Anyone own a Greyhound...dog that is.

kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
edited November 2018 in The Clubhouse
Florida has banned Greyhound racing and there are alot of them who need a home. Im seriously considering it, since we are huge dog people and thinking of adopting one or two. Any current owners out there with info. they would like to share?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Is this new?
    By the way there was always many that needed a home. For every dog the won money they're 15-20 that didn't and if you didn't win money you didn't race and if you didn't race and win your bloodline was not needed. Sad but true, I've known many in Illinois that adopted ex-racing dogs.

Good luck most make good house pets but need room to let it go once in a while.
  • kevhed72
    Florida just passed a ban on racing, from what I understand.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Homer adopted one!
    39awy30zkisy.png
  • kevhed72
    I already have that name picked out....assuming everyone else buys off on it!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2018
    I met a couple who "rescued unwanted Greyhounds ". They had two and loved them and the dogs loved them back.

They said the same thing about they needed to run quite often. They love to run after sticks and balls.

The dogs looked very happy when I saw them. I think they're very obedient too.

The couple lived in the city in a quiet neighborhood. The road was their new racetrack. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited November 2018
    Almost adopted one 20 years ago. They like room to run daily, and, they like room to spread out on the couch, bed, chair or your lap. When they warm up to you they become long legged lap dogs
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Help me find my forever home. :cry:
    ea5y16c4tq6i.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    They have a propensity for hookworm. Be forewarned.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Ahhh, retirement at the @kevhed72 home!
    mxvlmdh555si.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    stretchl wrote: »

Honestly anybody that doesn't put their dog on monthly heartworm anti-parasitic medication doesn't really deserve to have a dog so hookworms are a thing of the past if you do that. NexGard Spectra will remove or prevent hookworms, whipworms heartworms, roundworms, fleas and ticks.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I had this:

ijkhtoptrn0j.jpg

"No Pugs Allowed?"
  • Tony M
    edited November 2018
    Can you spot my little antique bronze Greyhound? He's always checking out my speakers. ;)B)
    9cmfducd4xew.png
    ipse4xnwq6qq.png
    9ibign1s7bkl.png
    bodri0b6mbzu.png
    8zkw3w1zmaez.png
    b3wiko5wqgrd.png
    5zarpog8c9mh.png
    rz45ao1z57fx.png
    I rescued him from our local Goodwill store years ago. :p
    7osamla3wcy8.png
    idmmi7y27i84.png
    c4wcoluy4l7w.png
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • Tony M
    edited November 2018
    one or 2 more...
    jmrtpqkxo57q.png

• Tony M
    edited November 2018
    kkx02c5ihyyl.png
    sbr4d6myjbaw.png

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Looking at Tony’s pictures, I thought I was playing Where’s Waldo. :p
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    I thought it was a scene from audio hoarders :)
  • Tony M
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    the local goodwill store should come "rescue" you ...... ;)

I thought about giving them some cheap speaker sets since I bought a ton of sets from them dirt cheap years ago.
  • Tony M
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Looking at Tony’s pictures, I thought I was playing Where’s Waldo. :p

That was the plan. ;)
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Honestly anybody that doesn't put their dog on monthly heartworm anti-parasitic medication doesn't really deserve to have a dog so hookworms are a thing of the past if you do that. NexGard Spectra will remove or prevent hookworms, whipworms heartworms, roundworms, fleas and ticks.

I have a colleague who owns a grey and has struggled to rid her from hookworm for at least a year. I'm a dog owner and keep our little shih-tzu worm free with as you describe, but for whatever reason greys are hard to cure. A link:

http://prisongreyhounds.org/Hookworm 7-2018.pdf

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I have a colleague who owns a grey.

:o:o:o

vpbj86kuj1ae.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2018
    https://www.greyhoundfriends.com/2018/09/hookworm-alert/

Stretch yours was too small to read much of. From what I did read they are born with them from terrible conditions. If they are that hard to get rid of, many here may not like what I'm about say. But to the betterment of the breed NONE of them should be adopted out they should all be euthanized. Hookworms that are that bad and basically uncontrollable can be a severe health hazard to humans as well.

That's too bad goes to show money at any cost mentality by the breeders. Money because they kept using the same medicine that they were immune to intead of better more costly newer anti-parasitic medicine. They basically created a super bug.

Small children would be very susceptible as they are on the ground where the hookworm larvae are. With children putting everything and anything in their mouths that is a huge risk. Hookworms can also bore under a toe nail and between the toes of adults or children as well. Hookworms like roundworms can and are transmitted to humans.
    Too big a risk for me.

I will study it more on my work computer

Thanks
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • kevhed72
    Well thats not good...but I do appreciate the info!
  • Stay away from Greys, it is nearly impossible to rid them of hooks.

Hopefully chasing spunky is soon to be a thing of the past.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.