Slip seat box

phuckineh
phuckineh Posts: 2
edited December 2004 in Custom Fabrication
Yeah, I wish it were a Volvo 770, but I'd settle for a Pete with a cat or series 60 detroit in it, anything but a cummins! Presently I'm in a Freight-shaker condo and had planed to put together a box to put on the top bunk back in the sleeper.
Anyway, the idea I had was to put a box together that had both subs at each end enclosed in they're own sub boxes but still attached to the main box, where the stereo and amp would be mounted. That way, I can use the remote while I'm jammin gears flying thru the night to use whatever component I want at that time (i.e. stereo vs. cd player) The cb I guess will remain in its usual place with me up front.
The main problem I'm going to encounter is powering everything. The co. won't allow anything to be directly wired to the batteries (fearing an electrical component to get fried) but, I do have a multitude of cigarette lighter outlets back in the bunk to use. However, I'm afraid using those are going to cause trouble in noise interference, cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.
Later,
P.
Post edited by phuckineh on

Comments

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited December 2004
    heck with your situation i'd say pick up a nice boombox or a HT reciever and some speakers and plug a power inverter or two into the cig outlets in the back for your power... other wise you're gonna have to ghetto-rig something that'll probably not work the best...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    Yeah, I agree. What youre describing probably wouldnt work all that well not to mention not sounding all that good.

On top of that youd never be able to power it properly not having access to the battery.

There is really no good way to put a decent system in a truck if youre going to be slip seating frequently.

If youre going to be in it for a year or so it might be worth it to upgrade to a better head unit. Circuit City could install it for ya pretty easy. I see tractors out there all the time. This would give you about 100 times better sound due to a substantial increase in power. Then when you get word youre going to get a new tractor, it wouldnt be that hard to take the new one out and stick the old one back in.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited December 2004
    pardon my ignorance but what is 'slip seating'??
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    When you work with an over the road trucking company (long haul) most of them assign you a truck and its yours for as long as youre with the company or as long as its safe to operate. You can keep one for a year or more. It soon becomes your home.

Slip seating is when a company will assign you a truck but just for a short while like a few days or weeks. Youll drive it for a short time then pick up another tractor and then drive it for a few days or weeks then youre on to another one.

Needless to say, slip seating sucks!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D