Advice on setup, A9, RX-A1070, Emotiva, FX-A6, DSW 440

Here's what I have:
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1070
2 RTI A9 w/ Emotiva XPA-3
Polk FXI-A6
Polk T30 Center
Polk DSW PRO 440

The dilemma:
I had a large room in the basement but have recently moved to a smaller room (very small) so the A9's look huge and trying to configure the home theatre w/projector.

I have some questions for you experts since I just bought a bunch of crap hoping it would all work and knowing next to nothing! :smile:

Does the amp really do anything for my A9's given the receiver I have? I kept reading they are power hungry so i bought the amp, but then upgraded my receiver.

When watching movies in surround, the center sounds like crap compared to the sound coming from the A9 in stereo when watching movies (particularly speaking parts). I ordered the Polk Audio Signature S35 to see if that improves it, but I'm not sure it will!

What's the proper way to manage bass between the A9s and the Sub? I think I'm getting there but would like some advice on how to use them both efficiently.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    short answer yes they need an amp. The proper center channel to match you RTiA would of been CSiA4 or CSiA6. I'm not sure how the signature center will match in the tonal aspect to the RTiA9's. Some feel the Emo amps with the RTiA speaker can be a little too in your face bright. The best way to handle bass IMO would be to either cut all speakers at 80hz and let the sub do the low end or if you can let the two front RTiA9's and the sub do the work. Some recievers will let you send both LFE to the mains and the sub so you will need to try both to see which sounds better in your room.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    You need a CSiA6. Send the S35 back.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    =1. If you want to save some coin, the CSi5 is virtually identical sonically to the CSiA6.

I would run the 9s full range since you have the juice on hand.

If you really feel that they overwhelm the room, you could sell them, buy the signature or LSIM bookies and a second sub and would have more options placement wise. But you would also need nice stands which drives up the cost...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Since your room is smaller I would go with the smaller center CSiA4 and set the crossover in the AVR at 60hz. The smaller RtiA center is a good match also because it uses the same 5.25” drivers as the A9s.

I’ve had a similar setup RTI Emotiva and an RXA1010...let YPAO do it’s thing then set them all to small and 60hz. You’ll still get the most of the range out of the big A9s but the surround sound will be seamless and more immersive. Also this helps to keep from taxing the AVR trying to power surrounds at full range (it won’t keep up with the XPA). When listening to stereo use pure direct to listen at full range and enjoy with no eq.

And yes the A9s and center are better off powered by XPA no matter the room size.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Hello and welcome to the forum,

For RTi-A speakers you WILL need an RTI-A/CSi center speaker. When mix matching center speaker I've found that the center can go up a to higher quality but never down. I use a CSi-A6 on with my Signature S60 and it works well. Audyssey EQ blends it nice with my setup.

Look on your local Craigslist for a CSI center

I recently added an XPA3 Gen3 to my system. I found that having the C/O any less than 80hz I was getting noise cancelation effect. It was hollow and thin sounding.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    No reason to let those A9's drown out that T30 center channel, a CSIA6 is the perfect match for a seamless front stage.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The A-6 is the correct for the A-9’s.

Assuming your running the front three from the Emo, and you ran YPAO, your speakers should be calibrated. Calibration programs aren’t perfect, but really good so you may have to make some adjustments.

You may try going into your speaker settings and booking the center by a decibel or so, and setting them to small will probably improve the dialogue. If you set the
    A-9’s to large, in a smaller room, the bass from the woofers may be overwhelming the front stage.

Incidently, the amp isn’t to necessarily make your speakers louder, but to improve the overall sound. Having bright speakers with a bright amp, you shouldn’t really have a problem hearing dialogue clearly.

As far a sub integration, calibration programs can do only so much. Proper placement is a major component for sub preformance.
  • Thanks for the repsonse and welcome! Can you clarify this @mrloren ? C/O?
    mrloren wrote: »
    I recently added an XPA3 Gen3 to my system. I found that having the C/O any less than 80hz I was getting noise cancelation effect. It was hollow and thin sounding.

• Thanks for the feedback everyone! I received the S35. While it has noticeably clearer dialogue and sounds a lot better than my previous center, for the few days I didn't have it, I unplugged the center channel all together and found that the A9's sounded really great for dialogue. With the S35, it sounds as if they're only providing minimal support to the center. Is that to be expected? Majority of sound coming from the center? I did the YPAO setup and that's what it came out with. I'm wondering if that would change with the CSI A6 you all recommend, or wouldn't sound as thin as the S35. Seems like a waste of these monster speakers to have them do so little. The trouble is the A6 is a monster in size compared to the S35!

Two final questions - should the center also be run through the XPA?
    Is it common to listen to music in stereo instead of the surround?

THANKS AGAIN for the answers and warm welcome! Really appreciate it!
  • Nevermind @mrloren I get it - Crossover.
  • mrloren
    CSI-A6 or CSI-5 or all of your front stage should have the same power.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited October 2018
    Size is why I suggested the smaller CSiA4.

Yes most don’t listen to music through surround, unless it’s a multichannel SACD.

60hz is a nice compromise for your crossover point the RTI’s will start falling of a little less than that anyway. 80hz is THX and helps your AVR a lot, but you’ve got a beefy amp that’ll handle it. Also a decent sub will almost always do a better job than a full range speaker. The A9 is no exception.

But back to two channel listening a sub may not blend well and smear your soundstage.

Keep in mind your c/o point is not a hard stop. It’s graduated, the A9s and the sub will get some attenuated signals on the other side of that crossover point.

And again a simple push of the pure direct button will let you listen at full range for music or whatever. No matter your c/o point.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrloren
    One thing I found recently is my sub and speaker were canceling each other. So watch that C/O point. Start at 60hz, if you notice improvement going to 80hz then keep it there. Then go to 90hz and see if it's any different. Up the C/O till you can't tell the difference between them. For me 70hz to 80hz is a noticeable difference. 80hz to 90hz made no difference at all.

For center the CSI-3 or CSi-A4 are nice speakers. I like the CSi-5 and CSi-A6. I had a CSI-5, Built my first TV stand and couldn't figure how to make a CSi-5 fit. Traded it for a 3. For two years I missed the CSI-5. I gained a ton of woodwork skill and made a stand for the bigger center. I'm never looking back. I even tried a S30 which was great with my Signatures but the big bad center sounds sooooooo clear and detailed. Now with an XPA 3 pushing it it's sweet.

Look at your local Craigslist for a deal. I picked up my CSiA6 for $70 from CL.

• Canceling out? Sounds like a phase issue. I’d play with the distance setting or location a bit before I messed with the c/o.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Majority of sound coming from the center?

Yep, that's why you need a big center.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk