SDA 2B - Should I replace a woofer?

windstriker
windstriker Posts: 136
edited November 2018 in Vintage Speakers
I have some 2bs. There is a small pin head sized hole on one of surrounds of a woofer. Is this causing issues(sounds fine to me)? Would it be worth replacing the woofer?
Post edited by windstriker on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Any air leak is a problem, so replace the driver.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Does polk sell the exact driver? Can I just replace one or will it be like going from the sl2000 to the rdo-194 where you have to replace both tweeters?
  • F1nut
    They sell the same model, in your case that's either a MW6503 or MW6511, but they look a little different.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thank You for the advice.
    I got these speakers a few months back and I really love them(they are my first true hifi speakers). I never knew what I was missing before I got them. I would like to restore them to peak condition as money permits. I have already installed the 194 tweeters. I am currently trying decide whether to break down and get the 198s when I recap them.( i realize that requires modification)
  • F1nut
    Upgrading them to TL's using the RD0198 tweeters is well worth the time and money.

If you want an exact cosmetic match figure out which model driver you need then check eBay.

President of Club Polk

• One last question(atm). Is Larry doing rings at the moment? From what I can tell the answer is no? If not ill do hurricane nuts.
  • F1nut
    No, if he was he'd have them listed as available here.

President of Club Polk