Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »

IIRC, didn't Toto acuire Jaguar?

NO!!!!

d2p2vvyqtt19.jpg
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Ah TATA, sorry must've had Wizard of Oz on my mind! :blush:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64

4mb7zzni5t2p.jpg
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »

4mb7zzni5t2p.jpg

You read my mind? Uncanny Jimmy! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited October 2018
    I think the biggest problem with cars vs. SUV/trucks is that the big three keep building ugly cars nobody wants to rent, much less admit they own. This year alone, they will design dozens of concept cars that are incredible to look at and loaded with the latest gizmos.

d43ht8yyori6.jpg
    63ez1wxlyif0.jpg

Then two years later they will show up as either a Hyundai, Honda, or a Mercedes, while GM, Ford and Chrysler keep trotting out rehashed designs on platforms that are older than F1nut.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    And Jaguar wants to become the European Tesla.... I will NOT buy a 100k glorified golf cart.

They might not be for every person or every circumstance, but Telsas are not golf carts. Legit cars. Ever drive one? The one I drove was half that price, btw, and I'm still shaking my head from the experience.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850

We all do once in a while
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • nooshinjohn
    One of the biggest issues for these cars going forward to me, is where are they going to get the electricity from? Here in California, we already have rolling brown-outs from lack of supply because they haven’t built a new power plant here in decades, nor do they plan to do so any time soon. What will they do when 50 percent of the vehicles on the road need a charge?

Another is that electric cars are not as environmentally friendly as they appear. Many new cars are actually cleaner than their battery driven counterparts if you assign a CO2 value to the charging station. The power plant still produces CO2, even though the car itself does not. Another thing is what do we do with the batteries? The only thing on the planet harder to dispose of are the spent fuel rods from a nuclear reactor....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Idk, apparently you shoot them into space...

I don't know about the supply issue. Actually, I don't have any answers. But, I do know they're pretty decent cars.
  • verb
    I think the biggest problem with cars vs. SUV/trucks is that the big three keep building ugly cars nobody wants to rent, much less admit they own. This year alone, they will design dozens of concept cars that are incredible to look at and loaded with the latest gizmos.

d43ht8yyori6.jpg
    63ez1wxlyif0.jpg

Then two years later they will show up as either a Hyundai, Honda, or a Mercedes, while GM, Ford and Chrysler keep trotting out rehashed designs on platforms that are older than F1nut.

Love the Buick and Caddy!
  • verb
    But the bottom caption kinda hurt! :smile:
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2018
    I would rather buy a Buick over the Jag, but they jumped the shark when the Riviera became a gussied up Somerset, and the rear wheel drive Regal got axed. Cadillac has yet to recover from the Cimmaron, and the ubiquitous HT4100...

• verb
    Yep I hear ya. RWD, manual trans, V8 power, etc., most folks don’t care about them anymore. They want fuel economy. Most folks nowadays can’t handle a RWD car, or manual tranny. We average less than 10% volume on those features if offered in a model. Sports cars excluded. Hard to justify a business case for those low volumes.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2018
    It doesn't make sense to design a car knowing well in advance that what you are building is doomed to fail because it is ugly as Russ' hairy backside and as reliable as PFB shipping.

The two cars I posted above would have people at least take the time to go to the showroom and look. Give that Buick a detuned version of the supercharged Z06 mill, and price it 12k below a BMW 6 series coupe, and you would find there would be takers for the car if the interior trim were up to snuff. Let Cadillac outsource the motor and get that V10 from VW/Audi, and price it starting at 50k... again, a person in the market for a S-class Benz would be foolish not to take a peek. The problem as I see it is that Ford and GM are waiving a surrender flag here on our own soil, rather than answering the challenge and building better cars.

Oh well, trucks are more profitable, so we will chase the buck... well guess what. Mercedes is building a pickup for the US market, and so will Hyundai. It won't be long before GM, Ford and Chrysler loose their profit margins on those as well. Maybe they can sell vehicles through Sears.

• Viking64
    HT4100
    PEE-OH-ESS!!! Who needs their oil to drain back into the crankcase from the rockers? Let's just fill those galleries with JB Weld and keep that precious oil up under the valve covers where it can do so much more good! :s

And let's not forget the magical 8-6-4. Who says we have to master a technology before we implement it? :|

• nooshinjohn
    I had a V8-6-4 in an '81 Eldorado Biarritz, white over red leather. I drove that car over 300,000 miles and never had the slightest issue with that engine, but I did rebuild the tranny twice. I still miss that car.

• Viking64
    manual tranny.

He still identifies as "Manuel", thankyouverymuch!

jd4ts1mprdzw.jpg
  • Viking64
    I had a V8-6-4 in an '81 Eldorado Biarritz, white over red leather. I drove that car over 300,000 miles and never had the slightest issue with that engine, but I did rebuild the tranny twice. I still miss that car.

