The SDA SRS's have landed at Verb's house!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited October 2018
    Interesting I wonder if the 198 is the same?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Good question. I would assume yes if they're using the same bezel.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Nice setup. Nice Hookah too.
  • verb
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Nice setup. Nice Hookah too.

Hehe! Colleague of mine who is Lebanese brought that back from the old country. Haven’t took it for a spin yet! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    My room has doors to a closet on either side of my speakers... I don't think the door presents too much of a problem.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • What’s that to the right of the right channel speaker?
  • verb
    What’s that to the right of the right channel speaker?

Got an RT1000p with an RT35i on top of it. Left channel too. I was planning for the HT setup originally on the opposite wall, and those guys were gonna be used as rear speakers. Since the SRS’s came into my life, I’m gonna flip front/rear and redo the whole setup. Fun stuff!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    la2vegas wrote: »
    All's fun til someone comes prancing through that door and catches that speaker cable with their foot. :#

Prancing? Hmmmmm....that would be Dave after listening to one too many Elton John songs. :p
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    There's no spikes installed on your Solidsteel rack, and also it looks like you are using a ground lift cheater plug.

hqdefault.jpg
  • verb
    Guys are killin me! Yeah yeah more work to do! :smile:
  • verb
    la2vegas wrote: »
    All's fun til someone comes prancing through that door and catches that speaker cable with their foot. :#i3tjcxh2g82h.jpg

Yep. Part of the reason I need to relocate the doorway. I have a cord protector to make is safe in the meantime.
  • verb
    Used some left over aluminum channel as a temporary protector. The other cable protectors were not big enough to fit over the MIT’s!
    d2nlp1yzf1kl.jpeg
  • This is what happens when you post some not perfect stuff on here. Everyone expects absolute cleanliness and perfection here (even when it doesn’t exist in their own houses) and they will nitpick you to death until you get it right :D;)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Do as we say, not as we do....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I'm assuming that is a concrete floor. Take a utility knife and straight edge to cut a strip and peel back enough to chip out a channel big enough for some 1/2" conduit. Then re-grout it flat. after the second or third time I'd trip and fall flat on my face with what you have there that's what I'd be doing... but then again I'm borderline obsessive compulsive.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    I appreciate all the comments gents. I really do. The basement is in a state of flux, one of the last remaining areas to be remodeled. I’ll keep everyone posted on my progress!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    This is what happens when you post some not perfect stuff on here. Everyone expects absolute cleanliness and perfection here (even when it doesn’t exist in their own houses) and they will nitpick you to death until you get it right :D;)

Didn’t work with you though.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited October 2018
    This is what happens when you post some not perfect stuff on here. Everyone expects absolute cleanliness and perfection here (even when it doesn’t exist in their own houses) and they will nitpick you to death until you get it right :D;)

I see you posted a smiley and a wink, so I believe you are not dead serious, but still,
    this is not always true. I posted a pic of my SDAs, which are in a less than ideal location. I know this. I know that people here know this. But I didn't ask for opinions on what people thought of my setup, or how I can improve it. They are set up (IMO) in the best place I can have them for the room they are in. And to my ears, they sound excellent.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • verb
    polrbehr wrote: »

I see you posted a smiley and a wink, so I believe you are not dead serious, but still,
    this is not always true. I posted a pic of my SDAs, which are in a less than ideal location. I know this. I know that people here know this. But I didn't ask for opinions on what people thought of my setup, or how I can improve it. They are set up (IMO) in the best place I can have them for the room they are in. And to my ears, they sound excellent.

Well said @polrbehr ! We’re all here on a journey. I’m in the basement right now rockin my setup! Is it fully optimized? Nope. Plenty more to do. But thoroughly enjoying where I’m at right now! :smile:

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited October 2018
    Breaking in those new tweeters proper are ya? :)B):p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    edited October 2018
    Yep - Still breaking em in. Only have a few hours on em, but they're smoothing out a bit. Tears for Fears playing right now! :smile:

I gotta tell ya Tony, the new Billy Idol album kicks it! And I know how you love the bass! :smile:

• Tony M
    Tears for Fears are great for SDA's!

Bass...I like. My friend came over Wed. to set up a BAG END PA system he bought the night before. He knew the speakers worked but he wanted to check out a ton of other gear that came with them. He bought his PA system from a church also. He got one heck of a deal just like I did. Well he found out the Mixer/control board has a glitch but hitting it made it work for the duration it was set up in my drive way. 2-18" subs and 2-12"ers with a horn sat on poles above the subs. Man I should've taken a picture of that set up!! Maybe he did with his phone.

But we sure gave that system a thorough testing for about 2 hours. I brought out my SPL meter and it hit 110 dbs a few times. mostly we listened to about 80 dbs. at 20-25 ft. away on average. I'm sure my neighborhood could hear us. :D I have great neighbors close by so no worries there.

I'm really getting caught up around the outside and have been antsy to getting back to rockin' and organizing on the inside again. And then to downsizing.

I haven't used that Karma connecting cable yet. Do you need it for your "new to you" SRS's?

• nooshinjohn
    The Oak Ridge Boys is pretty special on these as well...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    That sounds awesome Tony! Good neighbors for sure. Actually the SRS's came with the stock IC cable. So I'm all set! Thanks brother!
  • verb
    edited November 2018
    So I’m down in the basement. Just got home from dinner. Had the VTL pre warming up the whole time. Preparation ya know!

Man the SRS’s really kick out the bass! Very tight, in no way muddled.

I’m continued to be amazed with these speakers! 10 foot equilateral triangle and still some sounds seem like they are coming from behind me!

Tweeters are still settling down, but they are sounding just a bit sweeter today!
  • Tony M
    I've heard the same phenomenon a few times myself with my SRS2's with a few songs but the one that I remember the most is with "Frankenstein".

I've heard the sound come at me then beside me and then from behind me with Edgar Winter's song "Frankenstein". That long synthesizer run in the middle does it every time. B)

I haven't heard another speaker set from another manufacturer do this, ever.
  • nooshinjohn
    On some recordings, it seems as though my 19’6” by 15’8” room sounds as if the space is a full sized concert hall. Close your eyes, a double shot of Jefferson Reserve 35 year old wine-cask finished whiskey, and the illusion is complete.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    ^^^^^^I listened to Frankenstein at a healthy volume recently on my 1.2's and I agree that song is downright amazing on the big sda's.
  • verb
    On some recordings, it seems as though my 19’6” by 15’8” room sounds as if the space is a full sized concert hall. Close your eyes, a double shot of Jefferson Reserve 35 year old wine-cask finished whiskey, and the illusion is complete.

Had a couple of Jack & Diet Cokes at dinner (doubles no less!) and yes the experience was greatly enhanced! Dang dude, a whiskey rabbit hole? Sounds like fun!