Ford and GM to reduce / cease car production

halo
halo Posts: 5,616
edited October 2018 in The Clubhouse
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Yes, we've stopped building cars with the exception of the Fusion and the Mustang. They will still build cars under the Lincoln badge, and, they have SUV's based off some of the small car platforms that they are developing.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited October 2018
    I think it's only for North America, which seems to be confirmed by the article.
    I think it is a shame, but the car companies will give Americans what they want, and they want "SUVs" and trucks. The fact that the car companies' profit margins are higher for trucks -- well, I am sure that's a coincidence. :)

I am sorry to see cars go.
    I am sorry to see manual transmissions go.

But -- we're on the verge of a sea change in transportation. The era of the single-owner automobile, driven by its owner (or a family member or friend thereof) will end before the end of my lifetime, I think. Cars will be "smart", safe, autonomous, technologically advanced -- and too expensive for virtually all Americans to afford. So, we'll hail 'em with our phones (or whatever) and they'll come and take us where we want - or need - to go.

The end of the era of the boomers will, I reckon, be the end of the era of the personal automobile.

Remember how the dinosaurs got really big -- just before the end came?
    Look at any modern trucks lately? Them suckas barely fit in a parking space, much less a garage. :|

ieuyal50r2qk.png

Oh -- Good morning and have a nice day!

;)

• mhardy6647
    edited October 2018
    On the other hand...

maybe the hipsters will bring back the Vista Cruiser.
    Cassette tape deck and all.

aeioxmjxvahd.png

Hey, they brought back Pabst Blue Ribbon and vinyls, so... it could happen.

:)

Imagine the streets of Brooklyn or Portland (OR or ME) parked full of Vista Cruisers and Roadmasters ;)

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    giphy.gif
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Wagon Queen Family Truckster in the National Lampoon movie is a 1979 Ford LTD Country Squire that has been modified by Warner Brothers, not by George Barris who did the Batmobile and other famous movie cars. For some reason George Barris gets credit for the Truckster but Gary Schneider did extensive research before building a Truckster himself and found out George Barris did not build the Griswold Family Truckster.
    Also the internet will have you believe that the last living Truckster is preserved in a car museum in Chicago. The car in that museum is not one from the National Lampoon movie, it is a replica made by someone for the car museum. The side mirrors are different; the wood grain and molding are different, and the back side of the car has not been finished. Only the side you see at the museum has the wood grain added.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Trucksters had best suspension in their class...

giphy.gif
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mhardy6647
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    Wagon Queen Family Truckster in the National Lampoon movie is a 1979 Ford LTD Country Squire that has been modified by Warner Brothers, not by George Barris who did the Batmobile and other famous movie cars. For some reason George Barris gets credit for the Truckster but Gary Schneider did extensive research before building a Truckster himself and found out George Barris did not build the Griswold Family Truckster.
    Also the internet will have you believe that the last living Truckster is preserved in a car museum in Chicago. The car in that museum is not one from the National Lampoon movie, it is a replica made by someone for the car museum. The side mirrors are different; the wood grain and molding are different, and the back side of the car has not been finished. Only the side you see at the museum has the wood grain added.

My worldview is forever changed. I must go into seclusion and ponder the significance of these revelations.

;)
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2018
    oh -- and lookin' for good photos of Vista Cruisers this morning's got me Jonesin' to track down and acquire a nice one, now. :p

... and that's exactly why I didn't even start lookin' at Roadmaster photos on Google. :|

PS Sorry for the goofy hijack of this thread. I do truly lament the disappearance of the car as we've known 'em for over a century. :(
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Dad had a Vista when I was a kid, loved that thing.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2018
    Good VC's are hard to come by, most you will find have rust in the pillars and around the skylight. I have been on the lookout for that special one, that has been in Grandpa's garage for the last 50 years.

It would make a great looking restomod.

Big Oldsmobile fan here.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @mhardy6647

It will be interesting to see if cars go fully autonomous if there isnt a pull BACK to the cities from the suburbs due to transportation issues (ride sharing, time to get a car to you, etc).

It also would be interesting to see how that transition affects those that prefer to live in very rural areas. Will they still own their own cars, will there be pools of cars to facilitate their needs? Will they just maintain their own cars, and if so, who will service those?

Also fun to think about farming and where its going..... satellite controlled tractors (already there), weather based rain solutions (already there), etc.... Thats honestly one section of "vehicles" that I am very interested in seeing how automation solves problems, creates other problems, and then solves those too :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • halo
    @mhardy6647

It will be interesting to see if cars go fully autonomous if there isnt a pull BACK to the cities from the suburbs due to transportation issues (ride sharing, time to get a car to you, etc).

It also would be interesting to see how that transition affects those that prefer to live in very rural areas. Will they still own their own cars, will there be pools of cars to facilitate their needs? Will they just maintain their own cars, and if so, who will service those?

Also fun to think about farming and where its going..... satellite controlled tractors (already there), weather based rain solutions (already there), etc.... Thats honestly one section of "vehicles" that I am very interested in seeing how automation solves problems, creates other problems, and then solves those too :smile:

Makes me think of Red Barchetta by Rush
    https://youtu.be/uukZgfHZIoc
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2018
    @mhardy6647

1. The pull-back to the cities is in full swing -- check out real estate availability and prices in, say... Boston.

I think the suburbs in the US will soon become a lot like the suburbs of, say, Paris. They're not nice places. :(

2. Not sure what will happen to the truly rural areas in the US. We're right on the edge of rural here -- but it would be extremely difficult to live here without a vehicle. Town is 3 miles away, a nice walk on a nice day... but we get a lot of not nice days in the wintertime especially. Town has the post office, a library, a garage, and a general store/gas station. Oh, and a snooty private/boarding high school, but that's not a lot of help in terms of the necessities of life ;)

3. Our gardens are small -- but, so far, we work 'em with (mostly) hand tools. :)
    And we eat a lot of home-grown meals (no meat, of course, when fully home-grown!) -- and I think that's a very special and wonderful thing in 2018.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    I don't see that happening in Texas. If it does it will be one of the last states to have that happen as it is so big you really need a car here if you have friends or family in different parts of the state.

As far as moving back to the cities we have some people moving back to be closer to work. However the suburbs are still expanding here, some at a very fast rate with all of the out of state people moving in. I wish they would shut the gate as it is causing major traffic issues here in some cities.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    Vacation.....The best movie ever and we do quote lines around here on a daily basis.
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I was in the "city" the other day. Took 20 minutes to drive one mile, I could have walked faster. Over crowded, noisy and full of people who look very unhappy and unhealthy. Hard to believe anyone would be willing to pay through the nose to live like that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    Get a horse!
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Agenda 21....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    halo wrote: »
    @mhardy6647

DUDE I WAS THINKING THE VERY SAME THING!!!!
  • mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    I was in the "city" the other day. Took 20 minutes to drive one mile, I could have walked faster. Over crowded, noisy and full of people who look very unhappy and unhealthy. Hard to believe anyone would be willing to pay through the nose to live like that.

I don't disagree, but that does seem to be the way the winds of change are blowin'.
  • halo
    halo wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    DUDE I WAS THINKING THE VERY SAME THING!!!!

Great minds think alike Ivan ;)

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    SUVs and Trucks are all the rage. IMO have been for quite some time. Not only in the US, but worldwide. Since I last worked on a car, the venerable Chevy Malibu (currently in production), I have worked on SUVs non-stop. Currently working on an SUV (with multiple variants) intended for sale globally.

Cars seem to be headed more toward a niche or boutique marketplace. Mustang, Corvette, exotic imports, etc. or the ultra luxury vehicles, IMO.

Everyday use, customers tell us they want function. With that in mind, a car simply can't compete with an SUV. They regard a vehicle almost like an appliance. Nothing more.

Autonomous is yet another frontier. Ultimately the customers will tell us what they want. Right now it's the hottest thing in the industry, but just like the electric craze not so long ago, the market will bring it back into reality.

It's gonna be a ride for sure! No pun intended! :smile:

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I like my Ford sedan and hope it lasts a while! My wife has one too. Just not into SUVs. Btw, it's not so much that Ford thinks no one wants them anymore. Fact is, they ceded the market to Honda, Toyota, and.... Hyundai, as well as the luxury brands. Ford was actually losing money on cars.
  • nooshinjohn
    And Jaguar wants to become the European Tesla.... I will NOT buy a 100k glorified golf cart.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I like my Ford sedan and hope it lasts a while! My wife has one too. Just not into SUVs. Btw, it's not so much that Ford thinks no one wants them anymore. Fact is, they ceded the market to Honda, Toyota, and.... Hyundai, as well as the luxury brands. Ford was actually losing money on cars.

The car market is very tough. Low margins, lot's of low cost (labor/material) cars out there. Brand loyalty often yields to MSRP in this market, IMO.

Trucks and SUVs are more profitable, for sure.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    They need to bring back the wagon... Especially the 2 door variety >:)
  • verb
    And Jaguar wants to become the European Tesla.... I will NOT buy a 100k glorified golf cart.

IIRC, didn't Toto acuire Jaguar?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited October 2018
    FestYboy wrote: »
    They need to bring back the wagon... Especially the 2 door variety >:)

We had a few of these in the area back in the 1960s, including one barely not even a mile from the house in which I (pretended to) grow/grew up.

f9r67n7uwlo6.png

• nooshinjohn
    TATA has been at the helm of Jaguar for a decade now...