Hybrid system follow-up

A follow-up to my earlier post, Hybrid system - experimenting and learning...

The basics of my hybrid 2-channel/HT setup are now in place, and working pretty much as I had hoped.

2-channel chain
Squeezebox Touch w/ Welborne Power Supply
Marantz HD-DAC1
Marantz PM-14S1 integrated amp
Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grands
Sunfire HRS8 subwoofer

Home theater chain
55" LG OLED (1080p model from a few years ago)
DirecTV and Roku 3
Marantz NR1608 AVR
Marantz PM-14S1 (in power amp direct mode - powers left and right channels)
Vienna Acoustics Theatro center channel
Niles Audio DS7FX in-ceiling surround effects speakers
Sunfire HRS8 subwoofer

Connections
DAC to amp and AVR to amp via Signal Cable Analog Two ICs
Amp to main speakers and amp to subwoofer (speaker-level inputs) via Signal Cable Ultras
Squeezebox Touch to DAC via Signal Cable Silver Resolution Digital Coax
Center channel connected with economy speaker cable from Amazon
Surrounds connected with standard in-wall 14 gauge cable

This system will most likely stay in this configuration for a while. Next upgrade steps will probably be power cables (I did run two dedicated 20-amp lines), power conditioning, and possibly speaker cable/IC upgrades.

The subwoofer is also probably not my endgame solution. Since I have it connected via speaker-level inputs (because the VA bookshelves could use a little help in 2-channel operation), my HT is actually 5.0, with all speakers running large. I'm assuming that without a sub, the AVR sends the LFE output to the L&R main channels, which are tied to the sub (crossover set manually with the sub's dial). So... I don’t feel like I’m losing any performance there. Please enlighten me if I’m wrong. I do feel that this sub is an excellent performer for HT, but not necessarily as musical as I'd like it to be, so I'll be on the lookout for something else at some point.

Overall, this is the finest sound I’ve ever had in my home. I’m very pleased!

My only gripes? The Marantz integrated can only switch between modes by pressing a button on the front panel and holding for 3 seconds. There's no way to do this remotely. So yeah, I have to get up to do that. I’ve been making sure to leave it in HT mode, since I'm the only one who uses it for music. Funny thing is, if I forget and leave it in 2-channel mode, anyone who wants to watch TV only hears the center channel and surrounds, and they usually don't even notice!

Also, Marantz chose to use the same remote control codes for power on/off and volume for the integrated amp and the AVR. I use a Harmony remote, but it’s basically only good for HT operations. I don’t use it for 2-channel use, since it also powers on the AVR unnecessarily.

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited August 2018
    how about trying Signal Cable Silver Resolution from dac to amp?
    30 day home try out.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    marvda1 wrote: »
    how about trying Signal Cable Silver Resolution from dac to amp?
    30 day home try out.
    I'm not sure Signal Cable is where I'll end up. I want to listen for a while and think about my options. What improvements/changes do you think I'd see with the Silver Resolution vs the Analog Two?
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    since you have signal cables this is the next progression in their line and should be an improvement. if not send them back and start down the rabbit hole with different brands ($$$)
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mdaudioguy
    Update:
    New subs, power cables, speaker cables, mini PC

2-channel chain
    Squeezebox Touch w/ Welborne Power Supply
    Marantz HD-DAC1
    Marantz PM-14S1 integrated amp
    Martin Logan Dynamo 700w

Home theater chain
    55" LG OLED (1080p model from a few years ago)
    DirecTV and Roku 3
    Marantz NR1608 AVR
    Marantz PM-14S1 (in power amp direct mode - powers left and right channels)
    Vienna Acoustics Theatro center channel
    Niles Audio DS7FX in-ceiling surround effects speakers
    Martin Logan Dynamo 700w

Connections
    Wireworld Aurora 7 power cables for Marantz amp and DAC
    DAC to amp and AVR to amp via Signal Cable Analog Two ICs
    Amp to main speakers via Wireworld Mini Eclipse 7
    Amp to subwoofer via AudioQuest Black Lab for 2-channel, wireless for HT
    Squeezebox Touch to DAC via Signal Cable Silver Resolution Digital Coax
    Center channel connected with economy speaker cable from Amazon
    Surrounds connected with standard in-wall 14 gauge cable (not gonna change)

Home theater sources
    DirecTV
    Roku 3
    Intel NUC 7i5BNH
  • mdaudioguy
    If you want a system that does it all, cable management will be a challenge. I'm not yet sure how to deal with this mess of power cables, speaker cables, interconnects, and Ethernet cables...

Anyhow, I really like where things have gone with the Wireworld power cables and speakers cables. Glad I made that investment. If I upgrade any more power cables, I guess it would be the subwoofer PC. The stock cable looks fairly basic and smallish. I really don't care about the HT PCs.

2-channel ICs and a digital coaxial cable will be likely be the next, and close to final, upgrades. Gotta be Wireworld at this point. Oh yeah, and even though HT is not really a priority, I'd like to upgrade that center channel speaker cable.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    What length cable you need for the center? I had Doug make a custom cable for me, but I no longer have an HT. It's bi-wire on both ends (but I didn't use the amp end bi-wired), but it's pretty short...maybe .5m. Shoot me a pm if you'd like more info. I'd let it go fairly cheap to a good member since it's just sitting in my closet. Actually have a great center and surrounds that I need to list for sale.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mdaudioguy
    edited November 2018
    @PSOVLSK Gotta love this place! Post a need and someone offers to help. You see it all the time. :)
    That cable sounds good, except for the bi-wire part. I'm going to hold off for the moment, since my center is not bi-wireable. Of course, @DSkip talked me into some bi-wire cables for my mains (same posts), but the Wireworld ends are interchangeable and we did bananas/spades on the bi-wire speaker end, and the amp end has just a single pair of spades. I'd prefer to make this connection simpler.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Yeah, I had it custom made along with a pair for the front speakers. I shouldn't have gotten the center cable bi-wired, at least not on the amp end. Not one of my better decisions, but luckily I was able to make it work. I really hate that I no longer have an HT in which to use the cable. First time in about 20 years I haven't had an HT with a center and surround sound. I miss it.

Great looking system(s) you've put together. Best of both worlds!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mdaudioguy
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Great looking system(s) you've put together. Best of both worlds!
    Thanks! It's really coming together nicely. I've heard better, but not in my own home. :)
  • mdaudioguy
    DSkip wrote: »
    Found it quick. It’s 6’ with bananas all around.

Shouldn't I have asked you about this a week or two ago?? :p