Good powered subwoofers to pair with original sda srs

I want to get a pair of powered subs to pair up with my sda's. Is there any decent subs that will pair good with these that won't break the bank? I found a couple cerwin Vega 15s that look decent and affordable. I might be over thinking this but better to be safe than sorry.

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I use a single 18'' definitive technology sub with my 1.2tl's with good results. I had 2 of them but I like a single one better. I run the Polks full range and use the sub on it's 40hz setting and about 1/4 volume on it's internal amp to add just a little bit on the bottom end
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »

At over 5 grand this one is not in my budget hahah. As I was looking through some subs and realizing a decent set is going to cost me more than I want to spend, I'm thinking of going with a passive set of subs. I have a crown ps 400 that can pump out some decent power that is doing nothing. Any suggestions on passive subs? And also that cost no where near that much. Also I'm wondering if a 18" sub can keep up speed wise? I mean at 5700 bucks it better do more than that hahaha. But again I'm not planning on spending anywhere near that.
  • DSkip wrote: »
    Are you powering the srs properly?

Yes the srs make plenty of bass, but I have some nulls in my room I'm trying to take care of. I'm hoping some properly positioned subs will help.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    F1nut wrote: »

At over 5 grand this one is not in my budget hahah. As I was looking through some subs and realizing a decent set is going to cost me more than I want to spend, I'm thinking of going with a passive set of subs. I have a crown ps 400 that can pump out some decent power that is doing nothing. Any suggestions on passive subs? And also that cost no where near that much. Also I'm wondering if a 18" sub can keep up speed wise? I mean at 5700 bucks it better do more than that hahaha. But again I'm not planning on spending anywhere near that.

That sub is faster than your speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

That sub is faster than your speakers.

For that price it better be faster than my car ahhaahah
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited November 2018
    Are you using any acoustic treatment such as bass traps? IMO that is the first step before adding subs.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer wrote: »
    Are you using any acoustic treatment such as bass traps? IMO that is the first step before adding subs.

I have some acoustic treatment but not really bass traps. To really be effective they have to be pretty big it seems and I don't know if I have room for them. I most likely have room on the wall the speakers are on but definetly don't have room in the back corners.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Hi,

I use SVS SB12-NSD with my SDA-1C but also check Rythmik Audio I have the F25 for HT work and is great.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    SCompRacer wrote: »

Agreed 100%. I have always thrown more subs at a bass problem. After installing 6 bass traps in the room the bass has never sounded this good. Mush more accurate, tight and musical. It made all the diff in the world. d1ut8zz06e17.jpg
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited November 2018
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I have some acoustic treatment but not really bass traps. To really be effective they have to be pretty big it seems and I don't know if I have room for them. I most likely have room on the wall the speakers are on but definetly don't have room in the back corners.

That don't have to be that big to work. I have 4 on the front corners and 2 in the rear.

I have Auralex LENRD Bass Traps. ZZSOUNDS will beat any price you find. They price matched their 4 part set for $169.00. I dont remember where I found the 169 price.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    This is the company you want to look at if you want musical bass performance. http://www.jlaudio.ca/home-audio-powered-subwoofers-e-sub
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited November 2018
    Your bass will build up in the corners, any chance you can get something into the corner but not protruding into the room, basically rounding off just the corner.

You could get yourself into a situation that adding more bass could mask more of your midbass/ midrange creating even more problems.

• gmcman wrote: »
    Your bass will build up in the corners, any chance you can get something into the corner but not protruding into the room, basically rounding off just the corner.

You could get yourself into a situation that adding more bass could mask more of your midbass/ midrange creating even more problems.

I decided to build to big bass traps for the front corners ceiling to floor, and then see where I stand. I hope it helps.
  • So I plan on making 2 super chunk style bass traps for the corners on the sides of my sda's. The speakers are at least the minimum distance from the wall they should be (3feet I think they call for) but the bass traps will be taking up some of that space. Will this mess with imaging or wreak havoc on the sda? I don't think it will but I'm also good at over thinking things. Any thoughts?
  • motorstereo
    FWIW It didn't change anything when I added floor to ceiling corner traps behind my sda's.
  • FWIW It didn't change anything when I added floor to ceiling corner traps behind my sda's.

Awsome.
  • I went on the corners of my listening space. Made a huge difference...by bass traps I mean thick pillows hahaha.

Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Hope my wife doesn't see this and wonder where the couch pillows went. :s
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    The Cerwin Vega powered 15" is large in size and in output. It plays very lows and makes the house next to you buzz and rattle in movies like Predator and Top Gun. For music though I like their 12" version a little better. It's not as boomy and has more detail. I own both and have spent quite a bit of time with each of them. Not just repeating what someone said a year ago that probably had zero experience in the first place.
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    HSU.com...
    You'll find plenty of subs that will meet your needs, wants and desires...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    BMF35 wrote: »
    The Cerwin Vega powered 15" is large in size and in output. It plays very lows and makes the house next to you buzz and rattle in movies like Predator and Top Gun. For music though I like their 12" version a little better. It's not as boomy and has more detail. I own both and have spent quite a bit of time with each of them. Not just repeating what someone said a year ago that probably had zero experience in the first place.

I like you have both Cerwin Vega CVT 300 and 200 15" and 12" respectively
    BUT they are no where close to anything from SVS or HSU. Cannot even get near their lows at all.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I use a single 18'' definitive technology sub with my 1.2tl's with good results. I had 2 of them but I like a single one better. I run the Polks full range and use the sub on it's 40hz setting and about 1/4 volume on it's internal amp to add just a little bit on the bottom end

I just caught this. I must be still on my journey, but my SRS's (non TL) produce outstanding bass, IMO of course.

If you don't mind, post a pic of your setup! Curious here. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    verb wrote: »

I just caught this. I must be still on my journey, but my SRS's (non TL) produce outstanding bass, IMO of course.

If you don't mind, post a pic of your setup! Curious here. :smile:

Sure; 2nd post down. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182916/showcase-your-setups/p6
    I've since taken the Mitsu meter-switch box off the sub. Now I can barely go over 1/8 volume on the Def tech's internal amp or the bass will overpower the 1.2's output.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Awesome setup! Wow! Thanks for sharing that. Again!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    BUT they are no where close to anything from SVS or HSU. Cannot even get near their lows at all.[/quote]

The OP specifically mentioned the CV 15" and I do have some direct experience with one to share. I have a few other powered subs as well but didn't mention them since he was asking about CV.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited December 2018
    Haven't commented yet, but thought I would offer a couple cents worth here. I find that the big Polks lack nothing in the bass department, however, using a subwoofer to reinforce what is already there has been beneficial for movie soundtracks. It also helps out a touch with two channel listening, but the tuning of the sub to the big Polks must be done with care so as to not become too boomy. Ideally, you should not be able to tell it's even on unless you turn it off. Anything else just becomes a muddy, unlistenable mess.

I run a single REL S5 on a Longbow wireless connection and use both the high level and LFE connections. It works very well for me and helps to relieve some of the high-energy demands movie watching can place on the old girls.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    edited December 2018
    I want to get a pair of powered subs to pair up with my sda's. Is there any decent subs that will pair good with these that won't break the bank? I found a couple cerwin Vega 15s that look decent and affordable. I might be over thinking this but better to be safe than sorry.

What's your budget?
    What will you be using them for? Ht% music%
    What size is your room... is it open to another room?
    All this will help to guide you to the subs that will best fit your needs..
    Post edited by ddog on
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited December 2018
    pitdogg2" wrote:
    BUT they are no where close to anything from SVS or HSU. Cannot even get near their lows at all.
    BMF35 wrote: »

The OP specifically mentioned the CV 15" and I do have some direct experience with one to share. I have a few other powered subs as well but didn't mention them since he was asking about CV.

Feel free to share. CV's 15" subwoofers start dropping like a rock at about 35hz and below.
    SVS and HSU go down to 20hz before they really start to drop. That's a huge difference. To be fair your room plays a big part as well.
    I found nothing wrong with either of my CVT subs they worked very well for my home theater. The motors of CV drivers are puny compared to folks who do nothing but subs.
    I also had other CV subs before the CVT series and even now they most recent subs are -10db at about 30hz.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Cerwin Vega is a college dorm frat house sub... Different design purposes...

In that space, CV is hard to beat...

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Have you upgraded the crossovers in your SDAs yet? If not, start there for much improved bass performance. If that isn't sufficient then look at adding a sub. A single sub from SVS, Hsu, etc. will be far superior to dual Cerwin Vegas. Like @nooshinjohn mentioned, the goal is for the subs to politely blend with the SDAs but they should not be drawing your attention away from the music. With my SDAs fully modded and much credit to the Pass Labs pre, I rarely desire to have the subs on when listening to music.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050