Original Klipsch RF-7's?

2»

Comments

• adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    audioluvr wrote: »
    As for my Forte's, even after all the upgrades I did. I can't listen to them long as the mid-horn is just too obnoxious.

Did you also install Ti diaphragms on the Forte mid and high freq drivers, or are they the stock polymer diaphragms?

I also find that the Forte (I) can be a bit mid-forward at higher volume with some material. I'm using the stock diaphragms and Dayton Precision caps.

Interestingly, per Julian Hirsch's review/test of the Forte (1) in '86, they have one of the widest and smoothest frequency responses he ever measured, and one of lowest distortion and highest sensitivity too. In short, a very well-engineered speaker, based on his measurements.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited November 2018

adam2434 wrote: »

Interestingly, per Julian Hirsch's review/test of the Forte (1) in '86, they have one of the widest and smoothest frequency responses he ever measured, and one of lowest distortion and highest sensitivity too. In short, a very well-engineered speaker, based on his measurements.

Trust your ears not what is wrote on paper. Over the years i have found many pieces of audio gear that test close to theoretical perfect on paper sounded like poo in real life. When you put cold and sterile gear in front of it, it just compounds the problem
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Trust your ears not what is wrote on paper. Over the years i have found many pieces of audio gear that test close to theoretical perfect on paper sounded like poo in real life. When you put cold and sterile gear in front of it, it just compounds the problem

Oh, I agree and believe that measurements only tell part of the story. One's personal taste and ears, as well as the room are big factors.

But for speakers, I would view a flatter in-room frequency response and low distortion as more desirable than a peaky response with higher distortion.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2018
    Distortion in loudspeakers is an interesting topic. Many folks don't realize that essentially all loudspeakers have at least (!) a couple of orders of magnitude more harmonic distortion than do amplifiers. Much of that is in the form of low frequency doubling, but it's true across the audio bandwidth.

To his credit, Col. Klipsch did understand that. He also understood, or at least believed, that other forms of distortion played an important role in the 'realism' of loudspeaker reproduction of music.

In terms of keeping levels of harmonic distortion low, Klipsch's strategy was to use drivers with very little diaphragm excursion. The only way to do that, and still have high output, was to horn load, which of course is what he did.

Klipsch was also a big proponent of minimizing Doppler distortion. Y'all know the Doppler effect -- the frequency of a moving sound source changes (as in the change in pitch of a whistle heard from a passing train). In Klipsch's point of view, any cone driver reproducing frequencies of significantly different wavelengths is subject to Doppler distortion -- the shorter wavelength frequency is riding, like the train whistle on a moving train, on (and affected by) the longer wavelength frequency. This was Klipsch's reasoning for three-way loudspeakers when the standard was still two (or even one).

As a long-time owner of Klipsch loudspeakers (and many others, some of diametrically opposite design philosophy to the Col's), I would just say that the "truth" is in the ears (neurophysiological auditory processing system!) of the beholder. :)

ih4xahwas7vv.png
    igc06amekzft.png

PS FWIW, I espy a McIntosh C8 preamplifier and an HH Scott integrated amplifier (not sure which one, probably a 299) behind the Col. in the photo of him with the see-through K-horn :) The Col. did have fine taste in electronics :)

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    adam2434 wrote: »
    Did you also install Ti diaphragms on the Forte mid and high freq drivers, or are they the stock polymer diaphragms?

I also find that the Forte (I) can be a bit mid-forward at higher volume with some material. I'm using the stock diaphragms and Dayton Precision caps.

Bob Crites custom built my crossovers using all new components and Sonicaps. As far as I know the only upgrade for the mid- horn is the A-55G driver. I never upgraded my tweeter diaphragms even though I have them. The stock tweeters sound is quite smooth and pleasing to me after a crossover upgrade. If it wasn't for the cost of the A-55G's I would have installed them by now.

I used the D. A. Precision's in my SDA 2.3's and REALLY like how they sounded after break in though I think it took a lot longer for those to break in than Sonicaps.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    The Scott amps were pretty good sounding and (by and large) very beautiful. Plus, they hailed from Maynard, MA.

Coupla-three HH Scott pieces gatherin' dust here - even a few of their early, US made, soiled state pieces.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2018
    Oh, back - sort of - on topic: speaking of amplifiers, PWK is widely reputed to have 'voiced' his Heritage loudspeakers using Brook push-pull 2A3 amplifiers. A bit more powerful, of course, than a single tube, single-ended 2A3 amp, but near legendary for their sound quality.

12276345056_2fd8632dd5_b.jpgScan_Pic0016 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (yeah, the ad's for their preamplifier, but it's hooked to one of their amps in the photo!)

4j1xjondcfm0.png
    505bhoz2wn5z.png

http://www.ampslab.com/vintage_brook12a.htm
    http://www.itishifi.com/2009/12/brook-12a-and-pwk-mod-12a3ki.html

Full disclosure :)

r8n902fqc9g5.png
    https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-9312-1381933954699.jpg

EDIT:

PS Col. Klipsch was famed for his bon mots. This is (IMO, of course), one of his best:
    "What this country needs is a really good five-watt amplifier."
    https://www.stereophile.com/news/11338/index.html

for more Klipsch wit & wisdom, see:
    https://www.klipsch.com/quotes-anecdotes

l6few3rq3dy0.png