So... Flikr is following in Photobucket's egregiously slimy footsteps.

7yqhnngh358f.png

Jerks.

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Well, at least they are giving you time to download your stuff to a hard drive or another service.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Also, any account under 1000 pics/vids is still free. Pug pics aside, I think most members here would be safe for quite a while.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Also, any account under 1000 pics/vids is still free. Pug pics aside, I think most members here would be safe for quite a while.

Whhhaaaaaaattttt???????

needlic237t5.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Well, at least they are giving you time to download your stuff to a hard drive or another service.

Yup, they do get credit for that vis-a-vis Photobucket.
    FestYboy wrote: »

Flikr kindly pointed out to me that I have 4878 photos uploaded.
  • After Photosuckit's phenomenal success with their 2017 Big Ransom Demand, I expected other free photo hosting sites to emulate and imitate. I hope this doesn't backfire and Flikr ends up getting flicked.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • I hope this doesn't backfire and Flikr ends up getting flicked.

I saw what you did there. Take the rest of the day off with pay. :o
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    I am feeling a little more philosophical about this today -- at least Flikr didn't just take their users' content hostage overnight, literally (at least as I remember it) without warning, as did... them other guys. :|
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I keep all my stuff at home and away from the internet or cloud. Everything is backed up and protected, and the really important stuff is printed and hanging on the wall or in a photo album. No third party needed.

Still trying to figure out why someone would expect anyone to offer such services for free anyway. Nothing is ever really free.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2018
    Do you pay to use Google for searches? Or do you have a gmail account, and, if so, do you pay for it?

Of course it's not free -- the end user is the product being marketed (in this case, by Flikr)... as with Google.

As they say, "if you cannot tell what the product is that a website is selling, the product is you."

The Devil's bargain that is the internet.

I don't keep anything on a third party site. There are duplicate sets of backups of all of my "photos" (images of whatever kind - mostly photos, scans and captured images) on HDDs here... but it is very handy to use a photo hosting service to post an image easily (instantly -- coupla keystrokes) online ... and also to offer those images as a resource to a community.

E.g., while we are fortunate to have www.alliedcatalogs.com and www.radioshackcatalogs.com as resources (and the marvelous but Byzantine www.americanradiohistory.com), there's no similar site for, e.g., Lafayette Radio Electronics or even Heathkit (although there is a fellow working on a Heathkit catalog site).

I have "albums" on Flikr of scans made ad lib. from Heathkit and LRE catalogs, as well as most of a Gordon Miller Music catalog and a High Fidelity Warehouse catalog from the 1970s. I'd like to think these are useful, or at least interesting, to a few folks in the whole world. I think it's extra nice to make them available with no cost to me or another 'user'.

23902582288_9ec5f5f92b_k.jpgHeathkit 1964 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

16326020179_ab600cc042_h.jpgScan0025 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

12015397575_5e1f5a7b8b_b.jpgGMMcatalog by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

10272876835_d361781fbf_b.jpgwarehousesound by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I also host photos for our church, as any visitor to my Flikr acc't will easily notice.

I may well bite the bullet & go "pro" @ Flikr; it was just so nice to have had, for many years, so much bandwidth -- yes -- for free (since I ignored their
    ads). Flikr was much less obtrusive than Photobucket in the kind of junk they allowed on their site, too.

But apparently the economics didn't work out for them (having been, transiently, owned by Yahoo probably didn't help!).
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Funny how when the economy is humming the economics isn’t working for these sites. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Funny how when the economy is humming the economics isn’t working for these sites. :)

A very interesting point, that. They were doin' fine a decade ago.
    Hmm... maybe it's because folks are back to work rather than watching cat videos.
  • ^^^ I believe that you may expect a visit from representatives for "Icanhas.cheezburger.com" in the near future.
    It's for the best.
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    To Flikr's credit, their terms (at least currently) for the changeover seem pretty reasonable.
    *Free members with more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over the limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit.
    source: https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead