PSW10 Auto Mode Not Working

slate
slate Posts: 4
edited June 2013 in Troubleshooting
Hello,

I have a PSW10 subwoofer hooked up to a Yamaha RX-A720. The subwoofer is connected to the receiver subwoofer output via an RCA cable. The RCA cable is connected to the L channel input of the subwoofer. Subwoofer crossover is turned all the way up and the receiver is set up for a subwoofer.

It appears that when the subwoofer is set to auto mode, the mode never actually changes. If I turn the subwoofer switch to on, then back to auto, the light stays green. If I turn it off and back to auto, it stays red. I am using my receiver's test tone output to check, and the subwoofer only makes noise when the light is green. I have turned my receiver volume up pretty high and the subwoofer never turns from red to green when it is in auto mode. If I trick the subwoofer to stay on by turning it on, then to auto, then I turn off my receiver, the light stays green. This is certainly not working as intended. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Post edited by slate on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2013
    Hello slate,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. Keep in mind the "auto on/off" selector is a three-way switch and I believe the middle position is the "auto" choice. Also it is possible that if there's is even a low level signal coming into the sub it will fool the auto function into remaining on. Try removing the sub-cable from the sub and setting the selector in the middle position and wait at least 15 minutes for the auto function to happen.
    If it's still not working telephone Polk's CS department at: 1-800-377-7655 or send them an email to: polkcs@polkaudio.com.
    Regards, Ken
  • slate
    edited June 2013
    Hello, thanks for the advice. I checked and I am 90% sure (mind was a little fuzzy this am) that the system does turn off eventually when I leave it in Auto mode. However, it does not appear to turn on when I send it a test tone from my receiver. Any advice on that?
    Thank you!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2013
    Hello,
    No problem, glad to help. By "test tone" I'm assuming you're referring to the receiver's calibration system, correct? Is this the auto-calibration system? How about during normal listening, say while playing a DVD or CD?
    Ken
  • slate
    edited June 2013
    Hi Ken,
    In my receiver settings it is possible to go into a mode where the system outputs noise to each speaker, one at a time. It appears that this noise can be heard when I manually get the subwoofer to turn on, but the noise is not enough to trigger the subwoofer to turn on when it is in "auto" mode and is off. When I say "on" I mean "the light turns green. When I turn the subwoofer on manually, I hear the test tone come out of it in turn.

I tried playing some bass heavy tracks over my system. I have found that when I turn my volume up as loud as I dare (I'm in an apartment), nothing is loud enough to trigger the system on when it is in "auto" mode. However, my receiver has an option called "bass boost" and when I turn that on the subwoofer turns on. So I guess the bass signal coming out of my receiver just isn't strong enough to trigger the subwoofer to turn on.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2013
    Hi slate,
    There can be some variability in the amplifier's input trigger sensitivity and your's might be on the high side. It might be a good idea to consider working with Polk's CS guys to get the bass amplifier exchanged. It's a pretty simple process, just call, on Monday, to 1-800-377-7655 or via email to: polkcs@polkaudio.com. Whatever the cause, they'll help you out.
    Cheers, Ken
  • slate
    edited June 2013
    Thank you very much Ken, I will contact them shortly.
  • i am having the same problem as the 'slate' in the original post but i don't get any bass from the sub no matter how high i turn up the volume. if i turn the volume up on the psw10 i can hear the treble from the movie(i.e. voices and commentary) but no bass. i checked the fuse on the back panel and it appears to be fine. any thoughts?
  • Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. It could be a problem with either the woofer itself or the bass amplifier that drives it. Give Polk's CS department a call at: 1-800-377-7655 (not sure if they're working today or not) or send them an email to: polkcs@polkaudio.com.
    They'll help you determine which part of the sub is responsible and work with you to replace/repair what's necessary.
    Regards, Ken
  • same problem with my PSW 10, noticed no bass the other night, double checked the connections, all the other speakers working fine just a slight hum from the sub
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    My PSW10 does the same thing. I just leave it in the ON position.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601