You're lucky. I've heard horror stories about those valve solenoid doohickeys losing power and the valves not being where they are supposed to be at TDC. :p

I had an '85 El Dorado. Silver, gray leather, and a black Martin Landau top. Obviously it was gutless compared to my brother's 70s 500c.i. Eldos, but that thing was a rust-free, low mileage, one owner creampuff when I bought it at a dealer auction.

When I first started seeing those cars circa 1981, I remember thinking they were the cutest, tiniest Cadillacs I had ever seen (save for the aforementioned Citation-based abomination). By the late 80s/early 90s, they were considered boats. HAHAHAHA
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2018
    From this...
    im2oj0usyayy.jpg
    zd9kebar5wlr.jpg

To this...
    2i3ccjhecn1d.jpg
    67oeew1dqvzx.jpg
    even a factory photo of the Riviera couldn't make this tuurd look good.

In 1985 GM built some 275,000 "E" body cars across three makes (Eldorado,Toronado,Riviera)… In 1986, than number dropped to less than 70,000, and continued to drop until the Riviera and Toronado were dropped in 1993. But GM didn't stop there. They did this very same thing to every car in their lineup. soon Cadillac/Buick customers were driving Mercedes and BMW, and Chevy/Pontiac/Oldsmobile owners went to Toyota, Honda and Nissan.

GM's failure to build a decent car in more than 40 years is why they are focusing on trucks.
    It is interesting to note that the lead designer for GM during this time, after the commitment was made for every GM vehicle to go FWD, and much smaller than ever is the very same guy that went on to become design lead for Lexus....
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    After gas goes to $5/gallon, or more, there will be lots of SUVs, trucks for sale. Small cars will be scarce, and fetch a good price. A car is too convenient a tool to disappear, but maybe used less.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    I was in the bay area, in a junkyard somewhere across the San Mateo Bridge, and they had this gorgeous mid-80s Biarritz that was some sort of special edition with which I was unfamiliar. White on white, chrome everywhere, just a little tasteful touch of gold. Not overdone like most gold packages.

And they were asking some ridiculously low (to me, at least) amount, like $1600 or something. I was living in Vermont at the time, and I wanted to drive it home. I could have gotten 4K for that baby in Vermont easily, but I didn't even want to sell it.

Sadly, I had other commitments on that trip and it was not to be. :'(
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Viking64 wrote: »

You're lucky. I've heard horror stories about those valve solenoid doohickeys losing power and the valves not being where they are supposed to be at TDC. :p

I had an '85 El Dorado. Silver, gray leather, and a black Martin Landau top. Obviously it was gutless compared to my brother's 70s 500c.i. Eldos, but that thing was a rust-free, low mileage, one owner creampuff when I bought it at a dealer auction.

When I first started seeing those cars circa 1981, I remember thinking they were the cutest, tiniest Cadillacs I had ever seen (save for the aforementioned Citation-based abomination). By the late 80s/early 90s, they were considered boats. HAHAHAHA

Cute, Tiny and Cadillac should never be in the same sentence...

r8cdsq2gt7dh.jpg
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • verb
    One of my faves! 59 Cadillac!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    BlueFox wrote: »
    After gas goes to $5/gallon, or more, there will be lots of SUVs, trucks for sale. Small cars will be scarce, and fetch a good price. A car is too convenient a tool to disappear, but maybe used less.

We (American auto buyers) keep ridin' that same danged roller coaster. :(
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2018
    One of my faves! 59 Cadillac!

We had a '58 -- white, 4 door hardtop (no B pillar), at least as I remember it. A true whale of a car. Gas cap hidden behind one of the taillight bezels.

I don't think I have any photos of it, though. It was a hand me down from my grandfather to my parents, in the mid-70s, and they didn't keep it long. The Energy Crisis was a substantial part of the reason :|
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Cars disappearing.....used less ??

Maybe some wish it, but not likely in a country our size. A car represents freedom, not many are going to give that up no matter what it cost or gas prices. We aren't Europe, small countries with excellent train systems.

If US car makers pull out of making cars, someone else will step in to fill the void. Toyota and Honda cut their teeth on the small economy class cars. Now you have Hyundai and Kia also.

Trucks and SUV's are selling because of their versatility, replacing the old station wagon and mini vans. People will sacrifice other areas of their life to retain that freedom, much in the same way they do for their Iphones.

I would maybe suggest, they are pulling out of the car business because of failed business models/stiff competition. Both have been known to kill a business from time to time. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    The Chinese are about to flood the American market with cheap cars.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    dromunds wrote: »
    The Chinese are about to flood the American market with cheap cars.

Yeah, ones that only turn left and brakes for one tire only. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009

Cute, Tiny and Cadillac should never be in the same sentence...

r8cdsq2gt7dh.jpg
    [/quote]

That there is a work of ART. <3

A true "Land Yacht". ;)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.