Is it worth upgrading from Polk monitor 60 series 2 , to the Rti A5

I'm wanting more of a punch for my movie time in my theater. My current setup is
Denon avr s920w
Fronts- monitor 60s
Center- csi1
Rears- monitor 40s
Sub - 2 psw505s

I know Polk deals will be everywhere in the next few weeks and I've been eyeballing the Rti a5 with a csi a6 center. I'm not looking at the Rti a7 because I don't want to upgrade my avr.
So what I'm getting to will it be worth going this route. I use this mainly for movies and I do game often as well. I'm looking for a nice punch to my system that I feel is taking.

Answers

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Yes, it's worth it, especially the bigger center, but that receiver, as already stated isn't doing you any favors either. Maybe budget for a new one down the road.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    RTi/RTiA are great for movies, I'd say go for it. Then there is a "but". For music they are on the bright side. If you're going to listen to any music or think you might in the future I'd lean more to the Signature line.

Yes your AVR is not doing you any favors. Get a more upper end Denon Marantz or Yamaha with pre-outs so you can add an amp later. If you have a Fry's near they have been clearing out the Denon AVR's (I got my 4400 for $800).

Power and current, more you have better the punch will be.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    I upgraded from Monitor 60 Series II to S55's and a S30 and noticed a big difference. I had a Yamaha Advantage 720 at the time. They sound even better now with the 2070 that replaced my 720. I had a CSII with my Monitor 60's btw.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. I just bought these monitor speakers last year which I upgraded from the Polk tl3 Blackstone series because I moved and now have a dedicated theater room which is 24 x 17. I know my avr has pre outs and I could get some power amps. To drive bigger speakers . I don't really crank it up hard on my avr tops at -65 on the volume. I'm just nervous if I do go for the Rti series I'll be disappointed because of only being able to push 95w per channel. I also haven't thought about going with the newer signature series because I would need to get new rears if I did. I guess it's an option but am picky on having everything match in my systems.
  • I take it back about having pre outs. I was thinking if my old Denon 3808 ci
  • Yeah I reposted I was thinking of my last avr. Which ishould have kept but I wanted 4k with Dolby Atmos. I probably should have just kept the 3808.
  • So I will be able to obtain more of the punch that I am looking for with a more powerful amp with my current setup vs buying the Rti series ?
  • I do like that amp and have looked at it for some time. However. It is very difficult for me to persuade my other half on the money I spend on my electronics. I have already successfully done so with new speakers as I will move these to a different room with a back up amp. So I figured the rtis would be the way to go for me with what I have. I guess I was wrong on thinking I could move to the Rti line with my current amp.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    The Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A830 in the FS section here would be worth considering.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    polk4liffe wrote: »
    I do like that amp and have looked at it for some time. However. It is very difficult for me to persuade my other half on the money I spend on my electronics. I have already successfully done so with new speakers as I will move these to a different room with a back up amp. So I figured the rtis would be the way to go for me with what I have. I guess I was wrong on thinking I could move to the Rti line with my current amp.

The thing is, in audio.....everything matters in the chain. The speakers matter obviously, but so does the power they get, the cables you use, the subwoofer, source material, and the room they are in.

To get more punch, the RTI line is the better series than the Monitor line. The power could use a boost too over what you have also. The center channel needs to be bigger, the subs, better. Those 505's are just OK. Look at SVS, HSU for subs with punch.

Convincing the other half is always going to be a challenge. Make mental notes when she comes home with a new purse or new shoes. Clothes are a womans hobby, audio and cars is a mans.

Also, keep an eye on the used markets for some of this stuff. You can get like new gear for half the price of retail if you look hard enough.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Where are you located P4L?
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music