now. you should hear it.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• mantis
    edited April 2002
    Sound's nice,
    I guess you were not happy with the amp's in the Yamaha???
    Does it make good preamp???
    I never ran that receiver as a preamp.I bet it drives the livin hell out of the amp's. I just love that peice..........
    Dan
  • joe logston
    edited April 2002
    yes a dam good pre amp with all the options and the hi bit porcessers dual 44 bits. the yamaha runs f&r center ,and the front effects will easy, its a easy load for it , and the response into the easy load is cleaded up because of it being easy.
    with the hi bit and easy load the yamaha is better in multi-channel than 2 channel if set up right i take my time to set, frist off i set ultimate for 2 channel the , speaker position, the mains and distance. then go to multi-channel , delays & loudness and the rest of the speakers poitioning work my way from the front to the back. that way i can switch back and forth from 2 channel to multi-channel to get my multi-channel as close as possible to sound like natual 2 channel, i dont want no phony suround sound, but with a plus of a natual ambient sound real close to 2-channel but a lot better. try it, it takes a lot of tedious work though. i run my yamaha in 2 channel & pro lodgic einhanced most of the time depends on software . subs get your sub or subs at about the same volume as the rest of your speakers,rise your crossover to where it starts to sound boomy then turn it back to where it gets tighter then fine tune by ear. then go back to the front center surrounds and the effects fine tune buy ear.
    leave the mains alone.

every one should read this it mite help them in there set up
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub